Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

HAPPY FATHERS DAY, Gentlemen

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 10:51 PM

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To all the dad's out there, enjoy your day. My son is signing a lease on his first apartment at 2:00 pm today.
Old 06-17-12, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I will certainly be honoring my Dad today. I was away on Mother's day, so today, I am taking Mom and my 87 year old Dad out for a special dinner. I am so lucky to still have them both. My wife lost both her parents many years ago.
Old 06-17-12, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
We had our major "gathering of the clan" yesterday. I counted 28 people but I might be off by one or two. We rented a pavillion in a local county park and they gave us a whole area complete with toddler playground. Even the rest rooms were clean. It was great. Food, fishing, a place for kids to frolic and conversation. What's not to like. There are some relatively non-technical mountain bike trails but nobody brought bikes.

Today will be relatively low key. Mrs. Grouch and I are having brunch with a daughter-in-law and the littliest angel and steak dinner for (probably) just the two of us.
Old 06-17-12, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure how long my dad will be around. He's been having quite a few issues lately--he's only 83. My wife's dad and mom are doing quite well. Thanks for the Happy Father's Day and the same comes from me to all the other dad's on the forums.
Old 06-17-12, 08:01 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Happy Father's Day to all you cycling daddies! Ride safe and I hope you all get bike gear instead of a necktie!
Old 06-17-12, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Good Luck to you and your son.
And Happy Father's Day.
Old 06-17-12, 08:34 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
A very Happy Father's Day to you and to all the others here. I choose not to do it and just have a family day with the others. bar-b-que this afternoon. I'll provide PIE, I suppose. What else can a 50+ bicyclist bring that is fitting?!!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-17-12, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My dad is gone now but in a way he is still here. If I'm in a quandary over some issue, I've often found myself asking how he would handle it and the decision is always one I'm satisfied with.
Old 06-17-12, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sign of the times my son 'texted me a happy father's day!'. I was not angry just a bit disappointed that it was too much trouble to pick up the phone. On the bright side I picked up my new shifters at the LBS. Happy Father's day to all.
Old 06-17-12, 06:04 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I lost my dad when he was only 61. However, this morning I and 8 other guys sang at a church north of Denver in Lafayette, CO, and then my son and daughter-in-law came over for lunch and we had a great time. I got a gift certificate for Coldstone Creamery. Sadly, 1/3rd of that certificate is already used up.
Old 06-17-12, 06:10 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...And all the single moms doing double duty.......
Old 06-17-12, 07:01 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After being alienated from my children for 13 years, after a horrible divorce where my ex is still doing everything she can to keep us apart, my older son finally had enough of it, and showed incredibly bravery in breaking away from his mother's control. He contacted me out of the blue a couple of months ago (thank you Facebook), and we started communicating. I visited him for his birthday earlier this month, and received a call, a Facebook message and card for Father's Day. Reuniting with him has been truly life-changing for me, and I am truly proud of him. Here we are tasting wine at Iron Horse Vineyards, near where he is living and starting an organic duck farm.

Life is good!

Old 06-17-12, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
After being alienated from my children for 13 years, after a horrible divorce where my ex is still doing everything she can to keep us apart, my older son finally had enough of it, and showed incredibly bravery in breaking away from his mother's control. He contacted me out of the blue a couple of months ago (thank you Facebook), and we started communicating. I visited him for his birthday earlier this month, and received a call, a Facebook message and card for Father's Day. Reuniting with him has been truly life-changing for me, and I am truly proud of him. Here we are tasting wine at Iron Horse Vineyards, near where he is living and starting an organic duck farm.

Life is good!

I'll drink to that.
You'll never get those 13 years back, but making up for lost time can be sweet.
Old 06-17-12, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

My family took me out to Loovul Slugger Field to watch our AAA team, the Bats, affiliated with the Creds, play the evil Rochester Redwings, affiliated with the Twinks.

The evil Rochester team is pretty bad, but the Bats are even worse, and we lost a game with few exciting moments.

It was the thought that counted, and the ball park is really nice. No bad seats, and you dont need field glasses to see the action.

My granddaughter hung in their until her dad ate her Sno-cone. Then it got ugly.

