Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Topeak XTR System Reviews?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was browsing racks yesterday and saw one of the Topeak MTX system racks and the various bags that they make that simply slide on the rack and have a locking mechanism. It looks like a really neat system. Do any of you have experience with these along with good or bad thoughts?

Last edited by dauphin; 08-28-07 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-29-06, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Topeak Explorer on the Sequoia and use it with the EXP trunkbag for commuting. There's not much to say other than it's high quality and works as designed. It's not a touring setup but the EXP bag is perfect for carrying lunch, odds and ends and a change of shoes and clothing. The bag clips to the rack solidly but pops off in an instant. The zip down panneirs are just *slightly* too small to fit my medium sized Sony Vaio laptop so I need a backpack if I'm carrying it, which is almost never. All in all, I'm very pleased with the setup.
Old 09-29-06, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Why do you need a special rack for clip-on pannier mounting? A standard rack can accept Ortleib, Arkel, and any Rixen and Kaul style QR locking system.
Old 09-29-06, 11:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just curious, I have never used a rear rack before and this system looked nice with variouis bag options that are available.
Old 09-29-06, 11:20 AM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the explorer MTX rack. It fits pretty easily without a lot of fiddling as long as you have rack braze-ons. Once it's tightened down it feels quite secure. I handled one of the Topeak MTX TrunkBag Dxp and I like the expanding top and fold-down panniers. The bag itself is a bit hefty and if you're planning on carrying it loaded over your shoulder once off the bike I would suggest getting a nicer shoulder strap than the one that comes included.

You'll likely have to slide the rack as far back as you can to avoid running the bag right against the seat. It hooks to the little upturned part of the frame so that part of the rack will need to be at the back edge of your saddle.

If I hadn't gone with separate trunk bags & panniers I would likely have picked that one up.
Old 09-29-06, 01:25 PM
Sandals and Eggbeaters...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the bag and rack combo. I have the DXP bag and have loved it thusfar (5 months now, full time commute for 3 of them)

Proximo: I fit my Dell 14" laptop into the DXP bag, which has the bigger panniers. They are about 10X13" and it fits perfectly.
Old 09-29-06, 02:14 PM
Powered by PB&J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Proximo
I have a Topeak Explorer on the Sequoia and use it with the EXP trunkbag for commuting. There's not much to say other than it's high quality and works as designed. It's not a touring setup but the EXP bag is perfect for carrying lunch, odds and ends and a change of shoes and clothing. The bag clips to the rack solidly but pops off in an instant. The zip down panneirs are just *slightly* too small to fit my medium sized Sony Vaio laptop so I need a backpack if I'm carrying it, which is almost never. All in all, I'm very pleased with the setup.
I have same bike, same rack but different bag. I have the DXP as mentioned by others. It's a huge bag with large(r) fold down panniers. my Thinkpad fits just fine in it. A friend has a humongoid HP laptop that fits in the same bag. The bag is so big when the top part is expanded, i'm thinking of using it for a weekend tour.

it's a great bag. large, quick to get on and off the bike, stays on securly and is easy to carry when off the bike.

anybody else with the bags, do you have the rain cover or do you just let the thing get rained on?
Old 09-29-06, 02:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the MTX rack/bag combo and I am very happy with it so far. Super easy and secure mount system and the bag is very rigid. As winter rolls in and I need to carry more gear and clothing I will have to go back to my REI panniers but for a few smaller items it rocks.

I tried one other trunk bag, a Performance store brand bag, and I didn't like it much. I wasn't stiff enough and flopped over the side of the rack if it wasn't stuffed full enough to make it rigid. It also was a pain to deal with the velcro straps taking it on and off the bike multiple times per day.
Old 09-29-06, 06:15 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for the reports...I really like the design of the dxp bag. Is this the one some of you have?

Last edited by dauphin; 08-28-07 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-29-06, 06:59 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I have that rack. My Topeak bag is identical except that it has plain side pockets without the drop down pannier bags.

I love it. It has survived about 20,000km of commuting so far. I would buy it again, definitely.
Old 09-30-06, 09:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
I have that rack. My Topeak bag is identical except that it has plain side pockets without the drop down pannier bags.

I love it. It has survived about 20,000km of commuting so far. I would buy it again, definitely.
Thanks for that report, right now I am trying to decide how large of a bag in their line that I will need. It may come down to having more than one if my needs vary. I do like the idea of being able to simply slide the on to the rack and snap it in place.
Old 09-30-06, 09:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkll
+1 on the bag and rack combo. I have the DXP bag and have loved it thusfar (5 months now, full time commute for 3 of them)

Proximo: I fit my Dell 14" laptop into the DXP bag, which has the bigger panniers. They are about 10X13" and it fits perfectly.
My Sony is 12 1/2" x 9 3/4" and the EXP zipper is about 2" or 3" from closing all the way. In a pinch, I could ride to work that way. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the DXP but in the photos it just looked bigger than I needed.
Old 09-30-06, 09:01 PM
Sandals and Eggbeaters...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's close enough in a pinch. Mine is a pretty tight fit, but makes it in.

super-douper: I was looking for the rain cover, but they didn't have any in North America at the time. The guy from Topeak USA said they would be in by June (never looked into it); I still ride without the cover and haven't had any issues with wetness. However, I've never really ridden with it in a downpour (lucky so far, until this post probably ;-) )

Topeak has many differect bags. The DXP has fit (at one time):

Lunch/dinner/snacks/ice packs
wallet/pump/keys/cell/tool kit/spare tube/patch kit
pants/shirts/underwear/t-shirt/belt OR an eagle creek 15" shirt folder (cut down plastic inserts to size)
laptop OR shoes OR papers for marking

I will probably get another of the smaller (lighter!) bags for days I don't need so much gear.
Old 10-01-06, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Nexus 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using one for commuting (MTX trunk bag) for the last six months and I'm very satisfied. This afternoon I plan to mount a second Topeak rack on my foul weather commuter. One bag, two bikes ready to go.

I pack my clothes the night before and throw my lunch in as I walk out the door. Clip on and go.
Old 10-01-06, 03:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep really nice setup with the slide. I had trunks which velcro and this is far better.

Much more secure.
Old 10-02-06, 12:56 PM