Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fitting problem!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fitting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 06:26 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Fitting problem!

I'm getting my nearly finished Terraferma ready for the Michigan riding season. Trainer rides tell me I don't like how it feels, and I think it's that my hands want to come back toward me from the hoods. I'm using RRP brake levers on Noodle bars, so I don't think there's an issue with bar/hood position, I can make a lot of adjustment if I want to. But I think the basic problem is that once I get my saddle set right and am warmed up in the position, I don't want to be in that aggressive of a position. I need less bar reach, less top tube, or less stem length.

Terraferma bikes are custom-built, but this was not built for me. It's entirely possible the TT is too long, but obviously I can't adjust the frame!

Question: Is it equivalent to reduce the stem length versus the handlebar reach? I can get a compact bar, like an FSA, that reaches only about 75 or 80 mm to replace the Noodle that reaches about 110 mm. I'm already using a pretty short Nitto Tech Deluxe, 7 cm, so it will not be easy to find a shorter stem if that's really better in some way.

I'm also going to go to a 38 cm bar width if my bar bag will clear the brake levers. My bar height is already about saddle level. There is still adjustment range in the stem so I could experiment with higher bar, first.

I'm putting this in 50+ first because I are one, and second because I think my position preferences are changing with age, at least for this early season.

I am centrally challenged, in that my belly is often where my thighs want to go while pedaling.
Old 02-12-13, 07:25 AM
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, your right as we age settings will need to be altered. As mentioned above try flipping the stem or get a very short adjustable one and raise it some. If you have your saddle correct now all you need to work on is your position. Get it setup just as if you were on a mountain bike. Not hunched over so your knees hit your belly and not too much reach. It would be half way inbetween upright and completely bent over in the drops. This should help and will make a world of difference on your back too. If all else fails, just change your bars for swept back treking bars.
Old 02-12-13, 07:45 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I would be a little careful making fit decisions based on how the bike feels on a trainer. Every bike I have ridden on a trainer felt like it needed to have a shorter and higher stem compared to my on-road position.

Do you have another good fitting road bike to compare the top tube dimension? No need to guess about the dimensions if you have measurements to compare. If it turns out that the measurements and your feelings add up to a need for a shorter reach to the bars and you are already using a short reach stem, you still have options.
Raising the stem will shorten the effective reach a little. Shorter reach and/or narrower handlebars will definitely help.
Old 02-12-13, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I would be a little careful making fit decisions based on how the bike feels on a trainer. Every bike I have ridden on a trainer felt like it needed to have a shorter and higher stem compared to my on-road position.

Do you have another good fitting road bike to compare the top tube dimension? No need to guess about the dimensions if you have measurements to compare. If it turns out that the measurements and your feelings add up to a need for a shorter reach to the bars and you are already using a short reach stem, you still have options.
Raising the stem will shorten the effective reach a little. Shorter reach and/or narrower handlebars will definitely help.
+1 I think BD has a good point. There are hundreds of micro adjustments we make subconsciously when we ride. These can and do have an impact on how our body feels. He’s also right that raising the stem will shorten the reach just a little (due to the angle of the head tube). I think a few miles/rides on the road are in order before making changes. Most likely the least expensive way to experiment with a shorter reach is by see if you LBS will lend you a shorter reach stem, perhaps with a slightly higher rise.
Old 02-12-13, 08:21 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Thanks! My current stem is a Nitto quill with a lot of lift left, so I can experiment with that (hmmm, brake cable was always too short, need longer now!).

All my other fits are based on that one becaused i synchronized them back then, and really none are great fits now. Maybe I should take the Mondonico (Terraferma is hard to transport right now) to a fitter and have it set up, then look at transferring fits.

I set this bike up based on a comparator bike that was comfy for two metrics on successive days, my longest rides yet. However, it was 2.5 years ago and I'm not in the shape I was in then. I feel stronger, but I might be heavier.

Ok, need to get in some road time, at least - that's a great idea, BD.
Old 02-17-13, 09:13 AM

Are there any new drop bars in 26.0 or 25.4 mm clamp that have a reach around 80 mm? I've seen a number of very attractive Compact-style bars with short reach and shallow drop, but none in the older clamp size. The bike is set up for quill stems, and putting on a quill adaptor is not one of my first choices. 38 mm width at the center of the hooks.

Silver is better, but ... what's out there? I've been striking out.
Old 02-17-13, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
1. If you use a trainer while fitting a bike, the bike has to be leveled. If it isn't you are adjusting for that imbalance.
2. Drop bars should be comfortably usable in all positions. Don't get caught up in the BF hype that things need to be slammed and flipped. If you ride on the hoods and find yourself reaching, you need a shorter stem. If you can't reach the drops per the aerobelly, raise them. I have seen a lot of people suffer on bicycles for the cooler look of an aggressive position.
Old 02-17-13, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
You might also think about changing one thing at a time, and then try it for awhile. This way you will know what change really made the difference.
Old 02-17-13, 11:26 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Are there any new drop bars in 26.0 or 25.4 mm clamp that have a reach around 80 mm? I've seen a number of very attractive Compact-style bars with short reach and shallow drop, but none in the older clamp size. The bike is set up for quill stems, and putting on a quill adaptor is not one of my first choices. 38 mm width at the center of the hooks.

Silver is better, but ... what's out there? I've been striking out.
Civia Emerson Handlebar 40cm Shallow Drop 26.0 Clamp Silver

Available through QBP, so give your LBS a shot at getting it for you before ordering online.