Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I have compact frames which means it is easier to get on or off the bike without crushing anything vital
Do you mean sloping top tube? I think the term "compact" frame was something a few companies used many years ago that the industry never adopted. Most people relate "compact" with gearing when they see that term
Old 10-17-13, 07:19 AM

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Latest update on the new bike: I was riding in my small neighborhood, just trying to get a little better accustomed, when two of our little "angels" decided that, while playing in the street, it would be fun to knock the Old Man off his bicycle. At the time, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and chalked it up as accidental. Now, I am not so sure it was an accident. I'll be watching those two very closely in the future.

On the plus side, the bike is not damaged and the Old Man only sustained minimal damage. Did you know that the piece of your glasses that goes across the bridge of your nose will cut like a razor? I found out that it will. My lovely bride freaked when she saw the blood dripping off my nose.
Old 10-17-13, 07:51 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by SFCRetired
Latest update on the new bike: I was riding in my small neighborhood, just trying to get a little better accustomed, when two of our little "angels" decided that, while playing in the street, it would be fun to knock the Old Man off his bicycle. At the time, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and chalked it up as accidental. Now, I am not so sure it was an accident. I'll be watching those two very closely in the future.
Middle school aged boys - right? If that's the case, they probably aren't going to scare so your choices are to fluff it off, beat them up, OR you can call the police. It's best not to do both.
Old 10-17-13, 10:09 AM

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Middle school aged boys - right? If that's the case, they probably aren't going to scare so your choices are to fluff it off, beat them up, OR you can call the police. It's best not to do both.
You win the prize. Yes, they were both middle school aged. As I said, I will be watching them very closely. Should a similar incident occur, I will be calling the police. I am much more concerned with dealing with mom and dad than I am with the boys.
Old 10-17-13, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Know you folks up North in damyankee land are going to laugh at me, but 53 degrees this morning, and not having the proper clothing, was just a tad too cool for this arthritic old man. Supposed to warm up this afternoon enough that I am going to put in some more saddle time.[/QUOTE]

Not laughing! Yes, that's a bit cool-I would still be wearing long pants until 58-60. It was 50 here on Sunday when me an my wife did 26 miles on the tandem. I remained comfortable the whole time except for my finger tips towards the end when the sun was going down. Ride on. Nice bike by the way!
Old 10-17-13, 11:18 AM

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
one more thing, I should add that especially when I mount the tandem, the bike comes almost all the way to the ground as I can't swing my leg up and around the stokers handlebars with the cow horns! Whatever works, man. Try not to be so self conscience. Yer how old, and still getting our there to ride? Took Dad out water skiing on his 65th birthday. He got up the first try-just like riding a bike. Mom had to try a few times, but we got her up! Have fun man. We only go around once!
Old 10-17-13, 11:28 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Nice Bike, and Salonpas is your friend. Walgreen's own house brand is cheap and effective.................

Gee, that's a tall bike!