Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road Shoes and Platform Pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm TKR (total knee replacement) "survivor" and back into biking. But with one of my knees not being what I was born with, I'm not going back to clipless pedals and have been riding a platform pedal with mountain bike shoes.

I do have a pair of road shoes I could use here, but have questions about taking off the spd cleats and trying them instead. But I'm a little concerned about the road shoes slipping off the platforms.

Does anyone have any words of advice?

- scarver
Old 04-11-13, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, but first, welcome.

Most road shoes have a smooth hard sole, not a good match with platform pedals. Toe clips, even without straps would help keep your foot in place a bit, but may not be worth the effort. Why not stick with the mt. bike shoes; is there a problem with them? It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.
Old 04-11-13, 04:26 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
MTB shoes and platform pedals are a very good combo since MTB shoes generally have a knobby-type sole for traction off the bike. I have MTB shoes with SPD cleats and Shimano pedals with an SPD clip on one side and plain platform on the other. In most cases, riding on the platform side makes almost no difference unless I actually try to pull up on the pedal; the shoes really grip the platform side as the teeth on the pedal engage the pattern on the shoe.
Old 04-11-13, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Me too.

I just bought some MTB sandals with grippy rubber soles. I've installed SPD cleats on them, but they would be fine with platforms if you don't mind looking dorky

Old 04-11-13, 05:19 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use BMX pedals exclusively. They have set-screw pins that really hold your feet on the pedal.
Easterns and Primo Tenderizers are the ones I like best. The Easterms can even take a strap and toe clip if you buy some longer hardware to secure them.
Old 04-11-13, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Hi scarver, I have been riding platforms and MTB shoes for years now. I needed the stiff sole of the bike shoe to avoid foot cramps. They work great and as others have noted, the treaded soles keep my foot from sliding off the pedal.
Old 04-11-13, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This coming late fall and winter, I'm contemplating moving to winter MTB shoes/cleats and pedals. I wonder how far into the traditional season I could wear them before getting regular season MTB shoes(even though I'm a roadie) so I can walk in the shoes and not slip/slide in road shoes.

Anyway, I think MTB shoes would be much better than road shoes on platforms.
Old 04-12-13, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the road bike shoes work for you and are comfortable take them to a shoe repair shop and have a Vibram or other light cleated sole put on over the slick hard biking sole. I have "redesigned" several pairs of shoes to fit my needs and they always worked out perfectly.
Old 04-12-13, 11:06 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scarver
I'm TKR (total knee replacement) "survivor" and back into biking. But with one of my knees not being what I was born with, I'm not going back to clipless pedals and have been riding a platform pedal with mountain bike shoes.

I do have a pair of road shoes I could use here, but have questions about taking off the spd cleats and trying them instead. But I'm a little concerned about the road shoes slipping off the platforms.

Does anyone have any words of advice?

- scarver
I also have dual TKR which is why my doctor advised me to ride with good flat soled street shoes and platform pedals so that there is little danger of twisting my new knees for any reason.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-12-13, 01:44 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
A pretty quick fix for the road shoes is to get some bathtub non-skid from a hardware store or Home Depot and apply it on the area where the shoes will meet the pedals. I would sand the soles of the shoes first and use some rubbing alcohol to clean them before applying the non-skid. The only problem with this is that eventually, the non-skid will get torn up from walking on it. If that doesn't sound like something that you would like to do, then just keep riding with your MTB shoes since they are working fine for you.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-12-13, 02:16 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
This thread is interesting to me, because I would like to reproduce the most satisfactory cycling shoes I ever had, which were the Avocet Touring -- steel shank and rubber sole with 4 cleat-like cuts across it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-13-13, 03:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
A pretty quick fix for the road shoes is to get some bathtub non-skid from a hardware store or Home Depot and apply it on the area where the shoes will meet the pedals. I would sand the soles of the shoes first and use some rubbing alcohol to clean them before applying the non-skid. The only problem with this is that eventually, the non-skid will get torn up from walking on it. If that doesn't sound like something that you would like to do, then just keep riding with your MTB shoes since they are working fine for you.
I was thinking of doing exactly that and giving it a shot.
Old 04-13-13, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
I also have dual TKR which is why my doctor advised me to ride with good flat soled street shoes and platform pedals so that there is little danger of twisting my new knees for any reason.
That is interesting. I have a TKR and used to ride with sneakers and pedals that had the small pins and my feet did not move. Reluctantly I switched to SPD cleats for the other advantages and found with the float in the pedal my foot and knee go where they want and have no problems. In the end you will want to do what you feel comfortable with. Originally I was afraid of even riding for fear of falling and damaging knee. I know go about my life as if it were the original except for running.
Old 04-13-13, 12:26 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Speedplay is the company that makes the widest float in pedals..
their FRog goes with SPuD recessed shoes.

I have 2 years using Ergon's contoured pedals, havent used what clipless pedals I bought, in a couple years..

more commuting than sport riding of late..
Old 04-13-13, 05:07 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Scarver,
GeorgeMacB has this thread about the pedals and shoes that might work for you:https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-New-Pedals!!!

Great advice so far, the members here are the best source of help I know of, hope you can solve the problem with your knees.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13