Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rode my first Double Century in a couple years yesterday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 08:51 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Not like other doubles but it was an Organized event. 3 mile loop on City streets coned off just for cyclists. Started riding around 8 pm and rode through the night. Very humid even for the Carolina's. 1200 riders to start but thankfully numbers steadily dwindled after dark. No one was out on the streets riding after midnight. My legs felt tired from last week's 415 miles on Tour de Wyoming plus a hard 40 miler on Tuesday night----probably some dehydration as well. I seemed to hit my groove about 3 am and well after my first 100 miles and a couple Dr Peppers. I had also changed cycling clothes and gloves and that was a really nice lift---everything was just soaked with the humidity. Plus my first pair of shorts were annoyingly rubbing me in the crotch area the last hour or so.

I was solo, hardly anyone else out, evening noises from the crickets, etc. I got "bored" at about 150 miles, my typical mind games and other normal motivational incentives just didn't seem to be kicking in so stopped and took some time off the bike. Talked to some others were still up. Hit the food tent, etc. Eventually restarted.

At 186 miles my Garmin battery died. I had it such that the screen would light up when prompted so I'm sure that killed it earlier than normal. Less than a mile later my rear shifter cable broke.....so I had either a 50/12 or a 34/12 to ride with. There are a couple smaller hills on the loop (enough for 6900 ft of climbing over 200 miles) so just "stood and danced" through those for the last 5 laps as best I could.

Most of the mileage was solo although I was able to ride some wheels at times....maybe 10-15% of the time. I averaged around 19 mph so my riding time was a little over 10 1/2 hours. I was hoping to average around 20 mph but I just wasn't able to generate enough sustained speed the first 100 miles. I'm pretty sure I had to be the first person to hit 200 miles----no one was passing me for hours and hours. I had the legs to do more but with the shifter cable issue that sealed the deal for me.

I used a light & motion 550 for the first half of the ride and then a light & motion 700 for the remaining time. Everyone commented about how good those lights were if anyone is interested. They are lightweight, cigar shaped and do a nice job. Output is around 600-700 lumens. I'm a little concerned that the 550 didn't last longer but I might have had it on full brightness instead of a step or two lower.

I used my Pinarello Prince and it sure was a terrific ride for the 200 miles. No complaints what so ever When I got back on it after doing the 400+ miles in Wyoming it just felt like the perfect fit and ride. By the way, my Cervelo arrived back within 4 business days as Fed Ex had promised. It's all cleaned up and put back together and ready for the next hilly ride. I even put a new chain on it. The old chain measured fine but after 5000+ miles I figured I'd give a new one a go. My wife had received several breakable gifts so I put them in the bike box along with my bike and other stuff I didn't want to put on the plane. One was a bottle of home made pickles which managed to leak on the return trip. Now my box has a nice vinegar smell to it, which offset the smelly clothing I'd shipped back!!!

When I got back to my car to head home the car battery was dead. Gee whiz.......After about an hour of talking to organizers, maintenance personnel, etc. a fellow rider taking time from riding got me jumped started and I was able to get back home.
Attached Images

Last edited by jppe; 07-27-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 09:04 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 700C, Rans Seavo tandem, Giant OCR-2 & a Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice write up!

Congrats on the double, a double has been on my bucket list for a long time, I'm currently targeting next spring.

Aside for the Dr. Peppers what did you use for calorie replacement?

Semper Fi
Old 07-27-14, 09:07 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 570 Posts
Wow. So you did 200 miles around a 3 mile loop?

A friend of mine likes to organize long distance rides around the PV peninsula (21) miles. He organized one that involved 19 loops for 400 miles. I managed 11 loops or something like that. It think it was the toughest double century I've ever done. Something about doing the same loop ... over and over.

Congrats to you!

Old 07-27-14, 09:30 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by dave5339
Nice write up!

Congrats on the double, a double has been on my bucket list for a long time, I'm currently targeting next spring.

Aside for the Dr. Peppers what did you use for calorie replacement?

Semper Fi
This is probably the humorous part as this was an atypical bike event. Normally I don't eat that much while riding but I took time to socialize and ate a LOT of stuff I normally would not attempt to eat while riding. When I weighed this morning I was 3 pounds heavier......I suspect some of it is the Mexican food I enjoyed last night though.

Here is what I remember getting while at the food tent:

Hamburger meat without bun with pasta salad, tomato and a cookie.

3 slices of Pizza-In the dark I had mistakenly gotten two vegetarian pieces thinking they were meat. The pepperoni's turned out to be tomatoes, the onions were green peppers and the hamburger meat was mushrooms!!! I can not eat green peppers without severe reflux so had to pick those off!

Blueberry muffin

Eggs, sausage, bacon and honey dew

However the best thing I had was at the one rest stop on the loop. They had freshly sliced and peeled oranges on ice. I ate two whole ones around 3 am and they were just incredible. Sweet, juicy cold etc. I think I also had a bag of potato chips at the rest stop very late in the ride.

Last edited by jppe; 07-27-14 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
This writeup reminds me of the old Pepsi Challenge that used to be run in Central Park in NYC in the 1970s and early 1980s. I wish I had done that just once.

WHITE IS BICYCLE WINNER AGAIN - NYTimes.com
Old 07-27-14, 11:43 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
You did a double century on a three-mile city loop?!!?? That just nuts! I'm surprised you lasted 150 miles before you got bored. You're a better man than me.
Old 07-27-14, 02:43 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,332 Times in 838 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
You did a double century on a three-mile city loop?!!?? That just nuts! I'm surprised you lasted 150 miles before you got bored. You're a better man than me.
He's a better man than I am, as well -- my one and only double was the Los Angeles Wheelmen Grand Tour in 1972. A 3-mile loop might indeed get monotonous, but the 20-mile loop mentioned in this thread might be a good way to go.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-27-14, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Congratulations!