Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sky and Froome are having an effect on my fitness.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 06:19 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Still not getting much riding in due to too many jobs to do.

My RV has a lot of jobs needed doing- Son-in-Law needs help in laying the patio stones in his sunken garden- Gardening is taking a fair amount of time and there seems to be a lot of Bureaucracy in retirement with a lot of time is being taken up with paperwork. Actual riding seems to be limited to a couple of rides a week and for me a meagre 50 miles or so. Still keeping up spinning at the gym but even that is now limited to one evening session that is with a good instructor. The other problem is this heatwave we are experiencing that is energy sapping with the high humidity.

Last night and I had that spinning session and I did not feel like doing much. Air conditioning is not that good and the temp was up around 75f before we started. So start off gentle and the whole ride was in climb mode. I like hills but a whole hour of climbing

Won't go into details but these spinning bikes have 24 levels of pressure and my flat road spinning is normally at level 12 and cadence of 90. That is my base level and 1 hour of that (Which I have done) will give me a calorie count of about 400 and a power meter average reading of around 120. In a normal spinning session I usually achieve around 140 average on the power meter and 500ish on calories. Sometimes less and sometimes more.

Last night and although not feeling like working- I very quickly was upping the pressure level to 14 and still on 90 cadence. Carry on Changing pressure and cadence as per instructor and I began to notice a change. Current power reading is normally around 160 and at the exerting parts I can sustain 200 for short periods. last night I was riding with a registered 180 as the norm on the power meter and on the hard bits I was seeing around 250. On one bit I saw that magic 300 but not for long- that did hurt. Pressure level was higher than normal aswell and the highest level I can sustain on say a 5 minute climb seated is 18. Last night I checked and I was at 21. Got to the cool down time at the end and I checked the readings. Calorie count was 598 so nothing exceptional but that power reading was high. Average power reading of 178. Way above the normal reading I get for an hour session.

I have no idea why my level had increased so much and thought it was the bike registering low but there is a way you can check power output and it was correct. But the instructor then asked if any of us had noticed a change in the lesson that night. What he had done was to get us to raise cadence and lower pressure on all of the ride. There were no standing hills at high pressure except as butt breaks for short periods of time. In hind sight I had found that cadence was higher- and power output was way above what I normally get. Contrary to what he had said- I also found that I was pulling higher pressure than I normally would so perhaps I was feeling better than I normally would.

The instructor said that he had been following part of the Sky Cycling Teams's training programme where higher cadence- lower gear seems to work for most of the team. Well last night it worked for me and just have to work out how to have a cadence of 100 in the lowest gear on the bike when the 12% for a mile comes up on a ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-24-13, 06:30 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Shouldn't that be Chris Varoome?
Old 07-24-13, 08:55 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I see a new nickname for you Stap:

"The Pride of Great Britain"

Your country is depending on you to uphold its honor....
Old 07-24-13, 09:04 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
They're all doping.

j/k. Froome seems like a stand-up guy. If he says he's clean, that's good enough for me. Just don't visit the Chris Froome thread.

Anyway, out on the street I have parked a Volvo sedan 1993 with a dead battery. I need to get a new one and take it for a spin. It's a solid well built car with a heavy body and an engine which is underpowered for it. It's a good car for teenagers because no matter how hard they lush it, it will only go so fast.

In the cycling world I'm a Volvo 1993 sedan. Froome is more of an Indy class. That's just the way it is.

Old 07-24-13, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
I watched most of the tour on TV an enjoyed it. I was rooting for a stage win for Jens Voigt. If he can do it, an old fart like me can do better!
Old 07-24-13, 09:30 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Why is it that I can put on a few good performances in the Spinning class but it does not transpose to the rides? Last night and the heat did not seem to bother me whilst others were suffering. Even "Ross" was not up to his usual Big grin on face mode. I think he felt it in the heat and was only just in front of me on the power rating.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-24-13, 09:52 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I thought you were announcing a trip to Tenerife.

Three previous coaches advocated higher cadence for training. Many say cadence is a red herring and suggest self selection. Since I am a trackie, high cadence is required so I work on it. However, one must practice and train to spin faster. One can always select to spin slower.

Written whilst in Kensington, UK.
Old 07-24-13, 12:35 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pride cometh before the fall.
Old 07-24-13, 02:14 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
It's wild watching Froome spin up those climbs like he does. I've always been a high cadence cyclist since watching George Mount spin 'em on the flats. Spinning on climbs is another matter. I'm looking forward to putting on my compact Sugino 48/34 crankset this winter so I can try some of that.
Old 07-24-13, 03:14 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
"My name is Stapfam and I'm a spinaholic".

Unless it's part of a serious training programme for racing or rehab, there's no excuse for spin classes in the summer imo. Just remember the rubbish winter and spring weather that ruined riding and get outside while we have the weather.

I've never looked back and remembered a great gym session but there are loads of rides that stay in the memory.
Old 07-24-13, 03:22 PM
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Yeah...spinning is sweet until I did the 39-28 math at 90 rpm up 6%...ugh. My bicycle for a watt...well 390 of them. Time to go compact direct drive...1:1....and by my calcs...drop 56 pounds to get into Froome's weight class. At that point people will start giving me money and sympathy for my starving good looks.
Old 07-24-13, 04:03 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I watched the duel he had with that kid Quintana, (Ventouix?) and I was thinking that he must be juicing. Then I watched more, especially how his mates pulled him up those hills. From what I gather, they are hitting the "Green juice", i.e. a huge budget for training and analysis. Team work was a huge factor, what Lemond is calling "ethical performance enhancement" If stapfam is benefiting, I may just look into what they are doing.

Spinning is something I have always tried to do when riding, just because it is more comfortable than mashing. As a Clyde I am running a 34 tooth cassette to keep from mashing too badly on the hills. My goal is to get to a weight where I can still spin running an 11-28 on the hills we have around here.
Old 07-25-13, 03:05 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Stap - All you need now is to get elliptical chain rings to be really like Froomy!