Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Selle Anatomica

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Selle Anatomica

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 06:53 PM

Bikes: SOMA Double Cross w/ BlackSheep Ti Fork, SOMA Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even with a zero set back saddle I could not get a decent fit that left room for a Caridice bagman support. I don't have the problem with the Rivet Independence, a Cobb jof Randee or several different Selle Italia models I have used over the years.
I have had the issue on both my Merlin Cyrene and more seriously with the more slack seat tube angle of my Soma SanMarcos... Finally gave up trying and sold the saddle...
I'm 6' 1" with 34" inseam and short Femurs...

Originally Posted by Road Fan
The SA rails are about as long as any saddle you can get, even if they may be biased toward the front. It's about twice as long as for a Brooks, and I can't say for a Rivet. If you need it farther forward, can you get a seat post with zero setback?

Do you have an example of a saddle/seatpost combo that does work for you? Now I'm curious, this seems a unique problem.
Old 12-20-14, 06:32 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
If you do get one, note that you should not use the tension screw to get the top as high and tight as the Brooks. On an SA saddle, the tension should only be tight enough to get you 1/8 - 1/4 in above the seat post when riding. If you tighten it much more than that you will stretch it to the ends of the adjustments and likely not get the comfort out of it you should. Properly tensioned, it still will have a fair amount of sway in the top.

The SA is not as pretty as a Brooks with its sagging ridge, unflattering nose, flaring sides and sometimes asymmetric shape it assumes when it conforms to your butt, but it is far more comfortable in my opinion. Best bet is to just keep it working under your butt instead of admiring it

Last edited by dwmckee; 12-20-14 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
As promised, here are some photos of my laced-up Sella Anatomica saddle. Click to enlarge.

My apologies for breaking "white garage door" protocol but my garage door is brown . . . just wouldn't let the saddle show up well.
Front / Side view showing laces.

Top view showing lacing pattern

Close up of the laces showing position and spacing

Side view showing more "nose up" position of the saddle.

Rick / OCRR
Thanks for the pics Rick. Looks like that saddle has a few miles on it. Nice of SA to provide that service to you, but I notice that Rivet now has a tab with snaps that pull the sides together. Appears to be an effective and more elegant way to address the problem. But for now, my SA is so darn comfortable there is no way I'm going to try something else unless I need to.
Old 12-23-14, 10:42 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by [B
smoore[/B];17410672]Thanks for the pics Rick. Looks like that saddle has a few miles on it. Nice of SA to provide that service to you, but I notice that Rivet now has a tab with snaps that pull the sides together.
Yes, smoore, you are correct! That saddle was on my fixed gear bike since 2006 so very many miles; not sure now many but 3 fixed gear centuries and lots of shorter rides. Will have to look into the Rivit option, I'm not familiar with that brand.

The SA is not as pretty as a Brooks with its sagging ridge, unflattering nose, flaring sides and sometimes asymmetric shape it assumes when it conforms to your butt, but it is far more comfortable in my opinion. Best bet is to just keep it working under your butt instead of admiring it.
True dwmckee, I don't think the Selle Anatomica is pretty at all. However, as you say, that doesn't really matter when you're riding it! The SA would look more "at home" on a steel touring bike rather than my carbon KHS. I do ride that bike on double centuries though, so that's where it will stay.

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-24-14, 08:31 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took advantage of the sale and ordered a SA saddle X model and today was my first ride with it. I only went 10 miles on my trainer but I can definetly already tell it's an upgrade over the bontrager gel saddle my Domane came with.
Old 12-25-14, 01:51 PM
JRV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put an X graphite watershed on my Roubaix this month as well. I have about 90 trainer miles on it and am pretty impressed as well. I thought my Specialized Toupe was pretty good but was running into some issues with it after 3,300 miles and decided to give this a shot. I will bring it down to AZ next week and put it on my bike down there and give it a good test. Can't wait to ride outside for a few days. Have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-14, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Thanks for the pics Rick. Looks like that saddle has a few miles on it. Nice of SA to provide that service to you, but I notice that Rivet now has a tab with snaps that pull the sides together. Appears to be an effective and more elegant way to address the problem. But for now, my SA is so darn comfortable there is no way I'm going to try something else unless I need to.
I have read several time that Rivet was formed a few years ago by a former SA employee. Don't know any of the background to that and would rather not, but it does look like Rivet has come up with a few clever ideas of their own.
Old 12-25-14, 02:29 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The saddle began as a Sideline for a Company that made Industrial Leather Pump Cups and Shaft packing [like used on an inboard motorboats,to keep the water out ].
Old 12-26-14, 08:57 PM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one years ago and couldnt stand the look and the weight. I did however break down and buy one at the 99 special (and I signed up for the beta and got another 15 off).

sitting on the trainer for 3 hours prompted me to get a cushy saddle again, but darn that thing is heavy
Old 12-26-14, 11:07 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'm expecting a new bike sometime in January, and my wife got one of the SA saddles on sale for me. I'll report back if/when I have anything to report.
Old 12-27-14, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else feeling the front of the selle anatomica cutout?

