Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do I have "B" Style Shifter Bosses?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 116 Posts

After posting my initial shots of my '85 Raleigh Kodiak, it was mentioned (by Bianchigirll) that I may have "B" Type bosses exclusive to Shimano.

These are funky looking (sorry for the not-so-hot shots) and I have a bad feeling about them, but I need confirmation.

If they are "B Types", can anyone suggest downtube shifter cable stops that would play nice with these?

Thanks everyone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
b_style_shift_boss_01.jpg (65.6 KB, 623 views)
b_style_shift_boss_02.jpg (64.4 KB, 1253 views)
Old 03-12-12, 02:35 PM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Yes, those are made to work with Shimano Shifters. I believe there are/were washers to make them campy compatible.... I have no idea about their availability.

Here is a set that I had:

DSC01255 by mkeller234, on Flickr

DSC00924 by mkeller234, on Flickr
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-12-12, 02:41 PM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Thin Man
.....If they are "B Types", can anyone suggest downtube shifter cable stops that would play nice with these?
Shimano STI Downtube Cable Stop and Adjuster
Old 03-12-12, 02:44 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
AH the Kodiak. I do not believe anyone makes a cable stop to fit on these. I am afraid you options are limited to doing some not very attractive like using a clamp above or below those bosses. I believe a mamber or two have had some success in modifying regular cable stops to fit these.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-12-12, 02:46 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Stealthammer
Those will not easily fit onto to the OPs bosses without modifying them

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-12-12, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I do not believe anyone makes a cable stop to fit on these. I am afraid you options are limited to doing some not very attractive like using a clamp above or below those bosses. I believe a mamber or two have had some success in modifying regular cable stops to fit these.
Ooooh boy. Well, hopefully someone will chime in to provide some kind of solution. I want to mount either Suntour Commands or Suntour Bar-ends but either way I go, this is an essential cable point and downtube shifters were not on the agenda.
Old 03-12-12, 03:09 PM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those will not easily fit onto to the OPs bosses without modifying them
I've used them on several early '80s and newer frames that originally had Shimano DT shifters, and they fit perfectly.

Scroll down the page and you can read reviews by others as well.......

Last edited by Stealthammer; 03-12-12 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 03:20 PM
Bianchi Goddess

I've used them on several early '80s and newer frames that originally had Shimano DT shifters, and they fit perfectly.

I have used them successfully myself on lots of bikes but...not on those bosses with the round base. Most housing stops like that that I have seen rely on the square base of the boss to keep them from spinning and are not designed to fit over the style of boss the OP has.

See how the OP's is round at the bottom?

Compared to a 'normal' boss

Attached Images
Bosses.jpg (72.2 KB, 935 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 03-12-12 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 03:25 PM
Still spinnin'.....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have used them successfully myself on lots of bikes but...not on those bosses with the round base. Most housing stops like that that I have seen rely on the square base of the boss to keep them from spinning and are not designed to fit over the style of boss the OP has.
The flat mount versions would spin on the round bosses, but the concave versions mount perfectly and stay nice and tight.
Old 03-12-12, 03:35 PM
Bianchi Goddess

OH I see a perfect fit! Now I just need a 4.5m screw about 1" long to hold it.

Attached Images
DSC_0178.jpg (87.1 KB, 307 views)
DSC_0179.jpg (83.7 KB, 944 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-12-12, 04:07 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Ran into this a few weeks ago when I added bar end shifters to my '84 Supercourse. After reading few threads saying it's possible to modify Shimano cable stops by grinding out a notch to accommodate the braze on. I tried doing this with a Dremal. I'm usually pretty handy with stuff like this, but it didn't work out for me. Maybe I had the wrong type of cable stops to begin with.

My Raleigh, and I believe your kodiac came with a flick stand that doubles as a cable stop on bikes equipped with stem shifters.
This is what I'm doing for now. Not real happy with how it looks, but it's functional.

Edit: Of course, if you don't have the plastic piece for the flick stand. This information is useless.

Last edited by brian3069; 03-12-12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-13-12, 07:22 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Interesting idea Brian.

Does anyone else have any input on this?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-13-12, 10:14 AM

The good news is, Universal is just a mile or two away from my house. Therefore, buying/picking up and possibly returning won't be that big of a deal. Even with the product in question, I plan on trying this method (this weekend?).
Old 03-13-12, 10:54 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by The Thin Man
The good news is, Universal is just a mile or two away from my house. Therefore, buying/picking up and possibly returning won't be that big of a deal. Even with the product in question, I plan on trying this method (this weekend?).
OK here is my my last word on this and my opinion.

I stuck that adaptor on my bike to show how it fits/doesn't fit. Yes it may work but not the way it was designed to work.

These adaptors wether 'flat back' for larger tubed frames or "concave back" for steel frame are both designed to sit down on the square base of the shifter.

The problem with using them as in the pic I posted is that the only thing holding it firmly in place is the screw (assuming you either found a 4.5m screw long enough to hold it or used a bottom tap to rethread your boss) and it is possible for the adaptor to rotate on the keyway of the round based adaptor.

Now it is your frame/bike and you can do whatever you like to to but IMHO anything you do is worth doing right and not mickeymoused.

If you really want to use these I strongly suggest breaking out the dremel and some jeweler files and getting to work and make it fit nicely and strong.

Other wise C&V up and stick with friction shifting.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-13-12, 11:14 AM

The problem I had, even after grinding the cable stop to fit over the shifter boss. The 4.5m screw wasn't long enough to secure the stop tight to the frame. I think it would have worked with a longer screw, I'm not willing to re-thread the shifter boss to 5m.
Old 03-13-12, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by brian3069
The problem I had, even after grinding the cable stop to fit over the shifter boss. The 4.5m screw wasn't long enough to secure the stop tight to the frame. I think it would have worked with a longer screw, I'm not willing to re-thread the shifter boss to 5m.
Brian, are you saying that a 5m screw would be long enough but the boss is not threaded deeply enough to accept the screw to keep the cable stop attached to the frame tightly?
Old 03-13-12, 11:30 AM

The cable stop requires a longer screw then a shift lever. The Shimano bosses use a imposable to find 4.5m screw. If the threads were 5m, a screw the needed length could be had at any hardware store.
Old 03-13-12, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I modified my campy levers to fit that boss.

Drilled a hole in the lever inside the rim (round part) and inserted a steel pin to act as a stop.
Old 03-13-12, 01:48 PM

Here's one done by BF member philg, looks pretty good. I might pick up another set of cable stops and try it again.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ube-Boss-shape

Old 03-13-12, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by brian3069
Here's one done by BF member philg, looks pretty good.
Not bad and thanks for the thread, Brian.
I knew others had run into issue before this and found a fairly clean, solid, non-Mickey Mouse solution.
Old 03-14-12, 04:57 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have worked on literally thousands of bicycles and motorcycles over the past 40 years and my shops and garages have always been basically small machine shops, so it is possible that I needed to do some minor tweaking or massaging to get a few sets to seat them evenly on different frames. But any modifications that would have been needed would have easily accomplished with a hand file I am sure.

I apologize for not remembering exactly what was needed in each particular case, but I am quite certain that any necessary tweaking is well within the abilities of the average C&V enthusiast.
Old 04-10-12, 11:09 AM

The Kodiak saga continues

I like the passion shown in this thread and the advice/comments helped me push through challenges to modify the cable stops I currently had to work around the Shimano shifter boss issue. My solution is not perfect nor is it permanent (assuming I keep and restore the bike fully). In the end, I believe my solution works but it's not quite as streamlined as the shot brian3069 posted below.

Check out the full disclosure on my blog posting.
Old 04-13-12, 10:37 PM
Arbiter of Awesome

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton (Best Bicycle ever made), 1983 Trek 620 (Pimpified), 1983 Trek 720, 1990 Heron Touring, 1981 Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks everybody.

In my case, I don't care about getting a functional result, it's going to be a fixed gear so I don't need a cable stop at all, its really just an aesthetic issue. Is there an easier solution for me since I don't need a functional cable stop?
Old 04-14-12, 09:04 AM
Fahrrad Mama

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'm rocking the concave/ long screw look, and I think it looks nice.

Old 04-14-12, 09:08 AM
Fahrrad Mama

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dzeccola
Great stuff. Thanks everybody.

In my case, I don't care about getting a functional result, it's going to be a fixed gear so I don't need a cable stop at all, its really just an aesthetic issue. Is there an easier solution for me since I don't need a functional cable stop?
I've seen people screw their bell into the stop. : ) Or how about those thread protector things- like on Schrader valves? I think you can get those in lots of colors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.