Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Traffic cop tells me to get off the rode

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-05, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was getting off the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side (I know, the BB, my first mistake...). After getting off the bike path I position myself in the street in the left turn lane so that I can make a left onto Tillary. The light is red at this point, so I'm just waiting. For anyone who doesn't know, this is a very busy intersection and during rush hour there are traffic cops who direct traffic, sometimes contradictory to the lights. Anyway, light still red, the traffic cop yells at me to move over. I comply. He then signals to the car behind me to make a left turn. EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO DO. I then had to take the crosswalk instead, which is a major inconvenience since the traffic is really bad and the lights take a long time to change.

I really considered going over to the cop and getting his badge number, but it wasn't worth it. Especially considering absolutely nothing would have been done had I reported him.
Old 05-05-05, 10:05 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would have followed the car through.
Old 05-05-05, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Same here. I would follow the car and if the cop pursued the issue, I would have asked him to pull out his code book and consult it to determine if bikes are accepted on the street with traffic. Once he did, I would tell him that he really did put your life at risk by indicating to the cars that you don't deserve to be there.

Then get his name and follow through with his precinct. Perhaps he needs more training.

Koffee

Old 05-05-05, 10:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Following the car wasn't exactly an option, because there was a long line of cars behind that one, all of which proceed to speed through the intersection. I would have had to wait for another red light, and decided to just do an "L" through the crosswalks.
Old 05-05-05, 10:53 PM
militant commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was there today Yosh, it does move once cars get the green or permission to go. Why not ignore the cop? Or argue with the cop without giving up your lane, it was a traffic cop right, one with out a gun? I would guess their grasp of traffic law is slightly worse than your regular NYPD cop, who doesn't seem to understand traffic law and bikes at at all. Stand your ground and do as Koffee said. That whole permission/forgiveness thing you know? Then again I wasn't there.

An aside. Have all you BB riders noticed the dismount signs on the Bklyn side of the bridge there? Apparently they will ticket bikers there once in a while. The signs are small and overhead, where you are not looking, check them out next time.
Old 05-06-05, 02:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycm'er
I was there today Yosh, it does move once cars get the green or permission to go. Why not ignore the cop? Or argue with the cop without giving up your lane, it was a traffic cop right, one with out a gun? I would guess their grasp of traffic law is slightly worse than your regular NYPD cop, who doesn't seem to understand traffic law and bikes at at all. Stand your ground and do as Koffee said. That whole permission/forgiveness thing you know? Then again I wasn't there.

An aside. Have all you BB riders noticed the dismount signs on the Bklyn side of the bridge there? Apparently they will ticket bikers there once in a while. The signs are small and overhead, where you are not looking, check them out next time.
The light was red so when the cop told me to move, I wasn't sure why and figured complying was the best idea. Had I known he was going to signal for the cars to move (against the red) I would have just made the turn. Next time...

And I only noticed those signs after someone mentioned it to me. I usually ignore them, but I have heard of people getting ticketed.
Old 05-06-05, 03:04 AM
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
I would have followed the car through.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Why not go through just ahead of one, just barely to the outside?
Old 05-06-05, 07:34 AM
militant commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is BKLYN NY baby!, cars are extra entitled here, and they fly and don't care who is threatened. All common sense or decency is leached out of MOST of these people once they get behind the wheel. If you are being waved through a red, then floor it or you might have to wait for 20 more seconds. I will be passing through that interesection in a few hours, and it is one of the few that I have to stop for and wait. If the drivers could get it together that because there are so many other single occupant vehicles just like them, there is sooo much traffic, and anger and pollution and noise and......
Old 05-06-05, 09:25 AM
1.9lb/in

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a CM faction organised and run him over with like 40 bikes.
Old 05-06-05, 09:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adams Street is a complete f'ng joke. the inbound bike lane is alway, I mean ALWAYS blocked with parked cars (including marked police cars!) and the outbound is so badly paved that it's MORE dangerous than the main roadway. 9/10 times I'll ride the main road where I only have to deal with angry drivers, rather than the service road, where it's angry drivers, double parked cars, slow-cruising livery cars and clueless pedestrians wandering into the roadway. RRRR! I prefer Flatbush & the Manhattan Bridge!