Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-14, 02:47 PM   #1
Fauxtwenty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please help!

Hello,

I know I am new to the forum and feel like I should prove myself to everyone here but I am new to cycling(one year) and kind of have an emergency decision to make.

Long story short, I am marrying my girlfriend of 6 years and in order for me to afford the cost, I am forced to sell my current car and might have to bike all year long through 2015.

Anyways, my name is Jarin and I am from the Pacific Northwest(WA state). I am currently looking for a CX bike mainly for commuting to work that can withstand the rain and possibly snow here in WA.

Here are the bikes I am considering; All City Macho Man Disc, Surly Straggler, and Soma Double Cross Disc(complete). They're all great bikes from what I've seen/heard on my research but at this point which bike would be the best bang for your buck? FYI I will also attach a rear rack and I am aware that the Macho Man Disc does not have a braze on but a Salsa Post-Lock will solve my problem since I will packing very light.
Fauxtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 05:38 PM   #2
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1978 Austro-Daimler, 1987 Pinarello Montello
Posts: 8,927
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
As you said, those are all great bikes. I'm not sure the prices you're getting locally, but of the three I'd probably lean toward the Macho Man because of the 105 shifters. The Double Cross has Apex, which I've heard is comparable to 105, but looks like it costs a bit more. Shimano vs. SRAM is really a "ride it and see which you like" kind of decision.

It appears you're looking for a steel framed bike but, if I may throw in a wrinkle, I think the Kona Jake the Snake is a pretty good value and worth consideration. It's got very similar components to the Macho Man, but with a aluminum frame, carbon fork and PF30 bottom bracket. It also has all the mount points you need for rack and fenders. I can tell you that the Snake rides as smoothly as the steel bikes I've owned.

I think we need a Jake the Snake vs. Macho Man cage match to settle this. Maybe the winner can take on the Nature Boy.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 12:45 PM   #3
NZier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Carbon Synapse (Ultegra 6800 11-spd), 2009 Blue CXC
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm with Andy. I don't own either of those bikes but I've heard fantastic things about the macho man and jake the snake.
NZier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 12:49 PM   #4
justin1138
Senior Member
 
justin1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 90's F. Moser Forma, 2011 Raleigh RX 1.0, 70's Sekai Touring Series, 1998 Gary Fisher Aquila,
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'd go with the Macho Man if those are your top three. Same reason as Andy pointed out, the 105 shifters. The overall spec (to me at least) seems to be a bit more thought out. Unless you're dead set on the disc brakes, you could go with the cantilever version and save yourself a few dollars and probably some weight too.
justin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 09:43 AM   #5
flargle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm sorry but I have to say this: I don't think it's a good idea to sell a capital good like a car to finance a wedding. It's such a trend for young couples to compromise their financial well-being just to hold a big wedding. (And "big" is a relative term. If you need to sell your car to hold the wedding, it's "big" to you.)

Another thing that I have observed is that when a long-term relationship "finally" moves to marriage, the man feels like he owes the woman a big wedding, because he made her wait so long.

These are big topics and you of course can tell me to shove it if I'm out of order here.
flargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:21 PM   #6
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I'm biased owning 3 Surlys but I love my disc brakes for year round commuting. Much better in the snow and wet. Running fenders as well?
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:25 PM   #7
RPK79
Senior Member
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Fuji Track Classic
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flargle View Post
I'm sorry but I have to say this: I don't think it's a good idea to sell a capital good like a car to finance a wedding. It's such a trend for young couples to compromise their financial well-being just to hold a big wedding. (And "big" is a relative term. If you need to sell your car to hold the wedding, it's "big" to you.)

Another thing that I have observed is that when a long-term relationship "finally" moves to marriage, the man feels like he owes the woman a big wedding, because he made her wait so long.

These are big topics and you of course can tell me to shove it if I'm out of order here.
+1
RPK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:33 PM   #8
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My wife and I got married at Voodoo Donuts and spent very little for the whole affair...our 3rd anniversary will be this summer and we have been a happy couple for almost 7 years.

Money can't buy that and you may find that you and your bride to be may need a car...
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 03:19 PM   #9
ill.clyde
Senior Member
 
ill.clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Green Bay
Bikes: 2012 Kona Jake, 2009 Trek 1.2, 1997 Trek 6700
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
+1
+2 ... WTF?

Marriage is a committment between two people who love each other. Marriage does NOT equate to wedding.

No wedding is worth such a ridiculous solution
ill.clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 03:29 PM   #10
muzpuf
Senior Member
 
muzpuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill.clyde View Post
+2 ... WTF?

Marriage is a committment between two people who love each other. Marriage does NOT equate to wedding.

No wedding is worth such a ridiculous solution
+3 double WTF ...........I would question the type of person who would even allow you to sell your car and be forced bike to work JUST TO PAY FOR A WEDDING
muzpuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 04:03 PM   #11
justin1138
Senior Member
 
justin1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 90's F. Moser Forma, 2011 Raleigh RX 1.0, 70's Sekai Touring Series, 1998 Gary Fisher Aquila,
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
My wife and I got married at Voodoo Donuts and spent very little for the whole affair...our 3rd anniversary will be this summer and we have been a happy couple for almost 7 years.

Money can't buy that and you may find that you and your bride to be may need a car...

I attended a wedding at Voodoo a couple years back... It was a blast!

