Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dynamos

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dynamos

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-17, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
But you certainly don't need to acquire your own 3D printer, nor is one you acquire likely to be great for this purpose. Lately every UPS Store I go into has one, and prints from Shapeways and Sculpteo etc are very reasonable. Nonetheless, if I end up with something shareable, I'd be happy to do so
I don't NEED another bike gizmo or bike but an excuse is an excuse no matter how lame it is. The problem I have is though I've been using 3D modeling software for close to 30 years I'm quite new to 3d printing and am a tweaker by nature. Printing via Shapeways could end up costing more than a cheapo DIY 3D printer. I'll have to look for a local UPS store with one.
Old 09-03-17, 07:01 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Solar charger. Cheap, light, small, widely available.

Or for anyone who wants to let their inner geek out to run wild, there's the AeroCharge.
Oh man that AeroCharge is definitely pushing the geek envelope but off the cuff I'd have to say it's nowhere near as efficient as a dynamo. As an aside I used a GoalZero Guide 10 Solar charger for a summer and it worked quite well but mounting it was a PITA. Considering I paid around $110 for it it was around 30% of the cost of a self built dynamo wheel with a Sinewave revolution charger and I'd say it was about 30% as effective as my dynamo with Forumslader. After two seasons running a dynamo I can say that until something more efficient comes along I'll always have a dynamo wheel for my bike. I rarely finish a 1hr or longer ride with less than a full charge on my iphone 7 and Forumslader battery pack and I ride with my screen on and either Cyclemeter on screen or the Forumslader app, both always run in the background, though as long as the Forumslader is connected to the dynamo it records trip information whether a phone is connected or not with ride information being sent to the phone as soon as it connects to the Forumslader.
Old 09-09-17, 08:33 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
I have two SP hubs and a Shimano. The Shimano seems to have a bit more drag when I spin the wheel by hand and watch to see how fast it takes to slow down. But riding them I can not feel any difference.

I am not sure if the Shimano has user replaceable bearings or not, if it does that would be one advantage for the Shimano. SP does not have bearings that you or a local bike shop can work on. There are a few you tube videos on Shimano hub bearings, but I have not tried it myself.

I had the two SP hubs before I got a good price on a used Shimano. I found that one of the leads on the Shimano is grounded to the frame, that is not the case for the SP. That caused a lot of consternation while wiring it until I figured out what the problem was.

Taillight, I prefer battery. The wired taillights don't flash and I want the ability to use constant on or to flash. Also, if I am charging stuff, that usually means your lights are turned off. But I want to be able to charge stuff in the daytime while also using a flashing taillight for more visibility. Thus, wired taillight would not make much sense for me. But I use hub powered headlamps.

I am sold on hub units, I would not consider any other.
Old 09-09-17, 09:45 AM

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadowx
I am going to HAVE to get a battery pack pronto. Did a 34 mile ride today started at 98% was down to 10% by the time I got home, thats no good.
Or you could, you know, pull yourself away from your phone for a day and be an active participant in the real world.
Old 09-09-17, 10:18 AM

Bikes: Marin Larkspur CS2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timequake
Or you could, you know, pull yourself away from your phone for a day and be an active participant in the real world.
I'm guessing you misunderstand, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. I am still learning the back roads around my house and am taking a LOT of routes I am not familiar with. I'm using GPS on my phone because the routes have lots of turns, not getting lost and being a able to get back is kinda important. It kills the battery to have maps up all the time. No need for the attitude.
Old 09-09-17, 10:21 AM

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing you misunderstand, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. I am still learning the back roads around my house and am taking a LOT of routes I am not familiar with. I'm using GPS on my phone because the routes have lots of turns, not getting lost and being a able to get back is kinda important. It kills the battery to have maps up all the time. No need for the attitude.
In that case, turn off the phone and look at your surroundings. That way you'll actually improve your navigation skills rather than just turning when a robot tells you to.
Old 09-09-17, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A word of warning, not all phones will charge directly from a dyno connected USB. Starting and stopping can also lower the efficiency as the phone wakes up each time. Tablets are more picky. Battery lights usually will not turn on while charging. A USB battery will often charge off of anything. I don't know if bicycle GPS will charge and run at the same time, but I recall reading one complaint.

Solar sounds like a good option for this application, maybe on top of the handlebar bag. A dyno is wonderful for frequent and always ready applications like commuting and randonneuring, but pretty pricy. Other dyno's are easier retrofit, but usually loose out in efficiency, though still not so noticeable with today's low power needs.
Old 09-09-17, 01:58 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Timequake
That's a bit of a cheap shot... He's obviously being an active participant... There are many reasons to carry a cell phone while riding. I lost a relative while traveling and it took 13 hours to get in touch with me so we could decide as a family whether or not to pull the plug, I have carried a cell phone from that week on. My wife ran a residency program for 18 years and when not on vacation always had to be reachable by her chief resident. At this point I'll always at least have a wheel with a dynamo on it for my primary bike. In any event OP I use a Dynamo coupled with a Forumslader to charge an Iphone 7 and haven't had to worry about charging my phone since. Also, when I commute daily I don't need to plug into the wall socket at all.
Old 09-09-17, 02:09 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Young Techno-files has made people who use Maps, Pariahs and Luddites, but they are not battery dependent.

And Topographic maps show the slope of the hills..
Old 09-09-17, 02:17 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Young Techno-files has made people who use Maps, Pariahs and Luddites, but they are not battery dependent.

