Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Keep calm, Cycle on Panza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Colnago, Ridley, Mongoose, Aprilia
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Just did my first lengthy ride!

    Hi guys, I did my first lengthy ride yesterday: )! I feel quite proud of myself, though others might not think its so long haha. I rode 82 miles, with 2800ft climbed, averaging 16.8mph with traffic and stops, in 04 hours 53 minutes.

    I have goals of being able to ride in a local charity century. I thought my legs would be dead and I would not be able to walk today, however I was able to do a good hour ride just fine this morning and the damage to my legs weren't as bad as I thought.

    Any post long ride tips? And do you guys think I'll be ready for the full century?
    Your bike reflects your attitude and your personality.

  2. #2
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,997
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    Hi guys, I did my first lengthy ride yesterday: )! I feel quite proud of myself, though others might not think its so long haha. I rode 82 miles, with 2800ft climbed, averaging 16.8mph with traffic and stops, in 04 hours 53 minutes.

    I have goals of being able to ride in a local charity century. I thought my legs would be dead and I would not be able to walk today, however I was able to do a good hour ride just fine this morning and the damage to my legs weren't as bad as I thought.

    Any post log ride tips? And do you guys think I'll be ready for the full century?
    If you did 82 miles I'd be amazed if you can't complete 100 miles. Basically what you're doing is the ride you did today and then tacking 18 miles on the end. By the time you've done 80 miles the last handful aren't all that far.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume with a huge pack of people breaking down the wind for you, you'll destroy that century. And hopefully the other riders will be awesome like yourself Maybe will average even faster.

    Also great job!

  4. #4
    Bridge Burner RollCNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NY
    My Bikes
    Felt Rejected
    Posts
    7,133
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can ride 82, you can ride 100. And if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball (if you are a Rip Torn fan).

    Riding a century is mostly in your head.

  5. #5
    Senior Member decotriumph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tullahoma, TN USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Quick 4; 1935 Excelsior Tall Frame; 1930s Elgin Cycle Motor; 1898 Columbia Racer; 1900 Monarch Chainless, 1937 BSA male/male tandem, a few more.
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job!
    Alan M.
    Tullahoma, TN

  6. #6
    Keep calm, Cycle on Panza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Colnago, Ridley, Mongoose, Aprilia
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys have got me pumped up! I want to ride more but I think I should rest also ...
    Your bike reflects your attitude and your personality.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    You guys have got me pumped up! I want to ride more but I think I should rest also ...
    After that, you'll be training for ultra distance races.

  8. #8
    Climbing: Ropes or Wheels PiLigand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Unied States, Maine
    My Bikes
    2012 Scott Foil 30, 1980 Univega
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Cheers, man. That's a solid ride for sure. You'll be fine on the century.

    Post-ride trip is really all nutrition: Chocolate milk. Also, if you're lactose intolerant like me: PB&J.
    Even if they aren't scientifically sound, delightful nonetheless.

    Good luck with your ride!
    Uh oh. I'm looking at Ebay again...

  9. #9
    L-I-V-I-N dtrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Stafford, OR
    Posts
    3,255
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!
    "The older you do get, the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin', man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

    '14 Cannondale Synapse (carbon) - '04 Bianchi Imola (steel) - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur (mtn)

  10. #10
    Bike rider alexaschwanden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palo Alto
    My Bikes
    2013 Felt 960, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,601
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job!
    2014 Felt Z5 carbon - 234.3 miles

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    My Bikes
    Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PiLigand View Post
    Wow, Cheers, man. That's a solid ride for sure. You'll be fine on the century.

    Post-ride trip is really all nutrition: Chocolate milk. Also, if you're lactose intolerant like me: PB&J.
    Even if they aren't scientifically sound, delightful nonetheless.

    Good luck with your ride!
    Protein shake probably do fine. I'm lactose intolerant and the ON Gold shake with mostly Whey Isolate doesn't bother me at all. Whey Isolate (hydrolized) for the most part is lactose free. Maybe if you are on the extreme of intolerance may bother you.

    That and more and more people are thinking milk may negatively affect with increase in prostate cancer, hip fractures etc, that there are better sources of calcium like vegetables, beans etc.

    Comparison Whey protein is being promoted as prostate cancer preventative.

    "The finding: Glutathione levels rose by a remarkable 64 percent. "Whey is a great source of the amino acid cysteine, and cysteine can become glutathione in the body," explains Rosemary L. Walzem, R.D., Ph.D., director of the Center for Nutrition, Health, and Food Genomics at Texas A&M University."

    Who knows, I don't have much choice in the matter, I avoid lactose as much as possible and if for some reason lacking protein that day or after a run/cycle, I'll drink a shake.
    Last edited by zymphad; 05-20-14 at 06:34 PM.

  12. #12
    Keep calm, Cycle on Panza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Colnago, Ridley, Mongoose, Aprilia
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I usually drink a whey protein shake after my hard runs. Either that or a heart meal of fish and blah. I am indeed lactose intolerant so thanks for the consideration : )!!
    Your bike reflects your attitude and your personality.

  13. #13
    Long Member zeego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panza View Post
    Hi guys, I did my first lengthy ride yesterday: )! I feel quite proud of myself, though others might not think its so long haha. I rode 82 miles, with 2800ft climbed, averaging 16.8mph with traffic and stops, in 04 hours 53 minutes.

