Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

28.6 Derailleur Adapter Clamp - Campagnolo brand - does/did it exist?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 08:15 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

Need some help from the mechanics and wrenches out there that have been at this longer than I have been. I want to know if what I'm looking (and praying I find) actually exists. I've seen the Campangolo adapter clamps for front derailleurs in 32 and 35mm. But did they ever make them in 28.6mm? Oh, and I'm looking for a silver one!

1) yes I know there are other brands of adapter clamps such as "problem solvers" and I'm not interested in them at the moment

2) I may be willing to send a few $$ finder's fee via PayPal if someone can source one of these Campagnolo clamps (in silver!)

3) I'm also aware that it is possible to take apart campangolo derailleurs and frankenstein myself a 2007 QS campy derailleur with a 28.6 clamp. I haven't ruled this route out yet, but it's not yet at the top of my options.

Here's a pic of what I'm after:

Old 10-23-06, 08:40 PM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cuda2k
1) yes I know there are other brands of adapter clamps such as "problem solvers" and I'm not interested in them at the moment
Dude, it's a derailer clamp adapter Who cares if it doesn't fit in perfectly? I bought a cheapo Nashbar braze-on-to-clamp-on adapter and it looks great with the Shimano 105 group.

Or, get yourself a roll of Campagnolo-branded electrical tape and make a shim so that you can use the 32 mm clamp That works surprisingly well!!! Or you can use an old strip of inner tube.
Old 10-23-06, 08:43 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

moxfyre....

Putting a lot of $$ into restoring a bike with a new campy group and I'd rather not "settle" for anything that I don't want if I can help it. And if you can't help, then best to keep your yapper shut.
Old 10-23-06, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cuda2k
moxfyre....

Putting a lot of $$ into restoring a bike with a new campy group and I'd rather not "settle" for anything that I don't want if I can help it. And if you can't help, then best to keep your yapper shut.
Okay, okay, I didn't realize it was a restoration. I thought this was more of a question of a bike you wanted to be able to ride tomorrow, and I was imagining you sitting there with a pathetically incomplete bike, simply because you wouldn't use a non-Campy derailer clamp.

Good luck finding the clamp, and do take the shim suggestion seriously if you can't find a 28.6.
Old 10-23-06, 09:04 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Fair enough, and no hard feelings. The shim is probably the last on my list of options, but like everything it is an option. Guess I haven't dropped hints about my restoration project around the Mechanics forum much like I have in some of the others. I'm putting a 2006/2007 Chorus group on my early 80's Gazelle Champion after having it completely repainted and reproduction decals put on. She's going to be my Master's graduation present to myself.
Old 10-24-06, 02:33 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Did you consider using an 8/9 speed der in 28.6? They are plentiful NIB on ebay for very cheap. There might be a little slop in the front shifting but not too much. All Campy's current front ders are basically 8 speed width with a plastic shim anyhow. Good luck on the bike project.

Tim
Old 10-24-06, 04:49 AM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Bianchi Veloce which has a 28.6 mm seat tube, and came with a Mirage FD (in black). Being an OCP, I wanted a silver FD so that it would match, and rather than use an adapter, which I thought would be ugly, my solution was to look on eBay for a NIB older FD with a 28.6 mm clamp, and swap the clamp with that on a new Veloce FD.

You can do this with much of the Campy FD gear as the parts are interchangeable; it's just a bit fiddly, and helps if you have 3 hands…

Hope this helps -

- Wil
Old 10-24-06, 06:17 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I might suggest the (gasp) Shimano solution which is a pair of shims that is double sided taped to the inside of the 32mm derailleur. You should be able to pick these up at your LBS for only a couple bucks. They are silver so you would have to look VERY close to be able to tell.
Old 10-24-06, 07:40 AM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hey 'cuda2k', if you can find a campy clamp/adapter like the pic you posted, then that would be way cool, even if it's not the size you need. You can always modify the clamp at the mating surfaces where the bolt goes by filing it or machining it to fit a 26.8 tube. Outside of that, get a super record FD clamp and try to modify that too. Those old super record derailleur clamps were quite ornate, and maybe you could modify it to work. That would look good, and be period correct. Hell, as far as that goes just use a complete super record FD with your modern Chorus crankset. You may have to modify it some to work with the narrower 10-speed chain, but it could be done.

Just a thought
Old 10-24-06, 07:51 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can buy a record metal cage FD in 28.6 Actually I have one in my house right now, NIB. It was too small for my bike....for some reason I thought it was the right size.
Old 10-24-06, 02:33 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

One thing I didn't mention was that I'm using 2007 Campy derailleurs and shifters. Thus, I need a "QS" style derailleur. I've been keeping an eye out for a 28.6 derailleur on ebay to frankenstein as well. Catatonic - if you want a metal cage Record derailleur with a 32 clamp or braze on, maybe we can work out a mix/match arrangement?
Old 10-24-06, 06:08 PM
If in doubt Fix it

Bikes: All Hand built: Raleigh Record fixed conversion, On-One Pompino, Felt TK2, Look KG451, Rychtarski Lo-pro, Orlowski Lo-Pro, New Hudson, Haro X2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having a very similar problem with a build i'm doing in the UK. My lbs has contacted a few different dealers and they've all said there is no 28.6mm clamps anymore, so i'm being forced into a 32mm + spacer.
Old 10-24-06, 06:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkunkCycling
I'm having a very similar problem with a build i'm doing in the UK. My lbs has contacted a few different dealers and they've all said there is no 28.6mm clamps anymore, so i'm being forced into a 32mm + spacer.
That is just crazy... I would bet there are more Campy folks riding steel bikes that Shimano folks. What is everyone with a standard 28.6 mm seat tube supposed to do? Why the heck would Campy stop making the most standard clamp size in existence??
Old 10-25-06, 08:45 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
Why the heck would Campy stop making the most standard clamp size in existence??
Probably because the current market doesn't demand enough of them to make continued production worthwhile. Now even steel frames use oversize tubing everywhere so there are very few 1-1/8" tubes still being incorporated. Campy, like everyone else, makes what they can sell.
Old 10-25-06, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nashbar is still selling adapters in 28.6 and they're on sale for $2.45. I bought two and they're much nicer than I expected. They're not Campy nice, though.
Old 10-26-06, 07:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
Nashbar is still selling adapters in 28.6 and they're on sale for $2.45. I bought two and they're much nicer than I expected. They're not Campy nice, though.
Yeah, I've got the 32mm version and it's quite nice. Doesn't say "Campy" though
Old 10-26-06, 12:28 PM
retroid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking for an all-silver 28.6 Chorus or better FD for my Gunnar...

KS
Old 10-26-06, 07:09 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

killsoft - good luck. Ebay is about your only chance of finding an older Campy Record or Chorus in all silver. I've had the luck of finding someone with an older 28.6 clamp Record derailleur which I'm going to swap clamps with a Braze-on style Centuar derailleur. I think we should all start bombarding campagnolo's email asking why they discontinued 28.6 clamps when it has to be the most common tubing size out there (although not in new bikes). There are a billion great older steel bikes that would look and ride fantastically with a campy 10sp upgrade. My Gazelle will be one of them.