Old 06-17-12, 08:38 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
At first I hesitated to open this as, well, kinda boring and way off base. And while it may be off base for riding, it's right on for the +50 forum.

So many of us can relate to the many diverse posts. It's really great to see the heartfelt wishes of Miss Kenton, the sensitive and understanding post of Condorita, and the touching story from AzTallRider.

For me, the day was spent with my honey, then with my Iron Man Tyler and his family, mostly in the pool. Then we had a short respite to nap, and my oldest son and is (hopefully) soon to be fiance dropped by for some games and fun time. Now we're watching the NBA finals. Most of us are HEAT fans.

Personally I'm not a big fan of most pro sports. For me, it's a performance, not unlike an opera, ballet, theater, concert, or other entertainment event where you go to watch professionals "do their thing" for our entertainment. It's a fun night out, but it could also be a great movie or TV show. It's just a good time for an evening.

On the other hand, I really enjoy watching sports in which I participate, like cycling, golf, badminton, skating, and tennis. In these cases, I can really relate to the level at which these professionals perform.

Did you realize in the 2010 TDF Fabin Cancellara did the 19th stage in
one hour and 56 seconds over the 52 kilometre course? That's 1 hr and 1 min over
32.1 miles, about 32 mph. Average. For an hour.

When was the last time you did 32 in a 100 yd sprint?

Happy Fathers day! Enjoy your many blessings!
Old 06-17-12, 08:39 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider

Life is good!

Great photo! Your post had me misty-eyed. Good for you and your son!
Old 06-17-12, 08:52 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Father's Day here felt like Mother's Day. The hubby spent most of his day playing soccer followed by a BBQ with his team mates. This left me alone to work in my garden which is a joy to me.
Hubby came home to shower and nap while my second son went grocery shopping for me and bought steaks, salad ingredients, and a decadent chocolate cake. My son came back, prepared the salad and grilled the steaks while I went and bought a couple of bottles of merlot. My sister was here and set the table out in our screen-house while I was gone.
We had a delicious al fresco dinner and then my daughter stopped by. I got to visit with my sister and daughter while my son took his dad out to see some lame-o guy flick! It has been a great day for my husband...and me!
Old 06-17-12, 10:22 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Spent the day at nephews graduation from UCSD.
Old 06-18-12, 06:20 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
My family took me out to Loovul Slugger Field to watch our AAA team, the Bats, affiliated with the Creds, play the evil Rochester Redwings, affiliated with the Twinks.

The evil Rochester team is pretty bad, but the Bats are even worse, and we lost a game with few exciting moments.

It was the thought that counted, and the ball park is really nice. No bad seats, and you dont need field glasses to see the action.

My granddaughter hung in their until her dad ate her Sno-cone. Then it got ugly.
Our Blue Wahoos are the AA affiliate for the CReds, Dudel. Nice looking stadium y'all have.

Thanks for the thread Miss K'. as usual your post was very well put and timely.

AzTAll, the reuniting woth your son is just too cool. he looks as tall as you are, must be a tall family!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-19-12, 08:47 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
In 2001 my father started a tradition of annual family reunions at places like Lake Tahoe, Monterey CA, Alaska cruise, Midway UT, Powder Mountain UT, Cleone (Ft. Bragg) CA, and Lawrence Welk Resort CA. (Yes, I have had lots of coworkers ask to join our clan. ) Shortly after our 2011 reunion and just in time for his 82nd birthday, he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. My wife and I visited him last fall, when he was between chemo treatments and actually feeling pretty good, and he took my stepmother for a surprise two-week cruise "home" (his birthplace, Kauai, HI) in December. The cruise went extremely well, but it was all downhill from there, and we had an early unscheduled family reunion of sorts in Springville UT for the funeral in March.

I just returned from our first regular family union without him, the last one he had helped plan, at Zion Ponderosa Ranch UT. All of us had a great time, and I think it did my stepmother a world of good, since her only children and grandchildren are my brother and me and our sons. Fortunately, my father did live long enough to see his first great-grandchild, who is also the first girl in four generations. (She is not spoiled or anything ... ).

My elder son and his wife took good care of me with a bright yellow Camelbak, which came in very handy in the 100-degree heat. My boys have lost both of their grandfathers to cancer in a 2-year span.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069