And Topographic maps show the slope of the hills..
And you youngins who use maps have made people who navigate by the sun and the stars, pariahs and luddites, but they don't have to worry about their paper maps getting wet...
Old 09-09-17, 02:29 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Vikings used a 'Sun stone" and have even been able to navigate at sea, on cloudy days,
before the discovery of the Earth's magnetic poles and the compass..
Old 09-09-17, 02:59 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My mom refuses to use a GPS and spends an inordinate amount of time studying her atlas before she goes anywhere. I plug the address in to a GPS do a quickie once over on Google maps and roll. I always get to where I need to go with the GPS though it may not have always been the best route. OTOH, I don't know of any engineers that use an old reliable slide rule over a calculator that has batteries that might die when they need their calculator the most...
Old 09-09-17, 04:10 PM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by edthesped
My mom refuses to use a GPS and spends an inordinate amount of time studying her atlas before she goes anywhere. I plug the address in to a GPS do a quickie once over on Google maps and roll. I always get to where I need to go with the GPS though it may not have always been the best route. OTOH, I don't know of any engineers that use an old reliable slide rule over a calculator that has batteries that might die when they need their calculator the most...
hey i did a paper on slide rules a few years back. i picked up a couple of them a garage sales and it was a gas using them. what that has to do with anything i dont know....
Old 09-09-17, 09:22 PM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
hey i did a paper on slide rules a few years back. i picked up a couple of them a garage sales and it was a gas using them. what that has to do with anything i dont know....
My watch has a circular slide rule, but the print is so small I can't use it without a magnifying glass. No, I do not try to use it while riding a bike.
Old 09-10-17, 08:03 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
My watch has a circular slide rule, but the print is so small I can't use it without a magnifying glass. No, I do not try to use it while riding a bike.
i will say since i have hub dynamos on all my wheels i have never had a slide rule quit working. truthfully i use the dynamos for lights only. they are always on as i ride almost everywhere and at least once a week at night. cant imagine being without them now.
Old 09-10-17, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
My mom refuses to use a GPS and spends an inordinate amount of time studying her atlas before she goes anywhere...
That was awesome. It's even funnier when you're old enough to remember when it was true.

I don't have a dynamo but do have a solar panel and did a 2 week tour this summer completely off the grid. Depends on the locale and season though. I did another 3 week tour with it and only had 3 days of sun.

For a short tour I just use a storage battery. Longer tour near civilization storage battery and charger. Off the grid battery and solar panel but I wouldn't sneeze at a hub dyno either.
Old 09-10-17, 04:02 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
I am still learning the back roads around my house and am taking a LOT of routes I am not familiar with. I'm using GPS on my phone because the routes have lots of turns, not getting lost and being a able to get back is kinda important.
That's cool; like Brother Dave Garner said, everybody's got their own kick goin'. No attitude here, but you might be interested in this.
Old 09-10-17, 04:05 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I have one laying around somewhere, learning to use it has been on my to do list for years, maybe someday. Unfortunately my inner luddite recently reared its ugly head. I primarily used HP38 and 48 calculators my entire career and my trusty 48GX gave out on me a few months ago, I tried the prime couldn't adjust to it and ended up finding a "like new" actually was new 48G+ in beat up packaging from Amazon for $150, I was excited and surpised as they were discontinued in 2003. The 48GX's are like freaking gold on Ebay so I guess I'm not alone.

I have to say I was skeptical of Dynamos a couple of seasons ago but it took less than a month of riding with one for me to appreciate their value. I build my own wheels so for me the price of a dynamo wheel is $50 more than a mid range front hub wheel. Electronics to charge a phone will add $100 to $200 more to the setup and owning a Sinewave Revolution and Forumslader recommend the Forumslader. Do people need electronics while touring, no, but there's a lot of conveniences people can live without but tote along with them because it makes their trip more enjoyable.
Old 09-10-17, 04:33 PM
ambulatory senior

I have one laying around somewhere, learning to use it has been on my to do list for years, maybe someday. Unfortunately my inner luddite recently reared its ugly head. I primarily used HP38 and 48 calculators my entire career and my trusty 48GX gave out on me a few months ago, I tried the prime couldn't adjust to it and ended up finding a "like new" actually was new 48G+ in beat up packaging from Amazon for $150, I was excited and surpised as they were discontinued in 2003. The 48GX's are like freaking gold on Ebay so I guess I'm not alone.

I have to say I was skeptical of Dynamos a couple of seasons ago but it took less than a month of riding with one for me to appreciate their value. I build my own wheels so for me the price of a dynamo wheel is $50 more than a mid range front hub wheel. Electronics to charge a phone will add $100 to $200 more to the setup and owning a Sinewave Revolution and Forumslader recommend the Forumslader. Do people need electronics while touring, no, but there's a lot of conveniences people can live without but tote along with them because it makes their trip more enjoyable.
yeah i wont build a front wheel without a dynamo now. i dont feel the drag anymore and i love riding anytime day or night. we have a once a month night ride where i live and its a real big deal for a lot of the riders to ride at night. my gf and i go sometimes but its just so we can hang out with other bikers. night riding is now routine and to my mind that's a good thing.
Old 09-10-17, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Marin Larkspur CS2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
That's cool; like Brother Dave Garner said, everybody's got their own kick goin'. No attitude here, but you might be interested in this.
Good article. I generally try to run map free, but I am taking a lot of new routes and want to make sure I get where i am going and get home. after a ride or 2 I find myself using the maps a lot less.