Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Jack Daniels (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/817455-jack-daniels.html)

Digital Gee 05-11-12 08:55 PM

Jack Daniels

So I'm sitting here on a Friday night, sipping a Jack Daniels, thinking there must be a cycling connection between JD and bikes and therefore a reason to start a new thread.

However, I can't think of one. For some reason, my thinking is a bit cloudy. Can I get a little help here?

Dudelsack 05-11-12 08:58 PM

About a month ago I cycled from south Louisville to Bernheim Forest, and the route took me right by the Jim Beam distillery. Jim Beam is a competitor of Jack Daniels.

So there you go. The connection is obvious.

Digital Gee 05-11-12 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 14212699)
About a month ago I cycled from south Louisville to Bernheim Forest, and the route took me right by the Jim Beam distillery. Jim Beam is a competitor of Jack Daniels.

So there you go. The connection is obvious.

Viola! And you make it look so easy! <hic>

teachme 05-11-12 09:05 PM

Im my cycling group one of the riders bike is named Jack and anothers riders bike is named Danielle. They usually ride side by side at the lead so therefore everyone in our group follows the riders on Jack&Danielle. There ride is always nice and crispy, not too easy, but at the same time not overbearing.

miss kenton 05-11-12 09:11 PM

I don't want to go off topic here, but I am sitting here on a Friday night sipping a red wine called "Bully Hill." That is all.

Digital Gee 05-11-12 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by miss kenton (Post 14212736)
I don't want to go off topic here, but I am sitting here on a Friday night sipping a red wine called "Bully Hill." That is all.

Here's to sitting around on a Friday night and sipping an alcoholic beverage. :)

teachme 05-11-12 09:22 PM

Limearita here! Carry on!

Artkansas 05-11-12 09:22 PM

Charlie Daniels used to be the Secretary of State for Arkansas. Oops, wrong Daniels.

teachme 05-11-12 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 14212770)
Charlie Daniels used to be the Secretary of State for Arkansas. Oops, wrong Daniels.

I thought Charlie Daniels was a fiddle player!

CACycling 05-11-12 09:31 PM

Old No. 7 is aged in barrels. Barrels are round. Bicycle wheels are round.

Sipping Jack Daniels feels good. Riding a bike feels good.

I'd go on but just finished a bottle of merlot (had to have something to accompany the filet mignon, baked potato, corn on the cob & bread) and my brain is way too relaxed for word puzzles.

overthehillmedi 05-11-12 09:33 PM

Well, there is always the question of why are you sitting around sipping rotgut instead of going for a ride with Mrs.Jones. :)

Mobile 155 05-11-12 09:46 PM

How about this, one reason some people take up cycling is because after an evening with Jack Daniels they run into problems with John Law?

Bikey Mikey 05-12-12 04:41 AM

As CACycling states, Old no. 7 is aged in wooden barrels. Bicycle wheels used to be made from wood--even bicycles used to be made from wood--connection made.

donheff 05-12-12 05:42 AM

You can enter the Jack Daniel's Bike to Jack and Back ride. Or you can win a different kind of bike buying Jack Daniels.

SuperDave 05-12-12 07:55 AM

Dunno. The connection between the two has always been intuitive for me - never really analyzed it. I ride, I Jack. :)

Dudelsack 05-12-12 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by SuperDave (Post 14213544)
Dunno. The connection between the two has always been intuitive for me - never really analyzed it. I ride, I Jack. :)

Um...

wobblyoldgeezer 05-12-12 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 14212688)
thinking there must be a cycling connection between JD and bikes Can I get a little help here?

Certainly. I'm sitting after a pleasant weekend (Fri and Sat are the weekend here) which involved a couple of warm bike rides, and helping a pal reassemble a very nice Giant Talon 0, after his move here from Brisbane

And my slurp of choice at the moment is Beefeater and tonic, lots of ice, lemon peel and a slice of lime. Like bikes, liquor should be white. Brown drinks are so 70s, all mustaches and crimplene suits with waistcoats. Not good.

Glad to help.

Digital Gee 05-12-12 10:06 AM

Now that it's the morning after the night before, I'm delighted with all the wisdom that shows up on the 50+ Forum, especially on critical matters such as spirits and such. I have no hangover this morning, because I was proactive enough to hydrate well last night.

I am alarmed, however, at the amount of Jack which remains in the bottle. That can't be right. There has to be more than that. :)

NOS88 05-12-12 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 14213883)
Now that it's the morning after the night before, I'm delighted with all the wisdom that shows up on the 50+ Forum, especially on critical matters such as spirits and such. I have no hangover this morning, because I was proactive enough to hydrate well last night.

I am alarmed, however, at the amount of Jack which remains in the bottle. That can't be right. There has to be more than that. :)

Perhaps the problem lies in not being able to satiate your taste buds with a less than real bourbon? ;) I would suggest considering Willett Single Barrel Reserve, Woodford Reserve, Black Maple Hill 20 year old, Blanton's Barrel Proof, Eagle Rare17 year old, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 18 year old, Jefferson's Presidential Select, Four Roses Single Barrel, Pappy Van Winkle, Booker's, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, or Ezra B Single Barrel as alternatives.

Grand Bois 05-12-12 10:21 AM

My daughter's right. Old guys are really boring.

overthehillmedi 05-12-12 10:23 AM

It is the cat's fault the level isn't what you expected. Cats are well known to hit the bottle at night, that's way they sleep all day. :)

Mort Canard 05-12-12 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 14213883)

My fault! I helped myself. Le'chayim! :D

overthehillmedi 05-12-12 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 14213932)
Perhaps the problem lies in not being able to satiate your taste buds with a less than real bourbon? ;) I would suggest considering Willett Single Barrel Reserve, Woodford Reserve, Black Maple Hill 20 year old, Blanton's Barrel Proof, Eagle Rare17 year old, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 18 year old, Jefferson's Presidential Select, Four Roses Single Barrel, Pappy Van Winkle, Booker's, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, or Ezra B Single Barrel as alternatives.

So where does Makers Mark list out at?

Digital Gee 05-12-12 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 14213932)

You didn't mention Knob Creek. Would you include that on your excellent list, or does it also not quite make the grade?

NOS88 05-12-12 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi (Post 14213948)
So where does Makers Mark list out at?

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 14213998)
You didn't mention Knob Creek. Would you include that on your excellent list, or does it also not quite make the grade?

Some people collect wine. I collect bourbon. So, I only included those that are in my cabinet at present. Both MM and KC are, however, fine bourbons.

Oh, and to keep this cycling related. I tend to "cycle" through them and not stay with one as a standard pour.