Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Target Weight

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Target Weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 02:50 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I did the hardest spinning session at the gym last night and when I got home it was still hurting. Thighs got worse and I had to massage them with Voltarol so I know I had done more than usual. I sweated buckets But during the session I drank a full bottle of water. Got home and after the shower I weighed myself and I had lost 1/2 lb. That will be back on by tomorrow morning.

Beginning of the year and I weighed in at 155lbs. Now down to 145 but it is very slow in going down any further. Cut out all sugars- fatty foods and the bad stuff and just eating healthy stuff. I could kill for a Chinese or Indian meal right now but I am being good.

Next morning and I am up to 146 again and the legs still ache. It appears that there is a point that "Extra" effort is needed to lose just that bit more and to that end have booked for spinning Thursday and Friday. Today will have to be a rest day as I don't think my legs will take any more strain right now. Saturday will be rest day to check out the bikes for my first ride in over a month on Sunday--We have lost the cold and the rain temporarily.

I know I am at the lower end of the overweight scale and there is not much more to lose but %age wise I am at a low figure. To get those"Few" extra lbs off is going to take a lot more effort on my part and hardly seems worth it but the big gain in fitness I currently have is going to pay dividends when the rides start.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-06-13, 09:06 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just posted a little chart on my bathroom mirror, showing a range of weights and my equivalent BMI for each. It ranges from 180/27.4 (a weight I occasionally bounce up to), through 178/27.1 (my current weight) down to 164/24.9 which is what I need to be at to get my BMI 0.1 under the "overweight" classification. I've been sitting at this weight (fluctuating between 177 and 180) since December, and am trying to get down to 170. Given how hard it has been to get any more off me despite the eating and the exercise, I'm not sure I can hit the 164, but we'll see what happens when I start getting some miles in on the bike when it warms up.
Old 03-06-13, 12:00 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
I just posted a little chart on my bathroom mirror, showing a range of weights and my equivalent BMI for each. It ranges from 180/27.4 (a weight I occasionally bounce up to), through 178/27.1 (my current weight) down to 164/24.9 which is what I need to be at to get my BMI 0.1 under the "overweight" classification. I've been sitting at this weight (fluctuating between 177 and 180) since December, and am trying to get down to 170. Given how hard it has been to get any more off me despite the eating and the exercise, I'm not sure I can hit the 164, but we'll see what happens when I start getting some miles in on the bike when it warms up.

I have the same issues and plateaus---and our weights and ambitions are similar. I was at 182 at Thanksgiving and got that down to 178 by middle January. Then I went to 176. Now I'm at 173 but would love to get to 165. I've only been at 166/165 once since college but it was only 3-4 years ago when I was at my fittest. Fortunately I've experienced being able to drop the most weight over the years when Daylight Saving's Time come on I can ride more, burn more calories so I start seeing a bigger dent. However the biggest gains for me are from changing eating habits. Have you started writing down your caloric intake? For me to get where I need to be I've got to cut intake and reduce/minimize the foods that seem to keep weight hanging on. There are some great calorie references online where you can get information on the amount of calories in different foods. Good luck to us both.
Old 03-06-13, 12:37 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find the discussions of weight loss interesting, and of course I can't help but evaluate them within the context of my own experience. What strikes me most isn't what people do, but what they don't do. For instance, it has been shown, over and over again, that the keys to success in sustainable weight loss include:

A. Increased exercise (duration and/or intensity)
B. Changes in dietary habits,
and importantly
C. Tracking your caloric intake and expenditures.

My point is that, if you aren't doing all three, then are you serious about achieving sustainable weight loss? Tracking is far easier than it used to be, and there are free tools available. Trainingpeaks.com is a great alternative that will let you know if you are achieving the needed caloric deficit.

Similarly, a bit of reading makes it clear which types of riding are going to help you the most in burning off the fat. Ditto for diets.

So, if you haven't taken the approaches which have a scientific basis, and which have been proven successful for so many, the question is: Why?

