Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Covering bike and trailer.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-02, 10:43 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As I've stated in previous threads I'm going to start touring next spring. I've asked questions and have received good informations and advice. But now I have some more questions.

This has to do with covering my bike and trailer at night to keep rain off. First of all I ride a recumbent. The seat on it is foam. If it gets wet it will act like a sponge. Second I don't think it is a good idea to let the components to get wet from potential rain either. So I will be covering at least the bike with a 10' x 10' tarp.

But what about covering the trailer? It is a B.O.B. Yak Plus trailer. The bag, when not on the trailer will be inside the tent with me. But aside from the hub of the trailer are there any vital areas that should not get wet? Like the pivot point? Is it a good idea to cover the trailer as well? Or is there no need?

If it is I'll need a longer or at least a wider tarp.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-02, 10:35 AM
Ich bin ein Lowlander!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a winter tour in Scotland i found my trailer all rusty from the bad weather and the salt

The paint is cheap and gets damaged pretty soon, i haven`t used a cover before, but it`s a great idea.

The cheapest possible way is a plastic bag, but even better would be a rain cover from a big backpack, like the Lowe Alpine Alpamayo.

Btw, i found out there are three things about the B.O.B which really suck!

- As said, the paint is pretty weak.
- The bearings, i had to replace mine after a 1000 km
- The replacement axles for the rear wheel, they bent like spaghetti, even if you don`t have a fully loaded trailer.

But hey, the trailer design is pretty good

My trailer is just back from the powder-coater , it`s now covert with a though layer of dark blue coating.
I only have to mount the pivot and she`s ready to roll!

As for the pivot, just put enough grease inside, it should be fine!

cheers

Dancevalley 2th of august 2003 -> JXL, Laidback luke, Sasha, John Digweed, Monica Krusse.....and on!