Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic/Vintage rides:

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Classic/Vintage rides:

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-05, 07:50 AM
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And finally my everyday bike.

It's a 1983 custom built 531c Audax/fast tourer frame (I had it made to measure for me), and over the last 22 years I've ridden it most days. It's been my faithfull companion in tours in Europe and Scotland, and my commuting steed for the last 10 years or so.

It's on it's 4th or 5th chainset and I've fiddled with gearing over the past 10 years or so. I had it beadblasted and re-powdercoated about 6 years ago but it's probably done 30000 plus miles since then.At that time I had the rear triangle widened to take a 130mm hub, and got braze ons for cantilevers fitted.

Currently it runs Campag Veloce 9speed ergo levers matched to a Campag centaur front mech, a veloce rear on an 8speed Sh*mano cassette. Current gearing is a 44-38-28 Stronglight chainset with an 8 speed 13-26 cassette.

Unbranded seatpost, Brooks B17, Kalloy stem (original Cinelli one snapped after 18 years!), GB Randonneur bars, double wrapped. Sh*mano canti's with aztec brake carriers.

SKS Chromoplastic guards(fenders). The Blackburn rear rack was bought new in 1983 and is still going strong.

Those are my winter wheels (Scottish winters are hard on a bike)as I wore out my good rims in 8000 miles.

My summer wheels are Hope hubs, straight gauge SS spokes onto Mavic A519 rims. I usually use Conti Top touring 2000 tyres but the front is a Conti Contact.

On my annual mileage of 5-6000 miles (all seasons) I use two rear tyres, one front, One cassette and chain and every couple of years a new chainring.

In winter I go through brake pads once every 4- 6 weeks.

Set up with a Minaura space bar, Smart flasher, Lumicycle 12w/20w NiMH Halogens and at the rear Cateye AU100 and LD600 with another couple of blinkies for good order.

Double sided spds.

The Cateye computer is a CC 100 and resets to zero every 10000 miles.

After Cinelli, getting onto this is like getting into an armchair!. Very comfy and I know I can rely on it to get me across France or the Netherlands.

I reckon I've done the best part of 75-80000 miles on this frame, so I am very attached to it.

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 09-24-05, 09:58 PM

Bikes: 2006 Orbea Volata, 84 Trek 760, 83 Trek 720,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, here's my Vintage Ride, a 1978 Nishiki "Competition" with what I call all Japanese equipment. Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Suntour shifters, Dia Compe 500G brakes and levers, Sunshine "100" stem, Fujita Professional Saddle on a SR Laprade post. Sugino "Super Mighty" Crank with drilled 53/43 rings (Thanks CR member David G. White!) Kyokoto Top-Run pedals and clips, Suntour "ProCompe" 5-speed freewheel (13-24). The only thing that I couldn't find was the rims. Instead, I used my vintage Shimano "Dura Ace" hubs laced to 700cc Super Champion "Gentleman" rims (Thanks George, owner of Slough's) with Vredenstein Fortezza Road tires. It may not be a "Masi" or a "Colnago" but I love the way this thing rides. Here are the pics:
Old 09-24-05, 10:22 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Very nice MHendricks. How's your wife's bike coming along?
Old 09-24-05, 11:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Very nice MHendricks. How's your wife's bike coming along?
Thanks for the compliments! Rode it today and I couldn't hear a sound. Smooth as butter. My wife rode this today and she loved it. She thanks you for the shifters. Here's her vintage ride. 70'S Peugeot Mixte with all original parts:
Old 09-25-05, 12:54 AM
Señor Member