Recently purchased a Selle Anatomica X series watershed. Did a couple of low effort short spins (30m) on rollers and felt good.

Went for 1hr 45m ride outside today and really felt the front of the cutout (short part that runs perpendicular to long cutouts) 1 hour or so into ride. BUT, I did not feel sit bone burn like I felt before with my other saddles - I did use a chamois creme for the first time though.

I set this saddle up with my normal measurements nose to stem and BB to top of seat (roughly- not counting sag in leather to much).

I have not touched tension screw, I weigh 195ish.

Tilt is set up 1/8" high in the nose. I will try saddle at neutral, than try tensioning a turn or so if that does not do it. My first impulse is to radius front of cutout, but not crazy about modifying new saddle that I may end up selling...

Thanks in advance
Old 12-27-14, 09:12 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 145 lbs and ride about 2000 miles per year. Based I what I read on the Selle Anatomica website I ordered a T series watershed black.
After reading the comments here, I wonder if I would be better off with an X saddle in either watershed or truleather. I have been having sit bones aches after riding about 40 minutes or so. I would hate to use up all the tension adjustment in just a few months and be uncomfortable on the saddle because it a saggy droop. I wonder if a hole punch and a zip tie wouldn't add some tension? Sort of like laces on a brooks........hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-28-14, 08:38 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Selle Anatomica suggested an NSX Watershed to me, as their strongest, most durable, and longest lasting saddle. A big plus, is that it looks nice too, and comes in lots of colors. I opted for graphite, to go with my silver and black Sirrus.

I'm used to Brooks B-17, so the hardness of leather didn't surprise me - and I have not had the AnAtomica on a long ride yet ----- but it is definitely more comfortable to sit on right out of the box. It feels very similar to my Brooks, just more compliant...... I'm sure the X would be even more compliant.

Resist the urge to tighten those adjustment bolts. I'd be more inclined to lace it, than adjust(stretch) it. Lacing it will give it more structural strength, by spreading the load to the vertical sides, rather than letting them splay outward.

And, I see no reason that it couldn't be laced, if it needs it --- I just may pre punch it to get it ready. Plus, the holes look nice, and make it lighter (at least 10MPH faster.....) LOL

Did I say "resist the urge to adjust the tensioning bolt"...... Personally, I have found leather saddles to be the most comfortable when perfectly level. I don't get pushed around on it, and can slide anywhere I want easily. I always adjust saddles until I don't move when riding, and where it feels invisible beneath me.

Last edited by Wanderer; 12-28-14 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-28-14, 05:58 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Selle Anatomica suggested an NSX Watershed to me, as their strongest, most durable, and longest lasting saddle. A big plus, is that it looks nice too, and comes in lots of colors. I opted for graphite, to go with my silver and black Sirrus.

I'm used to Brooks B-17, so the hardness of leather didn't surprise me - and I have not had the AnAtomica on a long ride yet ----- but it is definitely more comfortable to sit on right out of the box. It feels very similar to my Brooks, just more compliant...... I'm sure the X would be even more compliant.

Resist the urge to tighten those adjustment bolts. I'd be more inclined to lace it, than adjust(stretch) it. Lacing it will give it more structural strength, by spreading the load to the vertical sides, rather than letting them splay outward.

And, I see no reason that it couldn't be laced, if it needs it --- I just may pre punch it to get it ready. Plus, the holes look nice, and make it lighter (at least 10MPH faster.....) LOL

Did I say "resist the urge to adjust the tensioning bolt"...... Personally, I have found leather saddles to be the most comfortable when perfectly level. I don't get pushed around on it, and can slide anywhere I want easily. I always adjust saddles until I don't move when riding, and where it feels invisible beneath me.
Someone gave you wrong information. The Watershed will hold up to water better then Truleather will but it stretches more and thus you will be adjusting the bolt more and will eventually bottom the bolt out. The Truleather is stiffer and because of that takes longer to break in because it doesn't stretch as much and thus will last longer; all of which I mentioned in an earlier post.

See this: Selle Anatomica Titanico: Best bike touring saddle? - Pedaling Nowhere
Old 12-29-14, 07:36 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I've had a Sella Anatomica on my fixed gear bike for lots of years . . . since 2006 approx. and it's very comfortable though I did tension it several times (easy to do). I met Tom Milton at the Davis Double Century years ago (he was easy to spot in his Sella Anatomica jersey); seemed like a great guy to me, very concerned about my opinion of the saddle he invented!

Recently, I guess from age, it has started to flare out at the sides which has caused some chafing on the inside of my upper legs. I contacted Sell Anatomica about the problem and they have offered to "lace" it for me; no charge except for shipping it to them and back. That's great customer service in my book (Thanks to Carol, Tom's sister, who has carried on with the company)!

Rick / OCRR
It's great that they have stood up to help you, but I hope they are good at lacing. The flaring happened on my first one (from Tom Milton's days in the company), and I could not get it to work for me, for some reason. When I laced it it held in the sides, but rotated the left and right sections so the slot edges stuck up and caused irritation. It was better without lacing, which I removed. After a while on the shelf I went back to that saddle, and has again been one of my most comfortable.

