Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how to tell between direct-pull and canti levers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 12:46 PM
Ride for Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i recently read sheldon's article about direct-pull brakes. all the explanation of how direct-pull require different levers makes sense, but how do you tell the difference between (for a flat/riser bar) a direct-pull lever and a regular canti lever when staring at a loose parts bin?

for that matter, is there a difference between a road lever set up for a caliper brake and a road lever intended for a canti brake? based on the cyclocross setups i've seen, i'm assuming no, but i'm not sure.
Old 03-01-09, 12:48 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Canti's/calipers use the same lever. You can't use the aforementioned with a v-brake. That's where the incompatibility is. Measure the distance between the pivot and where the cable arcs out. Bigger distance 30mm+ (someone chime in with the exact figure) is v-brake. Smaller is canti/caliper compatible.

Even if you get it wrong, you'll immediately know when you setup the brakes that something is amiss as the lever feel will be different.
Old 03-01-09, 06:04 PM
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My brake levers on the Swobo Dixon with Avid mechanical discs have about 48mm between the lever pivot point and the cable attachment. These levers are listed as being intended for direct pull or SRAM drum brakes and also for Avid dirt mechanical discs.

The levers on my cantilever brake equipped Trek 950 have a pivot point and cable attachment separation distance of about 25mm, half as much.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/