Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-08, 08:47 AM   #1
chaadster
Thread Killer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 7,467
Fitted Schwalbe "Fat Frank" tires in blonde on hucker(pics)

Just a couple of pics of my new Schwalbe Fat Franks on my Mt. Cycle Rumble. Took 'em for a quick spin yesterday, and am quite happy with them. They roll pretty fast, and offer a good deal of cushion (2.35" width) at 45psi. I'll take them down to the dirt jumps tomorrow and see how they do there and on hardpack singletrack, but really, most of their use will be "urban assault" type stuff, e.g. bombing stairways and playing around on low walls and the like.

Whaddya think?



chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 08:30 PM   #2
nahh
on your left.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB
Posts: 1,802
looks nice. that bike dosen't look like a dirt jumper with the seat that high though.
nahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 02:06 AM   #3
croscoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Wow, that's classy.
croscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 04:57 AM   #4
Doug5150
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: IL-USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaadster View Post
Just a couple of pics of my new Schwalbe Fat Franks on my Mt. Cycle Rumble. Took 'em for a quick spin yesterday, and am quite happy with them. They roll pretty fast, and offer a good deal of cushion (2.35" width) at 45psi. I'll take them down to the dirt jumps tomorrow and see how they do there and on hardpack singletrack, but really, most of their use will be "urban assault" type stuff, e.g. bombing stairways and playing around on low walls and the like.

Whaddya think?
I think your rims are rather narrow for those tires.
If you want to run fat tires, it's better to use the widest rims you can get.
Your rims will work, but if you had wider rims, you could run lower pressures (which would absorb bumps better) but the tires would still handle well.

For a <200 lb adult, fat tires shouldn't need to be inflated much beyond 30 psi, if even that much.
I weigh ~270 and built a motorized bike that weighs ~100 lbs. The wheels are steel Worksmans (cruiser-style rims, about 30mm inside width). The tires are 2.125 Kendas, and the pressures are still only 25/40 PSI front/rear.

-----

The Fat Franks are a nearly-perfect tire.
I just wish Schwalbe would sell them without the printed logo and reflex strips, for those of us wanting to build retro-style bikes.
As it is, if you want them naked you gotta sand the unwanted printing off with a flap-wheel. :|
~
Doug5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 05:55 AM   #5
chaadster
Thread Killer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 7,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahh View Post
looks nice. that bike dosen't look like a dirt jumper with the seat that high though.
nahh,

Yeah, but that's what a quick release seat collar is for! This was their maiden voyage--a 7 mile road trip--and pedaling efficiency was paramount.
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 06:02 AM   #6
chaadster
Thread Killer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 7,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5150 View Post
I think your rims are rather narrow for those tires.
If you want to run fat tires, it's better to use the widest rims you can get.
Your rims will work, but if you had wider rims, you could run lower pressures (which would absorb bumps better) but the tires would still handle well.

For a <200 lb adult, fat tires shouldn't need to be inflated much beyond 30 psi, if even that much.
I weigh ~270 and built a motorized bike that weighs ~100 lbs. The wheels are steel Worksmans (cruiser-style rims, about 30mm inside width). The tires are 2.125 Kendas, and the pressures are still only 25/40 PSI front/rear.

-----

The Fat Franks are a nearly-perfect tire.
I just wish Schwalbe would sell them without the printed logo and reflex strips, for those of us wanting to build retro-style bikes.
As it is, if you want them naked you gotta sand the unwanted printing off with a flap-wheel. :|
~
Ah, I've got to start playing with the pressures more. My previous 2.35s, the Kenda Small Block Eights from the John Tomac series, I ran at 40psi, and sometimes a bit less. I wanted to see if this tire would roll faster.
chaadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 AM.