I know the pictures don't show all, but both those bikes look practically new. Beautiful. Soon you'll be needing a tandem.
Old 09-25-05, 01:47 AM
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mhendricks
Well, here's my Vintage Ride, a 1978 Nishiki "Competition" with what I call all Japanese equipment. Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Suntour shifters, Dia Compe 500G brakes and levers, Sunshine "100" stem, Fujita Professional Saddle on a SR Laprade post. Sugino "Super Mighty" Crank with drilled 53/43 rings (Thanks CR member David G. White!) Kyokoto Top-Run pedals and clips, Suntour "ProCompe" 5-speed freewheel (13-24). The only thing that I couldn't find was the rims. Instead, I used my vintage Shimano "Dura Ace" hubs laced to 700cc Super Champion "Gentleman" rims (Thanks George, owner of Slough's) with Vredenstein Fortezza Road tires. It may not be a "Masi" or a "Colnago" but I love the way this thing rides. Here are the pics:

I love the drilled chainset.

Did you make the flint catcher on the rear tyre or can they be bought?

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 09-25-05, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
Here is my Carlton Pro that I have since 1974ish. It is original and unrefinished - my dad bought it for me but did not realize that bikes came in different sizes! As a result it is 3cm too big for me but I ride it anyway. The parts are a mixture of things Campy hubs, shifters, pedals (although shown here with Lambert pedals), Super Champion rims, Sugino Mighty Comp crank, Suntour SL front dr and Zeus Crit rear dr. Weinmann brakes, Cinelli stem with Giro D'Italia bars. Brooks Pro saddle. The bike was bought in Sheffield UK and I think had been stripped by the shop of most of the Campy stuff hence the mixture. - Pog.
Old 09-25-05, 09:41 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chewa
Chewa,
Here in the states we called them Tire Savers. I've seen them on
e-bay occaisionally, and I think Vintage Velos still has some in stock.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-25-05, 03:36 PM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by chewa
I use a set on one of my bicycles. The technology on them is so advanced that a clumsy 3rd grader would have no trouble making a set for themselves - provided they have the right material to start with.
Old 09-25-05, 03:37 PM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
Here is my Carlton Pro that I have since 1974ish. ...
...and for some reason your screen name is Pogliaghi?? That's a marvelous bicycle..
Old 09-25-05, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
...and for some reason your screen name is Pogliaghi?? That's a marvelous bicycle..
Thanks Zorro - Well I like Italian bikes (and have a Pog) more than Brit bikes (hate to say it) although I would love a Ron Cooper, Flying Scot, Condor etc. I just love beautifully built steel!

Pog.
Old 09-26-05, 12:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know the pictures don't show all, but both those bikes look practically new. Beautiful. Soon you'll be needing a tandem.
Yes I worked on them meticously. And guess what? We do own a tandem.
Old 09-26-05, 12:44 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lotek
Chewa,
Here in the states we called them Tire Savers. I've seen them on
e-bay occaisionally, and I think Vintage Velos still has some in stock.

Marty
Chewa,
Here's where I bought the tire savers.

https://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cg...d=925814122269
Old 09-26-05, 12:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
Here is my Carlton Pro that I have since 1974ish. It is original and unrefinished - my dad bought it for me but did not realize that bikes came in different sizes! As a result it is 3cm too big for me but I ride it anyway. The parts are a mixture of things Campy hubs, shifters, pedals (although shown here with Lambert pedals), Super Champion rims, Sugino Mighty Comp crank, Suntour SL front dr and Zeus Crit rear dr. Weinmann brakes, Cinelli stem with Giro D'Italia bars. Brooks Pro saddle. The bike was bought in Sheffield UK and I think had been stripped by the shop of most of the Campy stuff hence the mixture. - Pog.
All I can say, "Sweet Bike"
Old 09-28-05, 03:03 PM
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apmech
Thanks... I had to build it back up with components that I've alaway wanted. ie camagnolo and mavic, rather than shimano.. It's a great ride!
i bet it is lol.kinda like me , i didnt have the money as a kid so im buying up the bikes i wanted then .man is it expensive to buy back my toys that i wanted lol.i still have my first frame so i know what u mean .....don
Old 09-29-05, 03:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my Pride and Joy. It is a 1982-83 Panasonic DX2000. I purchased it in very good original condition for $20 from an estate sale.

