Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else enjoying cooler weather riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 03:49 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I've been doing more cooler weather riding this year than before, and I am really enjoying it. "Cooler weather riding" to me means somewhere between 30F and about 40F, and, as always, we have wind with that - usually 5 - 10 mph.

I haven't been taking long rides as 1) I am confined to my very slow mtn bike due to my surgery/fusion recovery and the need to not stretch out too low; 2) I also do not have all my energy back, due to my surgery recovery; and 3) Everything just seem SLOWER in these temps. I have found a combination of clothes, hoods, gloves, etc., that keep me warm enough even in the wind chill of 30F and a 10 mph wind.

Today, I had a snow shower on the way back this am from swimming at the rec center/

It SURE beats the indoor trainer.

And, again, due to my fusion, etc., I won't be riding when the trails are icy.

So, how about you? Riding in cooler (or cold) weather? I know some of you far outshine me - i.e., tsl in Rochester and COdude, but some of us mere human folks find even 30F a great experience.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-15-10 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 04:00 PM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
We've been having lows in the mid 60's and highs in the upper 70's and I'm enjoying it. Funny, everyone else around here is in sweaters and winter jackets but I'm still riding in my shorts.
Old 11-15-10, 04:01 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Will find out tomorrow morning.

Doing one of my commutes home from work and the forecast temp is below freezing. Don't think that will be a problem but with the amount of riding I have not been doing- the 35 miles and 3,000ft of climbing may be.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-15-10, 04:09 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
The cold I've been able to dress for. Its that stinking wind that makes me grind my teeth! I had a very nice 3 hour ride Saturday.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-15-10, 04:16 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It was in the high 30's when I rode to work on Sunday. Almost no traffic and brilliant fall colors so it was a nice ride.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-15-10, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
It SURE beats the indoor trainer.
+1 I hate the indoor trainer.

Although I admit to setting my up this afternoon. After going for a ride, that is.

It's been frosty in the mornings here, and I've got the cold weather gear out. So, yeah, I've been enjoying cooler weather riding.
Old 11-15-10, 04:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[It SURE beats the indoor trainer.
Slamming your thumb in a door,beats indoor trainers,
Bud
Old 11-15-10, 05:42 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yes, I am enjoying riding in the cooler weather. But cooler for me is 50 to 70, not 30 to 40. That's just plain cold to me, but still better than riding on the trainer.
Old 11-15-10, 05:46 PM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I prefer cooler weather cycling. Having been an avid skier and hockey player as a kid (when winters were winter), I came to really love the cold. Much easier to stay warm in the the cold than cool in the summer.
Old 11-15-10, 05:49 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It was rather cool last Sunday. 43F when I left the house and 56F when I got home. That's about as cool as I like.
I REALLY like 80-95F.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-15-10, 05:52 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Not no but hell no. Cold weather sucks and anyone who likes it might be a fascist.
Old 11-15-10, 05:52 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but it has been an excellent November so not really that cool. For the past week it has got up to 50+ most days, which ain't bad for Canada.
Old 11-15-10, 05:56 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Compared to warm weather riding I don't enjoy it, compared to not riding at all I do enjoy it, compared to a trainer it is shear heaven.
Old 11-15-10, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love to ride when shorts and a t shirt are called for. Riding here in the 50's with a breeze means layering. Still having trouble keeping my toes warm. I think it's a circulation thing. Still great to be outdoors and feeling alive.
Old 11-15-10, 06:07 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I hope to get in another 500 miles between now and X-mass. I'm good down to 25f on a clear day with light winds.
Old 11-15-10, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I also hope to get in some more miles before the snow, ice, and freezing rain start flying. Some winters around the Boston area aren't too bad though. I have even ridden in January if the roads are good.
Riding in "the off season" has its advantages. The winter sky and weak sun, the bare trees, the dark that comes as soon as 4 PM all add a bleak, other-worldly feel. It's frequently quiet. If you ride on the MUPS, they are all but deserted. You'll receive friendly nods from the rare other cyclists you see. It's a "We all a little nuts, aren't we?" look.

You have to dress for it. This means spending a little more capital on such things as a good jacket, gloves, good tights, and something to keep you ears and head warm. You DO NOT WANT "red ear".
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi tights for winter riding. The outer layer is heavy spandex weave. The inner layer is a fleece consisting of 50% wool, and 50% acrylic. Warm? You betcha! And yes, they are machine washable.
The only thing is that when you come in, you'll need to take them off asap. You'll get hot fast if you don't.

Low 30's is about my limit though. I have found that as I age, I am more sensitive to it. Anyone else run into this?
Old 11-15-10, 08:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far, so good. Had my first day of sub-40 degree commuting last week and it was surprisingly pleasant. Two layers were enough. I am ALL about the pit-zips! When the temperature dips below 30, I can see that some kind of head/ear cover will be needed so I'm contemplating the options.
Old 11-15-10, 08:26 PM
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is the first year that I've been riding this far into winter. Even though I'd rather have temperatures in the 50's to 60's F, I'm finding out how to ride in the 40's and still be comfortable. I hate starting out, but once warmed up, I'm very comfortable with a short sleeve jersey and arm warmers while wearing shorts. My legs don't even feel the cold. If the wind is blowing hard, I need a windbreaker, but that seems to be it so far.

Oh, I'm forgetting about ear warmers. Once temps are below 50F the ear warmers are worn. Otherwise they get really really cold. I also do Chap Stick. My lips get horribly chapped otherwise. Above 50, it isn't so bad. I'll have to find out once the weather turns colder, but so far, if the sun is shining, I'm out and spinning.
Old 11-15-10, 09:20 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It hasn't got really cold yet in Vancouver; still around 6 deg C, today it was a downright balmy 10 deg C. I'm still confined to the rollers, but I am outside in the carport on them, in a thin long-sleeve jersey and in shorts, since there's no wind. This way I don't start sweating until after about 18 minutes on the rollers. It looks like it will rain all week, and when the rain comes, the temperatures rise a bit.

Looking forward to being back on the road in December. With good shoe covers and warm gloves and a thin cycling cap underneath the helmet, cold weather is no problem. I'll also be riding on the indoor velodrome once or twice a week, too. Sometimes they don't turn up the heat inside the air-support structure, so it can take a few laps before you start getting warm. But even then, it's nothing like riding outside.

L.
Old 11-15-10, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not a big fan of winter. As a matter of fact, winter sucks, but I'm still riding. We rode 65 miles in tights on Saturday. Even though these tights are fairly stretchy, I still felt that my legs were a little bound up. The ride turned out to be pretty nice because the leaves are at or near peak in these parts.

On the previous weekend, we rode 70 miles. It was a cold start, about 28F. The first half of the ride included tights, neck gaiter, balaclava, wind jacket etc. It warmed up enough that I shed all the winter stuff except for the wind jacket on the return trip. We had a SAG for snacks and a clothes dump. Having the tights and most of the other junk off made a big difference. Riding felt right again.

I plan to continue riding all winter (except in snow or ice) as I did last year. The wind front tights will come soon enough, and they are a big drag on the legs as well.
Old 11-15-10, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I rather enjoy riding in colder temps - after the first few miles, that is. What I dislike is the 'getting dressed' part that comes first.
Old 11-15-10, 10:31 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I REALLY like 80-95F.
+1
Old 11-16-10, 06:14 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
+1
Old 11-16-10, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Winter riding lays the ground work for that first glorious spring ride in bib shorts and jersey again..
Old 11-16-10, 06:34 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I rather enjoy riding in colder temps - after the first few miles, that is. What I dislike is the 'getting dressed' part that comes first.
Louis, you've hit the nail on the head!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.