Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back Riding After Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-05, 07:12 PM

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a small gloat. I got back on the bike for an easy 13 mile ride yesterday. That's 9 days post surgery. No big deal - no pain, no uncomfortable feelings, just the insecurity of not being sure I could do it. Did it again today.

Four days after surgery, at my first visit to the physical therapist, he took a look at my incisions, looked at my range of motion, then said, "alright, let's do 10 minutes on the bike". Every visit since then, I did 15 minutes on the exercise bike. So if I can do time on an exercise bike that soon after surgery, this is just like the therapy I'm paying for. Biking is about the best thing you can do for yourself.

As I say, just a small gloat....

BobL
Old 09-25-05, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That's great. They think I have a torn meniscus, and I'm hoping it can be fixed so I can ride and work.
Old 09-25-05, 09:41 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobL
Four days after surgery, at my first visit to the physical therapist, he took a look at my incisions, looked at my range of motion, then said, "alright, let's do 10 minutes on the bike". Every visit since then, I did 15 minutes on the exercise bike. So if I can do time on an exercise bike that soon after surgery, this is just like the therapy I'm paying for. Biking is about the best thing you can do for yourself. BobL
Amen to that, Bob. Congrats on your successful surgery!

Steve
Old 09-26-05, 05:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
That's great. They think I have a torn meniscus, and I'm hoping it can be fixed so I can ride and work.
That was my initial diagnosis, but then the MRI didn't confirm it. Turned out to be a flap of cartilage broken off the back of my patella, about 15mm on a side.

I guess the "Your Mileage May Vary" stuff applies here, but the surgeon told me to discontinue therapy and start riding as much as I fee like, still well short of 2 weeks after surgery.

Woohoo!

BobL
Old 09-27-05, 08:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bob and congratulations!
I totally agree that biking is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I am back to biking after having hip surgery and it's a great feeling. At PT I was riding a recumbent exercise bike starting at 10min. and worked myself up to 30 minutes. My doctor was impressed and told me to continue riding to get the muscles in my hip and knee back into shape. I took him on his word when I left therapy and bought myself a new recumbent trike. Haven't been home much since. LOL
Old 09-27-05, 08:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool!

Was that a hip replacement? Come to think of it, that's the only hip surgery I can think of. My wife was back on the road about 12 weeks after hip replacement, but it was the kind of hip that isn't cemented in place so you really can't even put weight on it for about 6 weeks. The conversation went like this:

Doctor (at 12 weeks check up), "Have you been riding?"

Wife, "You told me not to".

Doc, "And you listened to me?"

BobL
Old 09-27-05, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I* had full knee replacement and at three weeks was riding, Now I am 67, 10 years later and still ride 15 to 20 miles a day.
Old 09-29-05, 09:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bob,
I ALSO had the kind of hip replacement that isn't cemented in place and had to stay off of my feet for a period of time. The day they put me on that exercise bike was the happiest day of my life! I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I was a kid. I'm 50 going on 5! LOL
Old 09-29-05, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steel_knee
I* had full knee replacement and at three weeks was riding, Now I am 67, 10 years later and still ride 15 to 20 miles a day.
I am in awe of you.

I also hope I never need that. The surgeon said the rest of my knee cartilage looked like a 25 year old, but the kneecap looked like I was 65. He credits the cycling for keeping the rest healthy. To be honest, 15 years ago an orthopedic guy told me not to run because my kneecaps were going. I just kept going back to running - at least on occasion. I like to run. I guess it's probably time to heed that advice and stick to my bike.

BobL