Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What's your major hurdle in becoming car-free?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

What's your major hurdle in becoming car-free?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 12:28 AM

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Right now the biggest obstacle is trying to get a job. The career field I'm trying to get into requires multiple trips for testing, interviews, meetings, etc. Which wouldn't be a big deal except I'm testing with multiple agencies and I need the car for my ~120 mile trips. It's a PITA.
Old 10-04-06, 07:37 AM
Tossed some weight

Bikes: '96 Specialized Rockhopper, '70's Fixed Fuji, '02 Organic Engines Troika Tandem Trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Job - it's 21 miles each way, on narrow/fast roads, with inconsiderate/ignorant motorists, and I often have to use my vehicle for work purposes. I've already explored alternate routes, and be run off the road numerous times.

2) Kids - The wife thinks she could sometimes bike them to pre-school, it's about 7 miles each way. What about on rainy, snowy, ill-temperate >90 or <45 degree days? The kids love to go on bike rides, and I'd like to keep it that way.

BTW, I love riding at night with my HID light.
Old 10-04-06, 10:14 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
There is no hurdle, its just not something that I want to do, that is not change my lifestyle - instead have the ease to go hiking or backpacking on weekends, ability to go to concerts/shows/events that are >20mi from my house, doing my own yard and house remodel and picking up my own large/bulky supplies. So I am glad I have a paid for 2dr Explorer to do those things.
This does not mean I use it when cycling is a better option, I cycle commute every day to work, ride to the start of every club ride or cycling event (or don't sign up if >30mi away), I do all my local errands (shopping, groceries, dr, dentist) on bike too.

Al

Last edited by noisebeam; 10-04-06 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-04-06, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Having always chosen to live in locations with nice climates. I'd say bad weather. My club members won't go out if it is drizzly.
Old 10-04-06, 01:22 PM
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
Get an LED light. They're not expensive, and batteries last for 200+ hours. I bought my LED light three months ago, I ride at night several times a week (I'm fond of music and beer), and I'm still using the original batteries. (But I keep a couple of extra batteries with me, just in case...)
I have an LED light too. The batteries do seem to last forever. However they are not nearly as bright as a halogen, HID, or ect light. I bought and mostly use my halogen light because of my frustration over the brightness of my cateye LED.
Old 10-04-06, 10:25 PM

Bikes: 2011 Marin Novato 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently, another year or two of school. i'm finding I don't have the energy and the dog doesn't have the bladder control for 4-6 hours round-trip commuting on top of 8-12 hours on campus.
After school: Work supplies and shows. I'm in school for ceramics/pottery and [hopefully] blacksmithing. The tools I can manage, but picking up 1000lbs of clay. I'm hoping I can get steel stock delivered. Shows I have to have my own setup for, and haul myself...along with my work-for-sale.

I am finding ways to make the car a work-only vehicle and do everything else by bike.

*EDIT* Almost forgot: puppy transport. Pooch weighs half what I do.
Old 10-05-06, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
work. cant commute to work without a car because nj public transportation is virtually nonexistant and it'd be too long of a bike ride.
Old 10-06-06, 05:33 AM
Urban "Dirtbag"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organization. I may be riding a bike, but in the mornings, I am still in a hurry and my brain isn't at 100% yet.

I need to collect my work stuff, just as I would in a car, but I also need the bike stuff - lock, cable, weather-related clothing, helmet, lights, and any other odds and ends - and most of it needs to go into my panniers. After 20 years, I have some systems worked out, but it's still a pain.

BTW, I love riding in the dark, which happens every morning this time of year. I have good lights, and I love the relative quiet. Watching the sun come up is great.
Old 10-06-06, 08:31 AM
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
Why am I not car free?

Money.

I have some now.

I was car free for 3 years when I was dead ass broke.
Old 10-07-06, 08:38 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chennai
Organization. I may be riding a bike, but in the mornings, I am still in a hurry and my brain isn't at 100% yet.

I need to collect my work stuff, just as I would in a car, but I also need the bike stuff - lock, cable, weather-related clothing, helmet, lights, and any other odds and ends - and most of it needs to go into my panniers. After 20 years, I have some systems worked out, but it's still a pain.

BTW, I love riding in the dark, which happens every morning this time of year. I have good lights, and I love the relative quiet. Watching the sun come up is great
Yeah, seeing a beautiful sunrise puts the whole day in the proper perspective: Comapred to the big sun and the big world, my work problems are pretty small. And a quick ride in the early morning chill will wake you up better than 12 pots of coffee! Ever try packing everything in your panniers the night before, then just grab them in the morning and ride?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-07-06, 09:02 PM
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to figure out how to ride 34 mph then I would do it more often I only have a half hour to get out of school and show at work
Old 10-09-06, 02:34 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
running errands in bad weather when I'm sick.
Old 10-09-06, 02:50 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
You soon get used to bad weather, and find the right gear to deal with it. If you're sick you should be home in bed watching Scrubs reruns.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-09-06, 08:06 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I talk to people in my town who seem to have given up bike commuting because we are getting temperatures below 40F. They seem terrified of cold weather and biking.

That's too bad because it isn't that awful on a bike on a winter's day when it's in the 20s and 30s. In fact, it's downright exhilarating. You need the right clothes, but there's nothing to fear.

I know there are some days when the weather is truly awful. But, if the weather's pretty icy or with blizzard-like conditions, maybe you shouldn't be driving a car either. I don't know if it's because of global warming or what, but last winter I counted about 10 of these days. The rest of the winter wasn't bad.
Old 10-12-06, 02:04 PM
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get tired.

I have a 2 year old.