    I have goals of being able to ride in a local charity century. I thought my legs would be dead and I would not be able to walk today, however I was able to do a good hour ride just fine this morning and the damage to my legs weren't as bad as I thought.

    Any post long ride tips? And do you guys think I'll be ready for the full century?
    Good going!
    >>> Lemond Malliot Jaune --- Ciocc SLX Designer 84 --- De Rosa SLX Professional --- Lemond Zurich F/F

  14. #14
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're ready.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  15. #15
    Senior Member OldsCOOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    northern michigan
    My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Posts
    5,769
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on that 82, you knocked it out! Before my first century I did an 81mi ride the week prior. Yeah man, get after it.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

    '85 Trek 460 road racer

    '89 Raleigh Technium PRE

    '79 Motobecane Super Mirage

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    2011 Fuji SST 2.0 | 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.7
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! Get it!!

  17. #17
    SpIn SpIn SuGaR! FIVE ONE SIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats! you're DEFINITELY ready for the century. i honestly rode my first century (114 miles) my first year riding, with nothing longer a 60 mile ride under my belt, on only 4 hours sleep. and since it's with a group, i'm sure the other riders will be willing to help you out if you need anything. here's some advice...

    - eat a bowl of pasta and drink a glass of red wine the night before the ride.
    - get a really good nights sleep the night before the ride. meaning don't wake up early to eat a meal before the ride, you can eat something at the first stop and the extra sleep would benefit you more.
    - don't over hydrate the day before the ride, drink your usual daily intake of water.
    - set your bike computer or watch to beep every 15 minutes, so you don't forget to drink and you stay hydrated.
    - don't bring a carry on with you, bring what you normally bring on a ride. if you're with a group, everyone's going to have tubes, co2 cartridges, most likely a frame pump, a bike wrench, ect.
    - the longer you ride, the harder it will be for your body to digest food, so eat food earlier in the ride and stick to gel shots towards the end of the ride.

    and lastly, do pretty much what you did during the 82 mile ride! translation: don't try something out for the first time during a century ride, especially considering it sounds like your numbers for the 82 mile ride were good...

    just remember to have fun, and take pictures of course...

  18. #18
    Farmer tan f4rrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Allez
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drink an ice-cold Coke at mile 85. It's heavenly!

  19. #19
    Speed is Life... UnfilteredDregs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NYC, duh Bronx.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ HED Ardennes +
    Posts
    1,376
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
    Drink an ice-cold Coke at mile 85. It's heavenly!
    Is there usually a concession at the 85 mile mark?!?!?!
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/UnfilteredDregs
    Poetically vacant... -U.D.

  20. #20
    Farmer tan f4rrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    My Bikes
    Allez
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    Is there usually a concession at the 85 mile mark?!?!?!
    There was a 7-11 convenience store.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Domane 6.2
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
    Drink an ice-cold Coke at mile 85. It's heavenly!
    True dat!

  22. #22
    SpIn SpIn SuGaR! FIVE ONE SIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
    Drink an ice-cold Coke at mile 85. It's heavenly!
    +2

  23. #23
    Keep calm, Cycle on Panza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Colnago, Ridley, Mongoose, Aprilia
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX View Post
    congrats! you're DEFINITELY ready for the century. i honestly rode my first century (114 miles) my first year riding, with nothing longer a 60 mile ride under my belt, on only 4 hours sleep. and since it's with a group, i'm sure the other riders will be willing to help you out if you need anything. here's some advice...

    - eat a bowl of pasta and drink a glass of red wine the night before the ride.
    - get a really good nights sleep the night before the ride. meaning don't wake up early to eat a meal before the ride, you can eat something at the first stop and the extra sleep would benefit you more.
    - don't over hydrate the day before the ride, drink your usual daily intake of water.
    - set your bike computer or watch to beep every 15 minutes, so you don't forget to drink and you stay hydrated.
    - don't bring a carry on with you, bring what you normally bring on a ride. if you're with a group, everyone's going to have tubes, co2 cartridges, most likely a frame pump, a bike wrench, ect.
    - the longer you ride, the harder it will be for your body to digest food, so eat food earlier in the ride and stick to gel shots towards the end of the ride.

    and lastly, do pretty much what you did during the 82 mile ride! translation: don't try something out for the first time during a century ride, especially considering it sounds like your numbers for the 82 mile ride were good...

    just remember to have fun, and take pictures of course...
    Wow! Thanks for all the century tips! The 15 minute clock is something I can probably adapt to my group rides too maybe to make sure I drink enough?
    Your bike reflects your attitude and your personality.

  24. #24
    Keep calm, Cycle on Panza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Colnago, Ridley, Mongoose, Aprilia
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
    True dat!
    I'm on the cult of people who don't drink carbonated drinks?! -- But when I do have to drink them, I usually shake the fizz out until it's not as fizzy. I must be awkward. Haha
    Your bike reflects your attitude and your personality.

  25. #25
    Senior Member awfulwaffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glendale, WI
    My Bikes
    Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! Usually, I drink some whey protein after my longer rides and it seems to cut down recovery time considerably (though it could all be in my head). Like others have said, if you can ride 82 you can ride 100. The longest training rides my friends and I did preparing for our first century were 60 miles. The thought was, if we can ride 60 miles 3 days in a row, we can ride 100 miles in one day, rest/visit with friends at our destination, and do 100 miles back the day after that. Worked out fine, though our times on the first ride weren't as good as yours!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •