Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Has any body got one of these light?

The add says that it will out put 1000 LM

I like to hear any input on thses lights. I found one for $40.86 and was thing on getting it.
Attached Images

Last edited by CigTech; 04-03-12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-03-12, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you find it? That price beats what is on Amazon.
Old 04-03-12, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found it on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-HeadLi...3475655&sr=8-2

And went ahead and order it too. So I'll let you know how good it is.
Old 04-03-12, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Good luck with it. I have a CREE LED headlight (Dinotte XML-3) and I love it. It's brighter, yet smaller than my old lights. Lights sure have come a long way in the past 10 years or so.
Old 04-03-12, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808e...-4x18650-57100

I rolled the dice and ordered 4 for me and my bros to use night mountain biking. They're awesome, not as many features (that I don't use) or quite as nice a beam as the more expensive options, but really bright, reliable and with good runtime. Order an extension cable if you're going to run it on your head, the stock one is crazy short.

I wouldn't use the bright or blinking setting, and would tilt it down a bit, on MUP's after/close to dark. It's irritatingly bright when shined right at ya.

You'll have to order helmet mounts, or do like I did and make some out of aluminum tubing and velcro straps.

I paid about $75 each, they arrived quickly and stank like a Chinese plastic factory for a few days.
Old 04-03-12, 12:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CigTech

Well, I certainly put the wrong item on my wish list. Found it yesterday on another thread
https://www.amazon.com/Lumen-4-Mode-1...pr_product_top
Old 04-03-12, 04:00 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
That's one of the Magicshine clones. I've got the Magicshine they claim to have 1000 lumen output, and it's a great light.
Old 04-04-12, 05:17 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

According to the people that actually make the LED, its rated at "1000 lumens at 100 lumens per watt" if driven to 100%. Since that light claims 9 watts, that would be only 900 lumens even if driven to 100%, not 1,200 as claimed. Reality is probably closer to 600.

But performance claims are funny things. They get people to order things without any real guarantees or proof of performance. And shipping costs are usually so close to the item cost that most people won't return them.

Last edited by Burton; 04-04-12 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
They are quoting the specs of the LED. It takes a certain voltage and current to obtain that light output. There's also a drop in light output from the lens on a light. About 10% IIRC. Then there is beam pattern. If you have a very, very narrow beam, you can light up a penny from a mile away! But that's not useful. The other extreme is the light is spread out over a very large angle. That's not useful because you want more of the light to be focused where you are going. Want to talk about the reflectors in the flashlight? If you read specs on the multi hundred dollar bike lights, they will provide more stats that better indicate what you are buying. And the light will have been engineered to be a useful cycling product. This, in addition to a warranty, contribute to the higher cost of these lights.
Old 04-04-12, 10:42 PM

Bikes: Too many to list here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the light listed is a knock off of magic shine. Not saying that its not going to be good, but at least magic shine has a decent reputation for an inexpensive light. Im interested to see how this light is. IMO i would have just spent the extra $25 and got a magic shine for many reasons including easier to find replacement/backup batteries, and other accessories such as extension cable or Y connector. Yes cree LED's are of good quality usually and are known for being excellent and inexpensive, yet like the post above me, it is all about the quality of the reflectors under the lens that determine how well the lumen output is dispersed
Old 04-05-12, 08:04 AM

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
I own a similar light

Has any body got one of these light?

The add says that it will out put 1000 LM

I like to hear any input on thses lights. I found one for $40.86 and was thing on getting it.

I also bought through Amazon - felt safer than ordering through a unknown Chinese website. The light I bought claims a 1300 lumen output. While probably not 1300 lumens it's crazy bright on a full battery. The light does dim slightly as the battery discharges and it will discharge even while off if you leave the battery plugged into the light. The light itself works fantastic and has a good bright beam - not too wide, but not a spot either. The charger works well too. It has around a 3 hour run time on high.

I've owned it through December and am very pleased with it's performance and value. If they skimped anywhere, it may be on the battery. No problems yet though!
Old 04-05-12, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by cjewett65
...easier to find replacement/backup batteries, and other accessories such as extension cable or Y connector...
For anyone considering these lights, Deal Extreme has all the parts and accessories you will need. Cheap and quick in my experience as well. If it's like my light, and the packaging is to be believed, it IS the MagicShine light.