For me, it came down to just making a decision. There was no "I'm going to try and lose the excess weight." There was only "I've decided to achieve my ideal weight." I started tracking everything that went into my gut, and how many calories I burned. I made sure I burned more than I took in, essentially by eating to match what I burned without exercise, so every workout reduced my fat. I shifted to more protein and fat than carbs, and did lots and lots of steady base miles (>200mi/week). It's a formula that works, because it has a solid foundation in science. In other words, for any of you on the fence:

"Just do it."
Old 03-06-13, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Have you started writing down your caloric intake?
Absolutely. Ten years ago I was 250, one year ago I was 215 and the only way that I was able to drop 35lbs in 7 months was to track everything I eat. Makes for better nutritional choices, and like one of my fitness instructors says, "abs are made in the kitchen". Exercise alone will not make you lose much weight, but helps keep the metabolism up while you eat better, and thus helps you to lose more in less time than just watching your food intake.

So, it seems I'm hitting all three bullet points that AzTallRider listed, and with which I wholeheartedly agree. You can in theory get by with just "A" and "B", but if you don't do "C" you've really no basis for making the decisions that allow you to make the changes in what you eat. It allows me to keep myself to only a half-glass of skim milk at breakfast if I'm planning to have a beer at dinner!

I too don't "eat my exercise" - adding 200 calories to my daily calorie budget because I burn 200 calories exercising. I don't really have the time to get to AzTallRider's level of 200+ miles per week, but I am planning to be more consistent than I was last year and have a schedule in mind that should get me up around 70 miles per week.
Old 03-06-13, 02:34 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't really have the time to get to AzTallRider's level of 200+ miles per week, but I am planning to be more consistent than I was last year and have a schedule in mind that should get me up around 70 miles per week.
And FWIW, I have different training approach now, with fewer hours/miles at higher intensity. I average about 8 hours now, and only go up to maybe 12. It's enough to keep the weight stable, and I'm faster in the races.
Old 03-07-13, 10:42 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Absolutely. Ten years ago I was 250, one year ago I was 215 and the only way that I was able to drop 35lbs in 7 months was to track everything I eat. Makes for better nutritional choices, and like one of my fitness instructors says, "abs are made in the kitchen". Exercise alone will not make you lose much weight, but helps keep the metabolism up while you eat better, and thus helps you to lose more in less time than just watching your food intake.

So, it seems I'm hitting all three bullet points that AzTallRider listed, and with which I wholeheartedly agree. You can in theory get by with just "A" and "B", but if you don't do "C" you've really no basis for making the decisions that allow you to make the changes in what you eat. It allows me to keep myself to only a half-glass of skim milk at breakfast if I'm planning to have a beer at dinner!

I too don't "eat my exercise" - adding 200 calories to my daily calorie budget because I burn 200 calories exercising. I don't really have the time to get to AzTallRider's level of 200+ miles per week, but I am planning to be more consistent than I was last year and have a schedule in mind that should get me up around 70 miles per week.
Having a plan really makes a difference. Go for it!
Old 03-08-13, 10:11 AM
Bill

Bikes: Madone 6.5, FX 7.9 & Brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 50 I have never felt better. I weigh 150 sometimes a bit less and the scale says BMI 21.0 which may or may not be accurate.

I mostly ride the trainer. Yes, one of those home bound guys. Busy schedule at work and all. Not sure I want to race but the thought of something like a Century is appealing. Been training hard with books, DVD's and other materials.

Started out last year at 240 pounds and down to 150 now and still losing. So much weight loss ordered a new bike and had to have a whole new fit - not surprised.
Old 03-08-13, 10:24 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to go, Bill!
Old 03-08-13, 12:53 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I find the discussions of weight loss interesting, and of course I can't help but evaluate them within the context of my own experience. What strikes me most isn't what people do, but what they don't do. For instance, it has been shown, over and over again, that the keys to success in sustainable weight loss include:

A. Increased exercise (duration and/or intensity)
B. Changes in dietary habits,
and importantly
C. Tracking your caloric intake and expenditures.

My point is that, if you aren't doing all three, then are you serious about achieving sustainable weight loss? Tracking is far easier than it used to be, and there are free tools available. Trainingpeaks.com is a great alternative that will let you know if you are achieving the needed caloric deficit.