Last edited by justin1138; 02-28-14 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
justin1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 04:54 PM   #12
Kopsis
Senior Member
 
Kopsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St. Pete, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzpuf View Post
+3 double WTF ...........I would question the type of person who would even allow you to sell your car and be forced bike to work JUST TO PAY FOR A WEDDING
+4

Starting a new life by immediately spending way beyond your means is not a recipe for success. Someone needs a Mr. Money Mustache face-punch.

Giving up the car and bike commuting so you can stay healthy and save/invest a bunch of extra money over the course of your life = good. Giving up the car so you can take what little equity you have left in it and blow it on something completely frivolous = WTF!
Kopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 06:50 PM   #13
chrismorg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Garden City South Carolina
Bikes: Colnago Master. Cannondale caad4
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopsis View Post
+4

Starting a new life by immediately spending way beyond your means is not a recipe for success. Someone needs a Mr. Money Mustache face-punch.

Giving up the car and bike commuting so you can stay healthy and save/invest a bunch of extra money over the course of your life = good. Giving up the car so you can take what little equity you have left in it and blow it on something completely frivolous = WTF!
+5 I will join in with the WTF crowd You have been dating for 6 years and have no money saved up for a wedding you cannot afford unless you sell your car ?????? ever hear of a justice of the peace (if you last 10 years renew your vows and have a big wedding then)
chrismorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 11:44 PM   #14
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1978 Austro-Daimler, 1987 Pinarello Montello
Posts: 8,927
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
There are a number of notable stories (Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, The Princess Bride) in which a man must earn his fortune in order to marry as he wishes (albeit with varying degrees of success). Selling a car seems like a small sacrifice. How about we give the guy a break and assume he's thought this through?
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 01:05 AM   #15
Fauxtwenty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well didn't expect this. Anyways bought a cross check frame set and will be swapping parts that I currently have on my current bike. Thanks guys.
Fauxtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 01:27 AM   #16
muzpuf
Senior Member
 
muzpuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
There are a number of notable stories (Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, The Princess Bride) in which a man must earn his fortune in order to marry as he wishes (albeit with varying degrees of success). Selling a car seems like a small sacrifice. How about we give the guy a break and assume he's thought this through?
andy you are correct "notable stories" which is just made up fiction (throw in starwars ,batman, and the hunger games) because they are all just made up stories ........but we are talking real life and in real life you should never sell all your possessions just to pay for a 8 hour wedding
muzpuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 03:15 PM   #17
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,369
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
So 65er did you have a double doughnut ceremony? it is cheaper than gold, for rings, certainly ..


to our young OP , consider A Bakfiets , when you have to rush her to the Delivery room for that first birth,
that cargo box in front will be comfortably padded, to get her there ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-01-14 at 03:19 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 12:48 AM   #18
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1978 Austro-Daimler, 1987 Pinarello Montello
Posts: 8,927
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzpuf View Post
andy you are correct "notable stories" which is just made up fiction (throw in starwars ,batman, and the hunger games) because they are all just made up stories ........but we are talking real life and in real life you should never sell all your possessions just to pay for a 8 hour wedding
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 02:17 PM   #19
tsurr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Knoxville, Tn.
Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauxtwenty View Post
Well didn't expect this. Anyways bought a cross check frame set and will be swapping parts that I currently have on my current bike. Thanks guys.
Good Luck, in ten years or less you will know if you made the right decision and remember never,never go to bed bad, much easier to say " I am sorry , let's talk. old guy
tsurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 03:19 PM   #20
User1
Senior Member
 
User1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Bikes: From the oldest owned. 1967 Schwinn Tandem, Yeah foldie, Dahon Boardwalk D7, more
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismorg View Post
+5 I will join in with the WTF crowd You have been dating for 6 years and have no money saved up for a wedding you cannot afford unless you sell your car ?????? ever hear of a justice of the peace (if you last 10 years renew your vows and have a big wedding then)
+6 WTF with the gang here. You better have a pretty freaking good location to take advantage of the surrounding and be able to get around with no car. Like everything is flat around you, >2 miles from downtown, and 1/2 mile to the station of the metro system. Can be done being carless, but between two peeps? Can easily be done sharing a car, and that should be easy to pull off.

The little lady and I would always forgo the big celebration that is pretty much manufactured to be "needing" by the society one lives in.
User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:54 PM   #21
muzpuf
Senior Member
 
muzpuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes: Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
will this be what you will look like car free on your wedding day ????????/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike-wedding-colorful-15.jpg (83.4 KB, 22 views)
muzpuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 11:36 PM   #22
NZier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Carbon Synapse (Ultegra 6800 11-spd), 2009 Blue CXC
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+1

Too bad my girlfriend can't ride a bike. Fauxtwenty, how's the build going?
NZier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 10:31 AM   #23
Fauxtwenty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah my fiace is a runner but she rides her road bike with me sometimes and we hope to ride a lot this summer. Anyways, the build is going great! I was really leaning towards the Cross Check but ended up with the Soma Stanyan cause of it's classic geometry.

and Muzpuf my fiance has a car, so we won't have to do that and I won't need a bakfiets either when my fiance is pregnant cause we can call for an ambulance for free cause I didn't mention here that I work at a hospital. oh and when she delivers we'll pay $0.

I'll update here with pics soon: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...48-Please-help!
Fauxtwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 10:55 AM   #24
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
So 65er did you have a double doughnut ceremony? it is cheaper than gold, for rings, certainly ..

to our young OP , consider A Bakfiets , when you have to rush her to the Delivery room for that first birth,
that cargo box in front will be comfortably padded, to get her there ..
We opted for titanium rings.

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 AM.