Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you ride a straight line?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you ride a straight line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Of course there's no way to ride perfectly straight, but a cyclist's skill level is demonstrated by how small the wobble is. That's me on the 'outside.' Obviously, ya can't pass without moving side-to-side some, but not much wobble:

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-08-13 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I wouldn't get yourself all worked up over it, but I do believe that maintaining a solid center of gravity will make you more efficient on the bike. It also helps ensure that every movement of your body serves a purpose in propelling your bike forward. I try to eliminate as much useless motion as possible when I'm riding. The only time I intentionally sway back and forth is when I'm climbing a huge hill and I have lots of room. I find that climbing in zig-zags makes the hill easier to conquer.

Anyway, as I said, don't let worrying about this take away from your enjoyment of riding. But you know that already...
Old 03-08-13, 07:53 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I ride very close to a straight line if I try. When riding solo on dry roads, one of my little games is to ride on the white "Fog Line" between the right lane and the shoulder of the road.

Otherwise I'm afraid I do wander a bit from side to side.
I'm a fellow fogliner. I figure anything to the left is danger zone out on the open highway so I'm riding that small shoulder of pavement. So I'd say that make's one a straight-liner.
Old 03-08-13, 08:52 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T600, 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed that some roads around here have fog lines applied (painted?) with a material that raises the line above the surrounding pavement. I've almost lost control a couple of times while trying to play the game of ride in a straight line by riding on the fog line.
Old 03-08-13, 09:00 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
Everyone does. It's part of how we keep our balance on the bike. Even pros. The difference between them and us is how far they meander from the perfect line.

If you were to make a bike that didn't steer and would maintain a perfectly straight line by itself, you wouldn't be able to keep your balance on it. Nor would a pro, although they may go a longer distance.
They also make that line go by under them quite a bit faster I think! (sorry could not help myself... carry on)
Old 03-08-13, 09:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't ride as straight a line as I would like. It usually doesn't make any difference except when I am riding in a tight pace line. I find that in the presence of other riders I have to concentrate a bit to keep the proper distance to everybody.
Old 03-08-13, 09:14 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I ride a very straight line on my recumbent, even from a stop. I have read that in some rides or races they make recumbents start first or last because they wobble on start up. That seems rather dumb to me and somewhat annoying.
On my bent on a group ride I'm lethal at a stop light and I warn anyone who can't figure it out on their own.

Old 03-08-13, 09:24 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride very bad roads in my city. Spoke busting and spine crushing in some spots.
Im off the seat and zigzagging around the holes and patched areas a lot of the time.
Only in Florida have I had the luxury of riding straight for miles at a time.
Old 03-08-13, 10:32 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
I ride very bad roads in my city. Spoke busting and spine crushing in some spots.
Im off the seat and zigzagging around the holes and patched areas a lot of the time.
Only in Florida have I had the luxury of riding straight for miles at a time.
That's another reason I ride on the fog line - easier to see cracks, holes, chunks of road missing. Just try riding up here where potholes are as common as the state flower!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 03-09-13 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-09-13, 04:33 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
"Fog line?" I'm assuming that's the painted line that separates the road from the breakdown lane? Never heard that term before. As a motorcyclist I try to avoid all painted lines but not so bad on a bike.
Old 03-09-13, 06:22 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
<One thing I can't stand is riding behind someone who wags from side-to-side a foot or more.>

+1

We do most of our riding in a group/paceline-style and there is one guy who, no matter how many times you curse him, drifts off to the left by several feet then drifts back into the line. It's best to keep clear of him if you can. The rest of the bunch ride pretty straight, fortunately.
Other than drifting, another disconcerting habit in a pace line is for the guy in front of you to coast every few pedal strokes.
Old 03-09-13, 07:29 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Couple quick comments, my own take...

Fog lines
I never ride on any painted surface longer than necessary. Morning fog is typical here and wet painted surfaces can be considerably more slippery than non-painted. Riding on the fog line also means that ½ my bike and body are in the traffic lane, I don’t like that. I try to ride either out of the traffic lane to the right, or I ride completely in the traffic lane if safety dictates that.

Pace lines
As for where to look to hold a line; solo or at the front of the pace line I look far down the road as most do. When in a good pace line, not at the font, with good riders, I ride much like my racing days. There are times I’m looking at the back of that wheel in front of me and staying a few inches off it. The rest of my world is often seen with peripheral vision. This does not mean I’m not also glancing down the road to see what is coming up, it just means that I do spend a fair amount of time keeping that front wheel of mine exactly where it belongs making it very easy for the rider behind me to do the same.

I don’t ride like this during many of our club rides when we pace line because the skill level of the other club members is just not high enough in order to allow me to put that much trust in what they are doing. And to be fair to them, they are often times not comfortable having another bike close to them.