Similarly, a bit of reading makes it clear which types of riding are going to help you the most in burning off the fat. Ditto for diets.

So, if you haven't taken the approaches which have a scientific basis, and which have been proven successful for so many, the question is: Why?

For me, it came down to just making a decision. There was no "I'm going to try and lose the excess weight." There was only "I've decided to achieve my ideal weight." I started tracking everything that went into my gut, and how many calories I burned. I made sure I burned more than I took in, essentially by eating to match what I burned without exercise, so every workout reduced my fat. I shifted to more protein and fat than carbs, and did lots and lots of steady base miles (>200mi/week). It's a formula that works, because it has a solid foundation in science. In other words, for any of you on the fence:

"Just do it."
I absolutely agree! The issue/problem most people have when it comes to losing significant weight is that they look at it as a "project." As a result, once they project is completed, they go back to their old routine, rather than make permanent changes in their eating and exercise habits in order to maintain a healthy and doable weight.

This is my experience, some personal, and take on this.
Best regards
Old 03-08-13, 01:39 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
the only think this company promotes is sitting on your ass, eating deserts round the clock and drinking alcohol
Old 03-08-13, 02:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flan48
I absolutely agree! The issue/problem most people have when it comes to losing significant weight is that they look at it as a "project." As a result, once they project is completed, they go back to their old routine, rather than make permanent changes in their eating and exercise habits in order to maintain a healthy and doable weight.
Amen.

Which is why the LoseIt! app will see as much use when I hit my target weight as it does now. Just because my daily calorie budget goes up from 1750 per day to 2000 calories doesn't mean I can stop keeping track of everything I eat. If I don't, as sure as God made little green apples, I'm going to start creeping up. I like to eat too much!
Old 03-08-13, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, if you want to see something interesting, go to this tool, enter your current (or target) weight, height, age and activity level and see what your daily calorie budget is.

https://www.calorieking.com/interacti...es-calculator/

Then (if you want to see what you have to look forward to) look at what the budget for you was 10 years ago, and what it'll be in another 10 years or another 20 years.

It will quickly become obvious why people tend to put on weight as they age. Even if their activity level stays constant, the calorie intake needed to maintain weight falls. And, as we know, many people become LESS active as they get older, so we start packing on the pounds.

At 40 it would have taken me 2200 calories per day to maintain 164 (a BMI of just under 25)
At my current age (63) it'll take 2000 calories
At 70 it'll be 1900
At 80 it'll be 1850

Enjoy it while it lasts, folks - Ya can't win for losin'
Old 03-08-13, 02:39 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That calculator is off or rather it needs some more choices. If I were to only take in 2000 calories/day with my current level of biking, I'd loose about 2 lbs/week or more. When I ride, I estimate a burn of 1000 to 1500 calories just from riding, 33 to 55 miles. When it's better weather, I ride 5 to 6 days/week, usually 6. Now I ride between 4 or 5, usually 5 days/week. I actually have to ensure I eat enough and weigh myself first thing when I get up twice a week, Tuesday and Friday, so I can be sure I'm not gaining much, or more importantly, not loosing much( presently, 5'7" @ 138~142lbs).
Old 03-08-13, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
That calculator is off or rather it needs some more choices.
Probably the latter - "activity level" is really vague and subject to interpretation. I put in "moderate" as I'm currently only working out three days a week in group classes (where I work harder than if I was doing it on my own). My plan once things warm up enough to get the ice off the trails is to regularly do 2x20 milers during the week after work, and at least a 30-miler or more on the weekend. How much calorie burning is that? I have no idea. Everything I've ever used to try to estimate the calories burned from physical activity has seemed to be WAY off - seriously overstating the number of calories, so I have no idea how much I'm burning.

Your level of activity, even now, is probably off that scale!
Old 03-08-13, 04:57 PM
Bill

Bikes: Madone 6.5, FX 7.9 & Brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, I have had a major life change.

Switched to Paleo (Healthy Eating) Plan. Exercise was nonexistent an now I ride 90 minutes a day on the trainer. Some times a day off to let legs recover. The Garmin indicates about 1000 calories in one workout. Guestimate.