My wife needs a car because she doesn't really ride much.

I go racing and need a car to travel there.

But I am about 4/5ths there. If everybody in the US did things the way I do, we'd be a damn sight better off.
Old 10-12-06, 10:08 PM
mtbguide

Bikes: Ellsworth Truth, Cannondale Super V, Cannondale CAAD4 road, Giant Team DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
My hurdle in going from car lite to car free is my love of snowboarding, hiking, biking, and camping in the mountains nearby. I hear that they have shuttles for boarding but the shuttle costs almost as much as it does for me to maintain my old prizm. And hiking and camping in secluded places isn't exactly "get a cab" material.
I'll second the above! I ride almost everyday but usually drive somewhere West of Denver to hike, ride or ski. I haven't done much riding for utility purposes but am beginning to thin out the posessions and break the buying everything in sight cycle.
Old 10-13-06, 11:28 AM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by flythebike
But I am about 4/5ths there. If everybody in the US did things the way I do, we'd be a damn sight better off.
Originally Posted by twowheelfunman
I haven't done much riding for utility purposes but am beginning to thin out the posessions and break the buying everything in sight cycle.
Good for you both. Do you find this forum to be a useful source of information and encouragement?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-13-06, 05:49 PM
pedal junkie

Bikes: Rivendell Romulus, Thorn Sherpa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My biggest hurdles up to this point have been the easy access I had to a car and the cold rain. I no longer have car access so my choices are to walk 10 blocks to the bus and pay for the bus, or ride my bike about 4 miles to work. I'd much rather ride! Once the car was out of the equation I find it very easy to get up every morning and hop on the bike. Thanks to this forum and some bikey people at work I've got proper rain gear and have learned how to dress for the colder weather.

Now my hurdles are carrying groceries home and the fact that only one of my close friends has a bike. Whenever we go anywhere in a group it is mostly by car and sometimes by foot.
Old 10-16-06, 02:47 PM
guenevere

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well, that always is a *most* interesting topic, I've always thought. The reasons we choose to fence ourselves in from getting to our dream/goal/whatever are quite tenacious and self sabotaging. We always think somehow our own little excuses are valid enough... heh, heh. Well, these are mine:

1. I live 2100 ft elevation and 10 miles from the edge of town, which is at sea level.

2. I am unemployed, and whenever I *do* go into town, it's to get a bunch of stuff.... like groceries mostly.

Given those two major reasons, I have to say I am bound and determined to achieve total Car Liteness. Is it okay for me to hang with you on this CarFree Forum???? ~jen

Old 10-17-06, 08:18 AM
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jen, Feel free to hang out and I think Car lightness is a cool thing. For me there is nothing wrong with cars per se, it’s their over use that is the problem. FWIW you sound like a good candidate for a compromise between motorized travel and human power. How about a human electric hybrid bike with cargo capacity for groceries and power to climb those hills? https://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/
. . /L
=()>()
Old 10-18-06, 08:55 PM
windsor84

Bikes: windsor single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my biggest hurdles are waking up to ride to school, my truck just there tempting me to sleep in a lil longer, riding in the rain, night work, i used to ride all summer to work at night but the winter is a different story in jersey. i think if i didnt have my truck and i was a little bit better on getting up i'd be car free. i'd deff. be car free if i was in the city again but sadly i'm not.
Old 10-19-06, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by windsor84
my biggest hurdles are waking up to ride to school, my truck just there tempting me to sleep in a lil longer, riding in the rain, night work, i used to ride all summer to work at night but the winter is a different story in jersey. i think if i didnt have my truck and i was a little bit better on getting up i'd be car free. i'd deff. be car free if i was in the city again but sadly i'm not.
Thanks for your support! A person's ability to live car free is strongly influenced by long term decisions, such as where to live and which job to take. From time to time we get opportunities to make new long term choices. For people who want to have an option for carfree living, when the time comes for new long term choices, just remember to factor in the things we talk about here in the LCF subforum. Until then, wave when you see us out there on the road!
Old 10-20-06, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerob
I am a single parent with 50% custody of my 6 year old daughter. (One week with me, one week with Mom - We live 3 miles apart in the same school district) If I tried to become "car free" then I can definitely envision my ex-wife trying to use said lack of vehicle as grounds for me to lose custody. In the eyes of the Friend of the Court I am quite certain that they would equate no car with not being able to properly care for my daughter. They may ask questions like these....

1) How would I get her to the ER if something terrible happened?
2) How will I get her to school in bad weather? (I live in Michigan - SNOW)
3) How cold will she get when I haul her around on a bike in winter?
4) How wet will she get when i haul her around on a bike in the rain?

I am not car free nor do I plan on it but I would be interested in hearing others feedback on the points I have raised. I am sure there are other single parents with custody issues that would concern them if they were to pursue becoming car free.
Hi Lance, indeed the situation presents many obstacles to becoming car free at this point in your life. I don't see a problem, though, because you are not currently car free and you said you do not plan to become car free.
Old 10-20-06, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by talkingtotigers
work. cant commute to work without a car because nj public transportation is virtually nonexistant and it'd be too long of a bike ride.
Where in NJ are you? I'm in South Jersey and I can get by with my bike, and the various bus routes in the area, plus the Patco line to Philly, and NJT to AC....you can also take your bike on the train/bus/light rail too. Check out the River line, each train can store up to 6 bikes each.
Old 10-20-06, 11:41 AM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by windsor84
This is a problem with motivation, not a problem with logistics. That warm cozy bed is calling your name and keeping you from doing things that you really want to do. So get up off your lazy butt and start cranking.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.