Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Riser Bars and Bar Ends???

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start by stating that I have never used a riser bar. I have however, used bar-ends since they first came out. That's right, the very first ONZA ends, that were like the expander bolt in the old style stem. Anyway, I just built up a new K2 Lithium, and have been thinking of trying out a set of risers. I notice though, that it seems that when a bike has risers, there are no bar ends. Why not? Am I missing something here?
Old 08-19-04, 10:46 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Bar ends on risers will get you the geek label.
Old 08-19-04, 11:24 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't trust the odd leverage loads the bar ends will create on the riser's bends. Plus it looks DORKY. I mean DORKY as in ride the short bus, wear plaid polyester pants, and pick your nose DORKY.
The riser bars will make you forget all about the bar ends.
Old 08-19-04, 11:41 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
I don't trust the odd leverage loads the bar ends will create on the riser's bends. Plus it looks DORKY. I mean DORKY as in ride the short bus, wear plaid polyester pants, and pick your nose DORKY.
The riser bars will make you forget all about the bar ends.
I agree that it looks uber-dorky but for some reason I'm not seeing how riser bars will give you the extra hand positions and ability to stretch out the way bar-ends can.
Old 08-19-04, 11:50 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
I agree that it looks uber-dorky but for some reason I'm not seeing how riser bars will give you the extra hand positions and ability to stretch out the way bar-ends can.
The leverage that I've gotten out of the change of position (even for climbing) has eliminated any use I ever had for barends, but that's me.
Old 08-20-04, 12:18 AM
The Man.

Bikes: Haro Extreme X3 with Hayes Mags and Evil DRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
All who use the word uber should die.

^^^People who saw uber^^^
Old 08-20-04, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I guess I am no different than the rest of you then. In fact, the biggest reason that I have never used riser bars is that I have always thought that they plain out looked dorky. What is the real advantage of them then? I know the advantage of bar ends...my current set give me at least 3 different hand positions that seem to offset some of the discomfort of being in the saddle on those epic 4-6 hour rides.
Old 08-21-04, 02:59 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by no3puttchad
Well, I guess I am no different than the rest of you then. In fact, the biggest reason that I have never used riser bars is that I have always thought that they plain out looked dorky. What is the real advantage of them then?
Because they are not what everyone used 5 years ago. Pure poser fashion. Bar ends reduce hand numbness and help on climbs, as well as provide leverage for tricky turns and let you run a narrower bar.
I use these Serfas: light small cheap and ergonomic -all bad for posing. If someone made them for $300 out of carbon fibre and titanium, they would be insta-cool.

Old 08-21-04, 03:04 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Riser bars allow for more cockpit control. People sometimes say leverage too but I don't know for sure nor care enough. I just know flat bars suck and tend to hurt my wrists (just like I can't arm curl with a straight bar and only bent bars. Bar ends are perfect for hook into trees and getting in the way. I like riser bars and find old schoolers who try to diss them pretty funny. It allows for me to change the sweep and angle of the front of my cockpit. I don't think it is meant to add more hand positions.

It also allows for more lengthening and shortening of the cockpit without needing a 100mm stem, allowing dhillers and freeriders to use a more compact stem which DEFINATELY gives more control over the front end at the speeds for dhilling.
Old 08-21-04, 03:27 PM
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Risers are da bomb!
Old 08-21-04, 03:34 PM
DEADBEEF

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've said it before but I'll say it again. Technically speaking, there is no reason a riser bar and a straight bar can't accomplish the same exact function... locating your hand position in a certain spacial relationship to the rest of your body. All that's required is proper sizing and stem. Now I know some people will say, "well that requires a longer stem with more rise." True but from a strength standpoint, you still have to decide where you place the knife. From an engineering consideration, you can go with the weaker design of a riser bar (relative to a straight bar of the same material) and a shorter more stout stem or you can go with a stronger straight bar and a longer possibly weaker stem. There are of course other ways to design around this problem too including taller head tube positioning.
Old 08-21-04, 04:07 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is a flat bar signifigantly stronger than a riser? Or were you talking in theoreticals?
Old 08-21-04, 04:21 PM
DEADBEEF

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Is a flat bar signifigantly stronger than a riser? Or were you talking in theoreticals?
It's an engineering point of view. In reality, most people overbuild their riser bars and slim down their straight bars. The respective strengths (assuming they're intended for the same application space) is on par with one another. That's merely a marketing decision. My point is that from an engineering standpoint, there is no reason one could not be substituted for the other. The marketing forces at the time caused the advent of riser bars to solve position problems. When they started becoming popular (mainly due to image, IMHO) this caused a shift towards more riser bar designs and availability and the straight bar popularity began to drop. In a perfect world, there would be bars of all shapes and sizes coupled with stems of all shapes and sizes and one combination could be equally substituted for another. But that's simply a world only concerned with function. We live in a world governed by what sells and what people perceive as "correct".
Old 08-21-04, 04:32 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ahh I understand now. Thank you ...