But I did not lose weight without major changes. Consistency and you see results over months.

I have always loved bikes but not to this degree. Proper clothes, chamois cream, shoes, makes it work so much better.

50 years old
5'11" (Some days 6ft) with ego.
150 pounds

I avoid fast food. And our world is just obese. What is normal is fat to me. And the world thinks I am anorexic. I am no poster child but if you train seriously you can look good.

Tracking food is easy but I eat like a bird.

Breakfast
Greek Yogurt (Not really Paleo)

Lunch
Apple
Orange (or other fruit)
Some Almonds

Dinner
Pot Roast
or Meatloaf
Stewed Tomates
Usually a meat and one veggie.
Sometimes half a cookie (Splurge)

Weekends I might make lunch my big meal. I don't recommend my eating habits as I know it is not enough!

Life change summary
Mom died and Dad lives with me. I have to shower and dress my Dad every morning. I work 11 hour days. I used to Artistic Roller Skate. Now I train as if I am going to race but I have not been outside in clipless pedals. Spinervals, Sufferfest, Books, you name it. Bibbs and shaved legs incase I fall off the trainer. I know pathetic! Yes, pathetic. Maybe I should think about a Century Ride? After trying a local club ride to learn riding in a pack. (Pace-line)

Just finished "The Big Book of Bicycling" have about 30 books on the subject read. Used of Amazon. Book knowledge average, experience zero! Training or Road Bikes or magazines I am sure I have read it.

Not what you expected? Well, at least I am being honest. Slam me if you like. I just need to figure out when the weather is better what to do next.

Last edited by kg4fxg; 03-08-13 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-13-13, 11:13 AM
Let's do a Century

Woo hoo!!! With all the moaning I've made about weight reduction this is very motivating.

While I suspect some of this might be water weight reduction it continues to be very encouraging to see the numbers going in the right direction. I was at 182 lbs on Thanksgiving. 176 lbs about a month ago. Dropped to 172 lbs last week. 170 lbs this morning. I've really been concentrating hard on quantity and intake of food and it's paying dividends. Don't know if I can get to 165/166 but liking these readings. With DST now in play I can burn even more calories during the week so very hopeful more will come off faster. Will really celebrate when I see anything in the 160's. Might even have chocolate Oreo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Scales March 2013.jpg (158.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-13-13, 12:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
See if I can remember this. It was in a Readers Digest at the doctors this afternoon so cannot be taken as gospel but it made sense to me at the time.

You have decided to lose weight and your calorie intake per day from food is 2,500. You cut down to 1,000 per day so you are losing 10,500 calories a week One pound of body fat is 3,500 calories so by cutting calorie intake you will lose 3lbs a week. You carry on losing the 3lbs a week but it tails off because of the loss of body fat (And weight). There is not the fat to lose in the same quantity so weight loss is not as high. There comes a point where the 1,000 calories is sufficient for your body weight and your energy required so Weight loss stops. You no longer "Lose" body fat by diet alone and you have to start exercising to lose more weight.

So it is a never ending circle. I know the 1,000 cals is not enough to keep you going on energy-or not enough for most of us- if you are also doing exercise so you now have to find how to find the correct amount of calories to maintain energy whilst exercising but still lose the weigh that you want to shift. And that is where I am saying stuff the extra 5 lbs I want to lose-I want to eat.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-16-13, 05:05 PM
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Harvard Medical School Guides to Men's Health suggests 2.2 pounds per inch of height. I am 5 ft 8 inches short. This means I should weigh 149.5 pounds or less. I am a wee bit below this. I feel fine and don't sense a loss of strength. I climb hills better and have more endurance at this admittedly low weight.
Old 03-16-13, 05:22 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little late to the weight drop routine this year but at 185, I've got to lose a few. 10# is not a big deal on the flats but it makes a marked difference when going uphill. At 170 I felt a little weak, very good at 175, but overweight at >180. So I need to drop 10 as soon as possible.
Old 03-16-13, 05:56 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my target weight is around 220 cause that's where I'm heading. Only 25-30# more to put on.