Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Zen ride!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 09:08 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Zen ride!

Tonight was one of those special moments, when everything is perfect and you can ride forever. Started off with a visit to my chiropractor to deal with a pinched nerve.

Felt good after work, so I jumped on the trusty mtb and took off for a 20-mile ride and within a couple of minutes everything was falling into place. I was painfree for the first time in a couple of weeks, the weather was perfect -- mid-70s, sunny, no wind, the legs were strong, and the road was calling to me. Worked up to a comfortable pace that raised the heart rate and built up a good sweat, and it hit me . . . I was having the perfect ride.

Crossed the river and listened to the steady drone of the tires on the pavement, the rhythm of the crank, the smooth mess of the gears and chain. The asphalt became a blur and I stopped checking the computer . . . I just went with the flow. Noticed the glorious colors of the evening, the gold hue on the mountains as the sun sank lower, the beginnings of fall colors on the upper reaches, smelled the fresh cut alfalfa hay, the churping of crickets. Did not notice I was climbing the big hill about a third into the ride, but busted right up about two gears better than normal. Rounded the halfway point of the ride, savoring the sights and sounds during a short water break, and then back in the saddle for the ride home. Caught myself grinning from ear to ear as I weaved back and forth down a two-mile grade at 30 mph. It just doesn't get any better.

Covered the 20 miles in just over an hour and 20 minutes -- best time ever -- but the time did not matter. The ride was sweet and life is good on the zen side of the street.

Countdown to the new bike: 10 days
Old 09-11-06, 09:33 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
"best time ever -- but the time did not matter." Yep, that's the zen ride, alright. They are few and far between, and I wish I could make it happen on command.
Old 09-11-06, 09:52 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I think you deserve a new bike.
Old 09-11-06, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Ya know, dbq, you could toss that in anywhere, and I would agree.
Old 09-12-06, 02:03 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You have a fantastic ride tonight and a new bike in 10 days. What more could you ask for?

Spike Milligan
Old 09-12-06, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I see a new book in the making... "Zen and the Art of Bicycle Riding". The experience of your recent ride is what keeps many of us out there spinning those wheels down the road. Nice post.
Old 09-12-06, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
There is no pace, computer, bumps, hills, there is just flow, bike and body are one, the mind is free.
I expect a full report in 11 days.
Old 09-12-06, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Cycling out into the countryside. It is always easy to pass over into nirvana. Even, right now; when the farmers are out spreading about manure. It's all part of natures cycle. The scenery is still incredible.
Old 09-12-06, 07:38 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got my 50+ Pie Ride route planned. It has "zen potential". I plan to leave the road bike home and just loaf along on the hybrid, watching the Great Lakes freighters on the St. Clair River and saying howdy to the shore fishermen trying for walleye. Hope I have the same experience as you. Maybe I'll leave the computer at home, too.

Sometimes you get a pretty stiff wind blowing downriver, however...
Old 09-12-06, 11:51 AM

That bike ride up the St Clair river. Seems a great ending would be to take the ferry across the river and do a circle tour.
Old 09-12-06, 01:23 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
That bike ride up the St Clair river. Seems a great ending would be to take the ferry across the river and do a circle tour.
That would be good - the Canadian side is a nice ride - but there's only a ferry at one terminus of the route. I'm planning on Marine City to St. Clair (and a restaurant there with good pie) and back.
Old 09-12-06, 01:36 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to pictures . . . my pie ride will be back on the dirt. The old bike did so well on pavement I think I'll reward it by getting it dirty on a backroad along the Gunnison Gorge.
Old 09-12-06, 03:06 PM

Yeah. We used to have either a pie or pancake ride. Depending on the time of day. Our stop for both was following the Palomar Mtn Climb in San Diego county. The banana/strawberry pancakes were out of the world. But, no river boat crossing like north of Detroit. I'd like to do that ride. Can bicycles cross the Blue Water Bridge?