I added the Selle Italia seat and Kalloy post, Armadillo tires, pedals, bottle cage, specialized speedo, gum rubber brake hoods and handlebar wraps. The 10 speed Suntour chainings and the Dia Compe brakes are all original! The frame pack is from JandD and the seat pack is a micro Topeak from a local dealer.

I ordered most of the items from AirBomb.com and picked up the tires from Assenmachers in Flint Mi. (my home town)

My local dealer told me that the multi color rings on the frame indicate that this model was ridden to a world championship. It also says world champion on the handlebars. If anyone knows which race and what rider I would love to hear back from you.

thanks for letting me share this with everyone.

kim

Last edited by moonie; 09-29-05 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 05:52 PM
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The World Champ stripes are used by a company if the company had a bike win the worlds. Not that particular bike.
Old 09-29-05, 08:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, that's cool too! from what I have been able to find, Panasonic was only in the bike business for a few years. I guess the Original chairman of the company grew up above a bicycle shop in Japan and after he retired decided to pursue his dream of building bicycles.

Apparently after he died they decided to stop. Still would be interesting to find out which model and race it was.

thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-05, 08:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well now it's my ex-vintage ride. Was forced off the road today and into a ditch during a charity ride (Helmet Cracked) and fork and frame are history. Fork bent and frame buckled in two places at head tube. So I'm looking for a vintage Nishiki Pro or a Fuji Pro in the 60cm size. If you have a complete bike, let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-01-05, 11:10 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well damn, Mike -- now I'm glad I procrastinated about starting the Nishiki decals.

Seriously; glad you're alright. I've still got that '71 Super Sport; I don't suppose you'd be interested in that, would you?
Old 10-02-05, 09:56 AM
Señor Member

Well now it's my ex-vintage ride. Was forced off the road today and into a ditch during a charity ride (Helmet Cracked) and fork and frame are history. Fork bent and frame buckled in two places at head tube. So I'm looking for a vintage Nishiki Pro or a Fuji Pro in the 60cm size. If you have a complete bike, let me know. Thanks.
Mike, That really stinks. On a charity ride no less. Hope you're not injured. I'll keep my eyes open here, but I suspect mswantak and bossman and you will beat me to finding one.
Old 10-02-05, 12:05 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Too bad I just dumped that '40 Spitfire; that would have been just the ticket for Mike's next century --

-- it'd take him a century to complete one!

-- and it's no wonder; half the sprocket teeth are missing!
Old 10-02-05, 12:07 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mike, That really stinks. On a charity ride no less. Hope you're not injured. I'll keep my eyes open here, but I suspect mswantak and bossman and you will beat me to finding one.
Thanks Zorro and Mswantak. I'm banged up pretty good (Nose, shoulder, arm, knee, hand) but nothing broken. My wife said I was in "Shock Mode" for awhile. Even if I had another bike right now, probably couldn't hold the bars. Keep an eye out and if nothing shows up, maybe I'll find one at Veloswap here in S.F. late in October. Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Mhendricks; 10-02-05 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Custom 1955 Schwinn Jaguar 5spd. Dura Ace crank, Campy brake levers and shifters, orig rear rack, frame, seatpost bolt.
Old 10-02-05, 08:24 PM

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikesnotbombs
heres my bike, its a blue schwinn suburban, im not sure about the year, does any one know?
I can't see the details on the bike that well, but I have a '74 Schwinn Suburban that is also that opaque blue color. In 1974, the Suburbans had black graphics on them, and this was the only year that Schwinn put black graphics with opaque blue paint on their Suburbans. Also, another unique feature of some of the '74 Suburbans is the thumb shifter versus the single stem shifter in the 5 speed shifters. Apparently, as I've been told, the thumb shifters disappeared on the Suburban after this year. Check out the Schwinn site under "heritage," and do a search for "Schwinn Suburban," for more info. Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.