I bought another one new a year ago, and it has been great.

The first one sagged, but I would not call it excessive or a problem. The bolt needed tightening to about 60% of its length, then it stopped changing. Again, it was surprising, but not excessive.
Old 12-29-14, 07:39 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Note from post #34 above, Sella Anatomica had the saddle for two days and got it back to me neatly laced up and no more flare at the sides!

Tried it out on a 58 mile ride today and found it to be super-comfortable again. Thank you Sella Anatomica!

Rick / OCRR
Great news! I'd love to se a picture of how they did it.
Old 12-29-14, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by scottz123
Recently purchased a Selle Anatomica X series watershed. Did a couple of low effort short spins (30m) on rollers and felt good.

Went for 1hr 45m ride outside today and really felt the front of the cutout (short part that runs perpendicular to long cutouts) 1 hour or so into ride. BUT, I did not feel sit bone burn like I felt before with my other saddles - I did use a chamois creme for the first time though.

I set this saddle up with my normal measurements nose to stem and BB to top of seat (roughly- not counting sag in leather to much).

I have not touched tension screw, I weigh 195ish.

Tilt is set up 1/8" high in the nose. I will try saddle at neutral, than try tensioning a turn or so if that does not do it. My first impulse is to radius front of cutout, but not crazy about modifying new saddle that I may end up selling...

Thanks in advance
Yes, I felt it when I set it up that way. But you are then too far forward on the saddle.

What works for me is to try to get my sit bones on the two little dimples on the wide part of the saddle - this is at the widest part of the saddle. I'm pretty sure this area of the leather is intended to hold your sit bones. After that adjust nose up or down angle to not slide forward, and not have excessive pressure forward of your sit bones. Adjusting saddle tension is also a part of this setup.

It's in the instructions.
Old 12-29-14, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Wanderer

"Resist the urge to tighten those adjustment bolts" is necessary for a Brooks - if you never touch the bolt, you're probably best off, except I had a "pre-softened" Pro that was pre-sagged.

For a SA it is intended that you do so - it's part of the adjustment procedure. It's even possible to over tighten and then back it off.
Old 12-29-14, 08:41 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Great news! I'd love to se a picture of how they did it.
Hi Road Fan,

For photos, please see post #43 on this thread; previous page.

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-29-14, 08:52 AM

Yes, thanks, I finally found them!

So, no issues with the edges of the cutout after lacing? It's good that they only laced in the nose area - the wide area was left nice and flat!
Old 12-29-14, 09:27 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
So, no issues with the edges of the cutout after lacing? It's good that they only laced in the nose area - the wide area was left nice and flat!
No issues so far and while I've done several rides on the saddle after lacing, I haven't done any really long rides so will have to wait until after the first century (at least) before I know for sure. So far though, it's all good.

When I first contacted Selle Anatomica about the problem, I was going to try to lace it myself but they replied that they knew exactly where to place the lacing and I should therefore leave it to them. Okay, no arguement from me, esp. when they said they'd do it no charge.

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-29-14, 09:38 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
"Resist the urge to tighten those adjustment bolts" is necessary for a Brooks - if you never touch the bolt, you're probably best off, except I had a "pre-softened" Pro that was pre-sagged.

For a SA it is intended that you do so - it's part of the adjustment procedure. It's even possible to over tighten and then back it off.
I agree, that it may be more "usual" to have to tighten an AnAtomica , than it is with a Brooks - but you can just as easily over tighten, and ruin it. Best to contact the maker for tightening advice, as there have been cases where it was over tightened, and warrantee denied, because of the error. There should always be a certain amount of "sag" with this saddle. Tighten it at your own peril ----- therefore, "resist the urge to tighten any leather saddle" unless it is absolutely required, is good advice - even backed up by Selle AnAtomica. Over tightening will pull at the attachment points, ruining it forever.

Contact the maker, for specific tightening direction, before you do it. Selle Anatomica has a very specific amount of sag that is ALWAYS required.

Resist the urge to turn that adjustment bolt!
Old 12-29-14, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have been riding SA for several years now, very comfy. My first one stretched out quickly but was replaced no charge with the new thicker model which is holding up well. I was impressed with their customer service. The saddle pictured in my avatar pic is the earlier thin model, I like it loose like a leather hammock. BTW I weigh in around 190.
I have a B17 on my MTB. The only way I can ride a Brooks without getting severe numbcox was to cut a relief notch along the top and lace the underside. I think the Brooks will probably last forever. Still find the SA better for me.

Last edited by Worknomore; 12-29-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-29-14, 11:47 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 1,060 Posts
As promised, here are some photos of my laced-up Sella Anatomica saddle.
FWIW, Gyes offers factory pre-laced models (example).
Old 12-30-14, 02:44 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got my selle anatomica T series watershed today. Took a little while to adjust the seat so that I felt comfortable. It's a little farther forward then I thought it would be. Slightly ahead of the mid line. The leather is stiffer than I expected. I did tilt the nose up slightly. I haven't really given it a good road test yet, but it's all set to go.. More will be revealed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.