Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Where are the MD peoples

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 06:12 AM
Huge Member

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanna go and can't, therefore you guys suck
Old 02-22-07, 06:43 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerMike
Well, we at least know where -you're- priorities lie.
Old 02-22-07, 07:46 AM
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
Where in HoCo? Pretty much the question is "where isn't it nice to ride" Pretty much all of the country roads are awesome to ride on IMO. I work in Columbia so I often take long lunch rides where i just pick a road and head out.

-D
Ellicott City, close to Snowden River Pkwy and Rt 100. My sister-in-law lives just down the street and her address reads Columbia, so I guess it's fairly close to the Columbia-Ellicott City border. I checked routeslip.com a little while ago, but that doesn't really give me a feel for 'which roads to avoid', which I guess would've been the better question (which apparently, you agree with).
Old 02-22-07, 08:03 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where in HoCo? Pretty much the question is "where isn't it nice to ride" Pretty much all of the country roads are awesome to ride on IMO. I work in Columbia so I often take long lunch rides where i just pick a road and head out.

-D
I much prefer Baltimore County to Howard. Other than the proximity, it is much easier to get away from the sprawl development and onto some really really back roads. State roads in Ho. Co. like Rt. 108 and 32 are horrendous though 99 is nice. When I go that far west (not very often) I will take Old Court all the way to 99 which is not too unpleasant. I also think the inhabitants of norther Baltimore County are a little more 'genteel' than folks in Howard County and thus more accommodating of bikes and other slow moving traffic.

PS. Got out yesterday for and hour and a half around Loch Raven Reservoir. The run off was abominable. My feet where freezing and my arse was soaked but I burnt a few killajoules! Don't forget to lube those chains!!!!
Old 02-22-07, 08:08 AM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That should give me a nice 55-60 mile ride and maybe 80 or so for you? Be a fun day.

How would 9:30am be? That should easily get me back to my parents house sometime between noon and 1pm. It will give me some time to visit (don't want to seem totally anti social). And plenty of time before our afternoon dinner.
Sounds fine to me. I'll leave my house at about 8am to allow for traffic lights.

Ummm... I may wind up with more than 80 miles, as it's 75 miles for the round trip from Essex to Annapolis after just crossing the naval academy bridge, but that's ok. I'll be in the "ball park" for "epic" once I get home.
Old 02-22-07, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by The Human Car
:And as you said it's not that tough.

FWIW The state should have a new bike map out in March and I had a look at it during the bike symposium and it is a lot better then the old one. They even have BikeWashington.org’s Balto-Washington bike route marked (though I wished they would have done some more invasion routes not just for DC but other areas as well but that’s the price we pay for the state not wanting me on that committee.) But as I said it is better so that's not a bad thing.
I said 'I' was not that tough. I think being car-less has to be tough. I am always impressed by folks like you. It's easy to be car-less in NY, CD, SF but not as easy in B-more. I don't like to buy beer and carry it on a bike.

What map are y'all talking about. Is it map that looks like a regular road map. I guess it's good to tell you which roads to avoid at all cost. It's notthegreatest bike map but i guess it's all we got.
For those of you riding this wknd be careful on rail-trails routes. Any unplowed shaded areas are going to have ice.
Old 02-22-07, 09:51 AM

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I can't make this on Saturday because of my TNT training ride, but I'd love to do this one with you guys on another occasion --- or another route for that matter.
Old 02-22-07, 10:04 AM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donhaller
I can't make this on Saturday because of my TNT training ride, but I'd love to do this one with you guys on another occasion --- or another route for that matter.
I go to Annapolis on the B&A Trail fairly often for a low-pressure-low stress recovery type of ride [weather permitting]. BTW, the last time I rode on it, there was a section that is closed. I believe they're doing renovations. It's not hard to by-pass and find your way back on to the trail.

Don, the current map can be found here:

https://www.sha.state.md.us/SHAServic.../OPPE/maps.asp

Old 02-22-07, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Sounds fine to me. I'll leave my house at about 8am to allow for traffic lights.

Ummm... I may wind up with more than 80 miles, as it's 75 miles for the round trip from Essex to Annapolis after just crossing the naval academy bridge, but that's ok. I'll be in the "ball park" for "epic" once I get home.

That's ok. You can handle epic I'm sure

-D
Old 02-22-07, 10:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerMike

Yea well at least are riding this afternoon. I heard on the radio something about chances for up to 50mph wind gusts?

FUN

-D
Old 02-22-07, 10:55 AM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea well at least are riding this afternoon. I heard on the radio something about chances for up to 50mph wind gusts?

