Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fenders on a Swift folder

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

I have been working with Peter on getting my bike ready. I was planning to go with planet bike fenders but noticed the steel frame rear dropouts didn't have eyelets unlike the alum frame. Peter has recommended Apex fenders which need no eyelets and also because they don't interfere more with the day to day folding.
https://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=FE4502

I have never had fenders on my bikes so I don't know what is needed to get good coverage against water.
Anyone use Apex fenders and how would you rate them?
Looking at both products, it looks like the planet fenders would provide better coverage.
https://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=FE2518

I looked at a photo of Alex's Swift and they don't seem to effect the fold much. I would have to be a little careful not to push the seatpost into to fender. https://www.phred.org/~alex/pictures/...-quickfold.jpg

Any comments would be appreciated.

SG
Old 03-09-06, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the original "Swift folder" thread, James_Swift wrote about trying those Apex fenders. I think he was really happy with them... until it rained (Correct me if I'm wrong, James?)

Both SKS and Zefal make push-fit fenders (mounted like the Apex) but with shape & function more like a conventional Planet Bike type fender.
Old 03-09-06, 09:36 PM
Folding bike junkie!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Apex fenders are better than nothing but don't do much to help in more than a little sprinkle. The Planet Bike fenders are MUCH better. I personally would almost rather have NO fenders than the Apex unless I could mount them very close. A lot of spray goes around the fenders and still gets on you. I tried them on another bike. Perhaps you could rig up a bracket that would help use the PB fenders anyway? Use a little circular clamp ala bike rack mounts and attach the fender stays to them.
Old 03-10-06, 07:34 AM
All ur bike r belong Enki

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yangmusa
In the original "Swift folder" thread, James_Swift wrote about trying those Apex fenders. I think he was really happy with them... until it rained (Correct me if I'm wrong, James?)

Both SKS and Zefal make push-fit fenders (mounted like the Apex) but with shape & function more like a conventional Planet Bike type fender.
I originally bought the 20" "recumbent" Apex fenders, which provided no protection at all. The 26" Apex fenders (which I should have bought) that Peter recommends would fare much better, although definitely not as well as the Planet Bike ones. Don't worry about pushing the seatpost down on the PB fender....they're flexible and practically indestructible....real quality stuff.
Old 03-10-06, 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

SG
Old 03-11-06, 12:43 PM

Just an update.
Apparently the fenders Alex used were not PBs but Dahons which he had to make modifications to fit on the Swift. The PB rear fender looks like it's about 5" longer to give greater coverage and would interfere with the daily folding of the Swift.

Alex's fenders
https://www.phred.org/~alex/pictures/...ift-folder.jpg
https://www.phred.org/~alex/pictures/...-quickfold.jpg

Wav's fenders
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1&page=8&pp=30

Wav, are you planning to modify the rear PB fender to be more folding friendly. Since I don't own the fenders yet, can you tell if I will be able to easily cut the rear down and retain the useful coverage.

SG
Old 03-11-06, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put my Xootr Swift together using PB 20" fenders. It was really easy to attach them and cut the rear down as suggested on the Xootr website (https://xootr.com/xootr/swift/fenders.shtml). Cutting the fenders was no problem with a reasonably sharp pair of kitchen shears -- you don't need tin snips -- and putting the cut-down rear on with zip ties is the way to go. One bit of advice: if you're going to cut the rear fender down to make it more readily foldable cut it down by just a couple of inches, to look like the picture on the Xootr website, NOT to be as short as a clip-on fender. I did the latter to avoid the fender's flapping on rough roads and it doesn't give really good coverage. Because I use my Swift more as a travel bike and for a straight commute to my office, rather than as a multi-modal folder, I think I'll replace the trimmed rear fender with a new one which I'll attach with the stays, which I'll just loosen on those relatively rare occasions when I fold the bike up and want to lock the crank in place. (The new PB stays are designed to be loosened and tightened by hand.)

Jonathan
Old 03-11-06, 06:20 PM

Thanks Jonathan for the link. That cinched my decision.
I would prefer to keep the mudflap. I wonder if cutting the backend will work just as well with some minor modification to allow attachment to the frame. As I mentioned earlier, my steel frame has no eyelets so should I assume that I won't need them if I use zip ties.

SG
Old 03-11-06, 08:44 PM
Folding bike junkie!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stargazer48
Just an update.
Apparently the fenders Alex used were not PBs but Dahons which he had to make modifications to fit on the Swift. The PB rear fender looks like it's about 5" longer to give greater coverage and would interfere with the daily folding of the Swift.

Alex's fenders
https://www.phred.org/~alex/pictures/...ift-folder.jpg
https://www.phred.org/~alex/pictures/...-quickfold.jpg

Wav's fenders
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1&page=8&pp=30

Wav, are you planning to modify the rear PB fender to be more folding friendly. Since I don't own the fenders yet, can you tell if I will be able to easily cut the rear down and retain the useful coverage.

SG
I just let the seatpost hit the fender. It is only a fender and easily replaced if I need to and at minimal cost. My only change has been a little piece of black electrical tape where it might contact the fender. I personally don't want to sacrifice any coverage at all!
Old 03-12-06, 02:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[I wonder if cutting the backend will work just as well with some minor modification to allow attachment to the frame. As I mentioned earlier, my steel frame has no eyelets so should I assume that I won't need them if I use zip ties.]

If you're going to cut the rear fender but want to attach the fender to the frame you might as well not cut them at all (which, having cut mine too much, is my advice). The point of cuttiing the fender is not to have the seatpost avoid hitting the fender when the bike is folded -- even when fenders are cut back as much as mine are the post will hit the fender. Rather, the point is to allow the seatpost to press the fender down against the rear wheel to lock the wheel and crank in place. If you use the stays, which you eaisly can attach to the seatstays using zipties (https://www.mindspring.com/~d.g1/ziptie.htm), you'll either have to deal with your rear wheel's being able to rotate after the bike is folded or be willing to loosen the stays. Given the PB design, loosening and tightening the stays is really easy; you don't need tools.

Jonathan
Old 03-12-06, 09:41 AM

I wasn't as concerned about the seatpost pressing against the rear fender but whether the fender would clear the ground when the Swift is folded.
Since I don't have the Swift yet, I am assuming that when folded, the fender would be in contact and would be pressed down against the ground.
I guess when I get the bike and PB fenders, i'll see how much if any of the fender is hitting the ground when folded, i'll then determine whether I cut the fender and how much.
I know I can replace the fender but I don't want to damage it prematurely. I may not be in a location where I can easily or quickly replace the fender.

Last edited by stargazer48; 03-12-06 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 01:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newer information on Fenders for Xootr Swift???

Hello.

Are there any new solutions for fenders for the Xootr Swift. The last post in this thread is almost 3 years ago. Would it be cross posting to post a new thread with this title?

The concerns for fenders for the Xootr Swift remain the same as listed above the above posts:

1. Adequate coverage(Apex don't seem to work well)
2. Locking the rear wheel in place when folded. This is caused by the seattube pressing on the tire. By having this pressure the folded bike is less likely to roll off while leaning against something.
3. When rolling the bike on the real wheel while in a "wheelie" position while navigating train stations and escalators, the Planet Bike Fenders will scrap the ground preventing you to wheel the bike in a upright wheelie fashion.

Are there any other concerns?

Are there any new solutions than the ones listed above?

By convention here in the Swift, is it normal to put all posts for the swift in the main swift thread vs starting a new thread on a particular subject(e.g. fenders). By posting in the main swift thread, it is harder to search for a particular subject(e.g. fenders).

Thanks for the input/feedback.

MorpheusNYC