Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 10:38 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
New wheels

Time for new wheels for my cross bike. I don't race anymore but I do ride off road on the bike. I want something that is not ridiculously expensive, sturdy, and repairable (by me). I wanted some advice on my choices:

(1) velocity sport wheel set, aerohead rims and velocity sport hubs ($299); or
(2) handspun sport series 3 with shimano 105 hubs and velocity a23 rims (price varies but runs $325 a pair from Amazon and less on a sale).

I'm planning on running 32c tires on this but both should be fine for this. If there are other pre-built wheels that I should consider, let me know. I have one pair of handspun wheels and they are well built. I imagine that the velocity built wheels are also well built.

Edit: if I could change the title of this thread, it would read something along the lines of the following: "Sturdy wheels that don't cost a bomb."

Last edited by bikemig; 09-30-13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 11:10 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Sun Rims CR-18's?
Old 09-30-13, 02:04 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have the Handspun Velocity A23 with Shimano 105 hubs with 32 spokes. I weight 220 lb and use these on my Cyclocross bike for gravel trails and pavement. I have about 1500 miles on them. They have been excellent. The arrived true and have stayed true. The roll fast and are strong. I did have the front wheel re-tensioned after 1200 miles since the spoke felt a little low on tension compared to other wheels, including the rear. I also had a set of Velocity A23 with Shimano 105 hubs from a local wheelbuilder on my Double Cross. The quaility of the Handspun brand wheelset and the locally built set was the same, IMO.

I also use the HED Ardennes wheels on my roadbike. These are a step-up in quality and price and would be a good match to a Cyclocross bike due to the 23mm rim width.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-30-13 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I ended up with a slight bend on the rim, from an unknown cause, of a Velocity A23 rim. Probably hit a pot hole on the road. I bought a new A23 rim which is the new dual tubeless or tube rim. I do not like the new rim on account that the rim tape has to be very carefully centered or it interferes with the tire bead seating and becomes a large annoyance. I ended up buying stretchy plastic rim tape that I was able to narrow with scissors for an accurate fit. Otherwise the rim is fine. If I need new rims, I'll go with with Hed Ardennes in the future.
Old 09-30-13, 06:48 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Quite satisfied with Velocity wheels on two bikes - one 406 and three 559 wheels, all with Aeroheat rims. They have stayed true - the hubs have required no service.
Old 09-30-13, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hubs~rims~spokes. Build your own, they don't have to be new. Build them up with good used parts, save some dough.
Old 09-30-13, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
You can get custom set of wheels built at Universal Cycles in Portland, OR for about the same price as production built wheels.
https://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php

I've had 3 sets built by them, and am extremely satisfied. My latest are for my cross bike: Velocity Dyad 36 spoke rims, 105 hubs, with Wheelsmith DB spokes for $306.
Old 09-30-13, 10:08 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
For reliability and best strength-to-moment of inertia ratio, you definitely want to stay with 32 or 36 spokes per wheel, in a cross-laced pattern.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-01-13, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Doug64
You can get custom set of wheels built at Universal Cycles in Portland, OR for about the same price as production built wheels.
https://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php

I've had 3 sets built by them, and am extremely satisfied. My latest are for my cross bike: Velocity Dyad 36 spoke rims, 105 hubs, with Wheelsmith DB spokes for $306.
Thanks for the tip. I like the idea of being able to select my own rims, spoke count (I'll probably go 36 in the rear and 32 up front), etc.
Old 10-01-13, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Belly
Hubs~rims~spokes. Build your own, they don't have to be new. Build them up with good used parts, save some dough.
I'm considering this as well. But the big companies get a bigger break than I can on the price of rims and hubs so it may be cheaper to get a pre-built wheel.
Old 10-01-13, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by berner
I ended up with a slight bend on the rim, from an unknown cause, of a Velocity A23 rim. Probably hit a pot hole on the road. I bought a new A23 rim which is the new dual tubeless or tube rim. I do not like the new rim on account that the rim tape has to be very carefully centered or it interferes with the tire bead seating and becomes a large annoyance. I ended up buying stretchy plastic rim tape that I was able to narrow with scissors for an accurate fit. Otherwise the rim is fine. If I need new rims, I'll go with with Hed Ardennes in the future.
Velocity on its website points out that you have to be very careful with the type of rim tape you use with a velocity A23; that's more than a little annoying, . I really like the A23s and everything I've read about them but this may be enough for me to cross them off my list. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-13, 11:21 AM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Velocity on its website points out that you have to be very careful with the type of rim tape you use with a velocity A23; that's more than a little annoying, . I really like the A23s and everything I've read about them but this may be enough for me to cross them off my list. Thanks for the info.
If you run our (or any 21mm) "tubeless" rim tape, there is no need to trim, and no bead interference. Running the tape, most tires practically put themselves on the A23.
Old 10-01-13, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by seely
If you run our (or any 21mm) "tubeless" rim tape, there is no need to trim, and no bead interference. Running the tape, most tires practically put themselves on the A23.
Cool; this is great advice. Thank you.

Edit: if you know of any tires that "practically put themselves on," let me know because I'm buying them!
Old 10-01-13, 02:43 PM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Cool; this is great advice. Thank you.

Edit: if you know of any tires that "practically put themselves on," let me know because I'm buying them!
Haha -- my experience has been with Panaracers, Continental and a few others here and there primarily, but of course, YMMV. I'm actually running 80 psi with one layer of tape, no problem, but we really recommend two for higher pressures. The key is to pull the tape tight as you're wrapping it. It then stretches and sinks down into the trough in the middle of the rim a bit, and keeps it out of the bead.
Old 10-01-13, 07:22 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Go with the A23s.

My first set of handbuilts were based on Aerohead-Aerohead O/C hoops. I liked them a lot. Nice balance between weight, cost, and strength. They wear 25mm Conti 4-Seasons.

My second set were built on Velocity's now-discontinued VXC (700C version) rims with Velocity's road disc hub in back, Shimano DH-S501 dynamo hub in front, DT Competitions laced 3-cross with brass nipples all the way around. Those are my bulletproof commuting wheels on the Portland, my four-seasons all-conditions commuter. Absolutely flawless in their intended role. The were also my first wide rims, which I found I really liked, with both the 28mm Conti 4-Seasons in the three-seasons, and the 38mm Nokian studded snow tires. So...

My third set was a Velocity-built A23 PRO build, 20/24 Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Velocity's road race hubs on both ends. Those are on my Litespeed, and shod with 25mm Conti 4000S. I'm nothing less than delighted with them. Three years now and I can find no fault with them. Even on the cobbles that form part of my commute.

I'm retiring that first set of Aerohead-Aerohead O/C wheels. Not because they're worn out--not nearly. But I really like the wider rims on the other bikes. So I've been looking for an excuse. Last month I upgraded the dynamo lights on the Portland, so I thought I'd put the old lights on the Ribble. Thus, I needed a new front wheel with a dynamo hub. Might as well get a pair, right?

Handspun built a front wheel to my spec--32-hole A23, Shimano DH-S501 dynamo hub (just in case I ever have to use it on the disc-brake-equipped Portland), DT Revolutions laced 3-cross, with brass nipples. Handspun doesn't build with Velocity hubs, so I had the LBS across the street build the rear. I pick it up tomorrow--32-hole A23, Velocity road hub for Shimano 8/9/10-speed, DT Revolutions on the NDS, DT Competitions on the DS, 3-cross both sides, and brass nipples.

Just switching the front from an Aerohead to an A23--moving the same tire and tube over--made a distinct difference in the ride and handling of the bike.