Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I hate when the saddle no longer works...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

The brand doesn't matter. I regularly take my saddles off the bike and give them a pretty good cleaning. Had one off the bike this weekend and Son asked if he could try it out for a day or two on his new build. If he likes it, he'll buy one of his own. So, I pulled another saddle out of the parts bin, one that has worked remarkably well for me in the past. Put it on the bike and went out for a ride. No matter what I did in terms of adjustments, I could not get this saddle to feel right. It was just flat out uncomfortable. My riding position has not changed since I last used it two years ago. Could my body actually have changed that much, or is it something else? Now I'm thinking this probably isn't going to be a good backup saddle, which is why I kept it in the first place. (The reason I replaced it was that I got a real good buy on the saddle I use on most of my bikes, and... well, that's another story for another time.) Have any of you had similar experiences with an "old friend" of a saddle not longer being so?
Old 04-01-13, 06:19 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Not me, but I think I know why. I commute on several different bikes (the only way to deal with my mechanical ineptitude), and even ride weekends on different bikes (again, mechanical ineptitude).

They all fit a little differently, and all have different saddles. And each of them feels a little odd when I first start riding it, and each feels fine after 10 miles or so. So I never get all that dialed in to one bike or one saddle.

I wonder sometimes if there really is such a thing as a "perfect fit" or if there is some benefit to riding a number of bikes, each pretty close to the ideal. <shrug>

Old 04-01-13, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering why you have to clean the saddle but feel free not to reply.
Old 04-01-13, 10:24 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
I was wondering why you have to clean the saddle but feel free not to reply.
I do the same thing with handlebar tape. They last longer and provide gratification for what may be borderline OCD tendencies. Actually it has become a routine of sorts. It allows me to get rid of all the rooster tail crime from riding on wet roads. I also pull the seat post and re-lube it, and I put a thin coating of lube on the seat rails (does wonders for keeping that dreaded "Where is the squeak coming from?" experience).
Old 04-01-13, 12:48 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I regularly take my saddles off the bike and give them a pretty good cleaning.
that makes one that does that.. you do a lot of muddy MTB riding, IDK.

the pulling the seatpost and anti-seizing the Al post in a steel frame, with a little grease, is part of maintenance..

my Brooks has come off because I have an easy care saddle to use instead, in the Rain, and street parking..

my tape color choice , black..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-01-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 01:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I thought you meant a saddle you are currently using-that suddenly stops working. Had this a couple of times and in the main it has been adjustment that has changed. Slipping in the seat post or on the rails that although you check- the problem is not spotted until you look for the marks on the saddle or post.

12 years ago I ran into a saddle problem after Prostate surgery and had to take my Flite TI saddle off the bike. Tried many different shapes- sizes- and makes of saddle to cure the problem and it was not until I went road with a different ride position that cure was found. Then it was down to saddle size and finished up with a similar saddle to thel Flite TI but an updated version. Recently dug out the original Flite and decided to try it.No idea why as the other saddles fit fine but after setting it up as perfectly as I can- it still hurts.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-01-13, 01:22 PM

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bet is it's putting pressure on slightly different points and if given time would be fine again after your butt adjusted to it. Like the first few rides after a layoff.
Old 04-01-13, 02:32 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
NOS,
Your body had possibly changes some and the seat may not be in the exact same position that you are now used to riding in. Not much of a change but enough to make you feel the difference perhaps? I pull my saddles to clean them, too, but not to swap back to an old saddle as of yet, pulling it off the post allows me to get the underside and the saddle rails/cradle cleaner. I don't run fenders.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-01-13, 05:52 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Guyz, Ladies also,,take advantage of New Tech,
https://www.ismseat.com/
Old 04-01-13, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
The brand doesn't matter. I regularly take my saddles off the bike and give them a pretty good cleaning. Had one off the bike this weekend and Son asked if he could try it out for a day or two on his new build. If he likes it, he'll buy one of his own. So, I pulled another saddle out of the parts bin, one that has worked remarkably well for me in the past. Put it on the bike and went out for a ride. No matter what I did in terms of adjustments, I could not get this saddle to feel right. It was just flat out uncomfortable. My riding position has not changed since I last used it two years ago. Could my body actually have changed that much, or is it something else? Now I'm thinking this probably isn't going to be a good backup saddle, which is why I kept it in the first place. (The reason I replaced it was that I got a real good buy on the saddle I use on most of my bikes, and... well, that's another story for another time.) Have any of you had similar experiences with an "old friend" of a saddle not longer being so?
I don't know about you but I can tell you that age related muscle mass loss can cause problems like that. Not much "padding" left on my sit bones. Last summer I tried the fish oil tablets high in the two fat fractions that are supposed to not only prevent muscle mass loss but also allow you to build more muscle tissue with the proper exercise. Then when my wife developed a back problem we had to give up on the bikes for 3 months until she was able to ride again. But so far I have not been able to rebuild muscle mass over my now almost bare sit bones.
Old 04-02-13, 03:57 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have had a similar experience. Recently I have had soreness in my right sitz bone but never my left. And, of course, at the beginning of the season no saddle is right.
Old 04-02-13, 08:14 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
My bet is it's putting pressure on slightly different points and if given time would be fine again after your butt adjusted to it. Like the first few rides after a layoff.
I second that. For the body points that weren't actually in contact with the previous saddle, it's just as if you hadn't ridden for a long time.
Old 04-02-13, 08:40 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
I think you may be right. I've pushed on with the saddle for three more rides/61miles and it does seem to be getting a bit more bearable.