I love the comfort of a riser and never found a flat bar I liked. But I do know people who love flats and have had to settle for short rise. Kind of sucks for them.

Cheers

PS I do think risers look better too
Old 08-23-04, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride bmx a few years back and I had a set of Powerlite bars on my bike. I mention them because they had a certain bend half way through the grips length,(called by Powerlite, a "powerbend" or something?) that bent forward about an inch maybe? They were the best bars I had, very comfortable, even for long periods of time. Are there any places out there that have this type of short riser (1"-2") with a bend similar? Anyone here know what I'm talking about?
Old 08-23-04, 03:26 PM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
I mean DORKY as in ride the short bus, wear plaid polyester pants, and pick your nose DORKY.
Why the hate? I bet you pick your nose.

Drop bars will give you even more hand positions than bar ends...have you considered that option?
Old 08-23-04, 03:29 PM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
Anyone here know what I'm talking about?
Yes, although it was more than a *few* years back (circa 1986). Those Powerlite bars were awesome, and I loved them. They probably haven't caught on in MTB because everyone likes to cut their bars down to decrease leverage.
Old 08-23-04, 04:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gastrocnemius
Yes, although it was more than a *few* years back (circa 1986). Those Powerlite bars were awesome, and I loved them. They probably haven't caught on in MTB because everyone likes to cut their bars down to decrease leverage.
I had a new set of those sometime around 95' or 96'. Maybe I could find a set of the old cruiser bars someplace, not sure how well they'd fit a mountian bike though..
Old 08-24-04, 12:36 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why the hate? I bet you pick your nose.
Not while riding the short bus wearing polyester pants I don't
Old 08-24-04, 08:33 AM
Some guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm really not clear on why you have such a problem with the bar ends on risers. I mean, I don't even notice it one way or another when I see them on another bike. Is this some sort of esoteric bike-weenie thing?
Old 08-24-04, 09:07 AM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hardly esoteric...more like utilitarian. Judging solely by the relative percentage of pros running bar ends, they're apparently not really necessary.

Factor that in with their additional weight and their propensity to hook on trees...well, it's the old luxury vs. speed equation.

Eschewing valve caps for the extra weight and time required to change a flat...now that's esoteric.
Old 08-24-04, 09:12 AM
DEADBEEF

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hardly esoteric...more like utilitarian. Judging solely by the relative percentage of pros running bar ends, they're apparently not really necessary.
It depends on what you're doing. If you ride eight to ten hour epic XC rides then you're probably going to want more hand positions and bar-ends are a good way to get them.
Old 08-24-04, 09:58 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only comment is that riser bars generally have more of a sweep(backward curve) to them than flat bars. Also, risers tend to be wider.

I prefer risers for both those reasons. I'm a big guy, and the wider bars give me a bit more "openess" and the sweep keeps my hands in a more ergonomic position. With flat bars I always felt cramped and my wrists were kept in a funny angle.

Kinda like the difference between a standard keyboard and a ergo keyboard for your computer.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 08-25-04, 06:59 AM
Some guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
their propensity to hook on trees...
I actually find the opposite to be true. When I'm in tight with some trees, I have often found the bar ends to be useful for guiding my bars around the tree rather than having the tree smack into my brake lever/hand. It may not be good form, but I sometimes use them as a sort of hand guard.

The other thing is that, occasionally, I have to take my bike on a semi-lengthy road ride through town (hey, it beats taking the bus). Raiyn's fanatical misgivings notwithstanding, the bar ends on my risers (which actually don't rise very much at all) are a great help is such cases.
Old 08-25-04, 09:10 AM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The very first response in this thread:

Originally Posted by KonaRider24
Bar ends on risers will get you the geek label.
This pretty much sums it up. I personally couldn't care less whether you're running ape hangers with tassels, a bell, and a banana seat, and you shouldn't either. Go with whatever works for you and your riding style. Just be prepared for sideways glances from some people, and don't say you haven't been warned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.