Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

December New England Rides

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 03:04 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Didn't think I would be riding in December here in New England. I am not much for cold weather riding anyway and November is usually my last riding month. But I was just 21 miles from hitting 1800 miles for the season and yesterday was in the mid 50's. So I got 24 miles in and got to 1803. Well this morning looked to be more of the same so I got in another 21.That will probably be it for outdoor rides for this year but I was psyched to be able to get those rides in. Just nice to be outdoors on two wheels and not freezing.
Old 12-04-12, 03:45 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
You need a cyclocross bike and some rail/trails. I was a dedicated road guy until several months ago. I bought a Raleigh cross bike and it is more fun than I ever imagined. Love this bike and this type of riding. I'm in northeast CT btw.
Old 12-04-12, 04:34 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
You need a cyclocross bike and some rail/trails. I was a dedicated road guy until several months ago. I bought a Raleigh cross bike and it is more fun than I ever imagined. Love this bike and this type of riding. I'm in northeast CT btw.
Why would a cyclocross bike and rail trails make any difference in the cold weather?
Old 12-04-12, 05:54 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Why would a cyclocross bike and rail trails make any difference in the cold weather?
'Cause there's not a lot of black ice on trails and the cold winds are broken by trees (even without leaves) and you are not going up or down hills (rail/trails are minimal grades) so no 25-35 mph speeds in cold weather. And since you're not working up a lather on the up hills you don't face body temps going up and down....heating and cooling in cold air. Just a few things.
Old 12-04-12, 07:34 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Last winter was pretty kind to us northeasterners. Cold weather riding is just a matter of preparing yourself with layers, and avoiding ice. I don't mind looking like a Fred, especially in the winter. My key to keeping warm is to wrap an acrylic scarf round my chest and across my face so nose and cheeks stay warm.

Anyway, it's good that you met your goal for the year.
Old 12-04-12, 07:41 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Didn't think I would be riding in December here in New England. I am not much for cold weather riding anyway and November is usually my last riding month. But I was just 21 miles from hitting 1800 miles for the season and yesterday was in the mid 50's. So I got 24 miles in and got to 1803. Well this morning looked to be more of the same so I got in another 21.That will probably be it for outdoor rides for this year but I was psyched to be able to get those rides in. Just nice to be outdoors on two wheels and not freezing.
With the mild winters we've been having you may need to find other reasons not to ride...

And, just keeping the wind off with a few layers underneath can do wonders to keep you warm on cool days...
Old 12-04-12, 10:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
Last winter was pretty kind to us northeasterners. Cold weather riding is just a matter of preparing yourself with layers, and avoiding ice. I don't mind looking like a Fred, especially in the winter. My key to keeping warm is to wrap an acrylic scarf round my chest and across my face so nose and cheeks stay warm.

Anyway, it's good that you met your goal for the year.
Yup. I think I only lost maybe 5 days to weather last winter. Coldest ride was about 14F. I rode an old cruiser, wearing ski pants and ski goggles. There was once where it was about 8F. I stayed in that day.

Balaclavas help, too.
Old 12-05-12, 07:37 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I also like trails more than roads in the winter. Less ice, no salt to damage the bike. The snow is clean. Just dress well and have good tires. I using a knobby cyclocross tire when ice is minimal, studs when hardpack snow and ice are more common.

I carry extra gloves and use multiple boot covers. Enjoy!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-05-12, 08:20 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not quite in New England, but I did get in a 30 mile breakfast ride this past Sunday. The temperature was a balmy 48F and it only rained the last 10 miles or so.

Looking foreward to another, cooler ride next Sunday.
Old 12-05-12, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Hey Tim. It's not that bad riding around here. Brandon and I are out quite a bit with others very often. On Thanksgiving weekend we spent two days riding in Maine. Dress up a little and use you bike for getting around town. Things like the coffee shop, grocery shopping or just going for a short ride.
Old 12-05-12, 04:44 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
Hey Tim. It's not that bad riding around here. Brandon and I are out quite a bit with others very often. On Thanksgiving weekend we spent two days riding in Maine. Dress up a little and use you bike for getting around town. Things like the coffee shop, grocery shopping or just going for a short ride.

Hey John, nice to hear from you again. Your point about using the bike around town is on point. I've been thinking about using the bike for local marketing and errands, banking, post office etc. see you around the canal some time.
Old 12-06-12, 08:52 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
TimT, my sweetie and I spent a lot of time and miles last year on the CCRT and OCRT. Maybe we'll do some more this year, and perhaps you'd like to join us. Of course, the trick is to dress like you're x-c skiing.
Old 12-06-12, 02:04 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I just got home from a very nice 37 mile ride on a gorgeous blue bird day in the Tiverton and Westport area. Temps was 28F when I left the house about 8:30 AM and then rose to mid 30s F by mid afternoon. Mostly I'm riding shorter distances around town for shopping, post office, etc.