FUN

-D
Yeah, if it's coming from the correct direction, I could open up my jacket and use it as a sail.
Old 02-22-07, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still have your cell phone number and you likely still have mine, so if we get crossed up we can contact each other.

NoRacer,

Actually I can't find your number. Wanna zap it to me again?

-D

Last edited by derath; 02-22-07 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow WIND. I took a quick spin this afternoon. Sorry you couldn't make it RacerMike. It was seriously windy. I had a headwind all the way back up Deer park.

It worked out kinda nice. My wife had taken the kids to a play date, that actually was also a birthday party. So she forgot the present. So my ride was double duty exercise/Bike Messenger.

But yea, there were times I was leaning over like I was taking a 90deg turn just to counteract the wind.

It also dropped like 10 deg while I was riding.

I gotta remember the raceblades saturday.

-D
Old 02-22-07, 05:36 PM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^

Yeah, the weather returning to winter by Sunday sux. At least on Saturday, the wind is suppose to subside. I've been riding home in shorts the past two days. I don't think I'll get away with it on Saturday.

-D, did you get my number?
Old 02-22-07, 06:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^

Yeah, the weather returning to winter by Sunday sux. At least on Saturday, the wind is suppose to subside. I've been riding home in shorts the past two days. I don't think I'll get away with it on Saturday.

-D, did you get my number?
Yea that's the only thing I am sorta nervous about (aside from keeping up with you). It is gonna be the longest sub 50deg ride I have been on so far. I hate trying to figure out what to wear.

Got your number and plugged it into my phone.

-D
Old 02-23-07, 08:51 AM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-D,

Here's the route I'll be taking to BWI and how to proceed from there, including your route to Thomas Point Park:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-outbound-only

I estimate that I'll have about 110 miles by the time I get back home.
Old 02-23-07, 09:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-D,

Here's the route I'll be taking to BWI and how to proceed from there, including your route to Thomas Point Park:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-outbound-only

I estimate that I'll have about 110 miles by the time I get back home.

Wow, is that cool? I hope you wanted to do a century+ on saturday. Otherwise we could modify the route and do something else. At least it will be a mostly flat 110 miles. And you can stay in the recovery zone easily so you don't drop me.

-D
Old 02-23-07, 09:55 AM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, is that cool? I hope you wanted to do a century+ on saturday. Otherwise we could modify the route and do something else. At least it will be a mostly flat 110 miles. And you can stay in the recovery zone easily so you don't drop me.

-D
No problem. I should be ok as long as we're not fighting wind all of the time.

This is a "no drop" ride.
Old 02-23-07, 11:30 AM

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just FYI . . .

I had to drive home from the BWI MARC station yesterday, so I took a few road detours to try to get some peeks at the trail. The unshaded spots that I could see appear to be completely free of snow, but with the occasional puddle, which will likely be frozen over Saturday morning. Since most of the BWI Trail is unshaded, it probably wouldn't be a bad ride. Dunno about the B&A Trail, though -- it has a lot more overhanging trees, so I wouldn't be surprised to find more snow/ice there.

The BWI is my favorite weekday, on-the-way-home-from work ride. I don't normally go there on weekends (I live kind of far away) but I had been thinking of heading there this Saturday, just so that if I do fall on some ice, at least I won't be pitched in front of a car.

If the lanterne rouge spot isn't already taken, it would be cool to meet some local bikeforumites, at least for a few minutes, until you all blast off over the horizon . . .
Old 02-23-07, 12:10 PM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^

Maxine,

derath and I will be at the Dorsey Rd airport observation parking lot at about 9:30AM if you want to try and catch us there. We both ride Giant, so I don't think it'll be hard to find us.
Old 02-23-07, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also feel free to join us for any or all of our ride

-D
Old 02-23-07, 01:10 PM

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I will look for you guys at Dixon. (Car = burgundy Mitsubishi Eclipse, bike = ti Airborne Carpe Diem.)
Old 02-23-07, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxine
I Dunno about the B&A Trail, though -- it has a lot more overhanging trees, so I wouldn't be surprised to find more snow/ice there.
Yea I may detour off to the roads for some of that. I will see on my way up in the morning.

-D
Old 02-23-07, 02:13 PM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
Don't forget to lube those chains!!!!
That's on tonight's list of things to do after a short rollers ride.
Old 02-23-07, 04:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I may detour off to the roads for some of that. I will see on my way up in the morning.

-D
Well I just got to my parents. I took the back way so I could go past the B&A trail. I saw it in several areas, which are all completely clear and dry. Should be good for a ride.

I wasn't able to find my lube but the chain should be good for at least another ride. I will pick some up on the way home.

-D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.