Riding a straight line
Years ago, and I still do it solo, I ride with no hands when it feels safe to do so. It really helped my body develop and learn the muscle memory regarding what a straight line is.
Old 03-09-13, 08:08 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
^^^, +1, Con, you have it nailed. With the new thermoplastic line paint used on road striping the frictional coefficient has gone way down and with the minute contact patches on bicycle tires it is an invitation to a front end wash out. The pace line stuff is spot on for club rides. I am sure the members like Cleave, AzTallRider, Sarals, ey al can do more, better and faster. For me your gouge is spot on.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-09-13, 08:25 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by jalbri
I've noticed that some roads around here have fog lines applied (painted?) with a material that raises the line above the surrounding pavement. I've almost lost control a couple of times while trying to play the game of ride in a straight line by riding on the fog line.
Avoid all painted surfaces and especially tar strips (for sealing in high frost areas). Both can get squiggly.

For thos wondering, the fogline divides the traffic lane from the 2-3ft of shoulder and sometimes ony 12-18". The line is not for riding on but is for me a boundary for staying out of highway traffic. I dont ride in the traffic lane out on the rural and open roads.

ETA: Here in our state motorists are to use the fogline for safety reference in low visibility and subject to getting the attention of law enforcement for crossing over or driving on it during good and normal conditions. That's why I choose to ride nearest the edge of the pavement, for safety reasons. But then there's drunks and texters and other idiots.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 03-09-13 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-09-13, 08:53 AM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a paceline it's easier to watch the guy in front of you's lower back than try to stay two inches off his rear tire by fixating on his wheel. At least that way your head is up and 'should be situationally aware. The guys to follow in big group rides are the tandems, if there are any; they hate drafting off most singles and are about as steady as it gets, speed-wise. Generally less squirrelly, too.
Old 03-09-13, 10:29 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by t4mv
In a paceline it's easier to watch the guy in front of you's lower back than try to stay two inches off his rear tire by fixating on his wheel. At least that way your head is up and 'should be situationally aware. The guys to follow in big group rides are the tandems, if there are any; they hate drafting off most singles and are about as steady as it gets, speed-wise. Generally less squirrelly, too.
Originally Posted by t4mv
OP, if it's a straight line you want to ride, get yourself a set of rollers. Kills two birds with one stone, you ride straight and smooth out your form pronto.
Originally Posted by chasm54
Look further ahead. Impossible to ride straight if you are focussed on something immediately in front of you. And look at where you want to go, not at anything you want to avoid. You'll go where you're looking.
These comments cover the matter. At the track, riding the black line in pursuit (shortest distance around the track) is critical to reduce time. Focus on 30 meters or more ahead is important to hold the line as well as total relaxation of the body.

I judge riders on the open rode based upon their ability to ride straight. Another skill is the ability to turn ones head and still ride straight. If I see someone who cannot ride straight, I stay clear of them and if they try to draft me, tell them to get off my wheel. Sorry. It is tell on the skill ability and experience of the cyclist.
Old 03-09-13, 10:39 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Most of the time!

The trick is to keep the upper body relaxed.
+1

I ride a straight line unless I try hard to keep it straight.
Old 03-09-13, 11:00 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look further ahead. Impossible to ride straight if you are focussed on something immediately in front of you. And look at where you want to go, not at anything you want to avoid. You'll go where you're looking.
Maybe it's just me but I find this much easier to do on my Recumbents than on my Uprights, in fact I can't even see my front tire on my Short Wheelbase Volae. Due to the relaxed body position of the recumbents I'm naturaly looking out ahead of my bike vs. the temptation to watch my wheel when riding my road bikes.
Old 03-09-13, 02:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by con
Riding a straight line
Years ago, and I still do it solo, I ride with no hands when it feels safe to do so. It really helped my body develop and learn the muscle memory regarding what a straight line is.
I'm having difficulty riding with no hands. Not sure why. Trying to keep the weight back on the seat, stay centered, more upright, little or no wind, higher gearing, lower cadence and can only manage no hands briefly. The bike feels squirrelly.

Riding with no hands is a skill I'd like to master, too. Wondering if it's just me or a combination of the bike, also.

I've been practicing turning my head and looking sideways while still maintaining a straight line. This does take some practice and surprisingly, it's not as easy as it seems.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and insight.
Old 03-09-13, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bicycling-on-expert-6765.jpg (38.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-11-13, 10:08 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Absolutely right. And when you're riding someone's wheel, focus on the road ahead but keep the wheel in your periphery.

Works when you're driving a car and skiing, too.
Old 03-12-13, 04:59 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I ride in a straight line,
but most people around me do not.
Because they are passing me...
Old 03-12-13, 07:27 AM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm all over the place, cars give me a wider pass. I can ride a little straighter on the wind trainer though.
Old 03-12-13, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
One thing I would like to add is about descending a twisty road. Please pick a line and stay in it. It is hard to pass someone who goes to the center line and back to the right edge all the way down. You don't need to block the entire lane.
Also, when riding in a group, don't block the entire lane by riding two wide and all over the lane. Be predicable.
Old 03-12-13, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Riding in a straight line is something I've become very good at and it is something I do on a fairly regular basis, since many of the roads I ride are shoulderless and heavy traffic. Sometimes I see the fogline as a balancing beam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.