Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Rant...

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter Rant...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-03, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Winter Rant...

<sigh>

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

After almost 3 weeks of mostly good weather (as high as 80 degrees at one point last Monday), I wake up to a blizzard this morning here in Chicago. The winds are strong, the ice is falling from the sky (freezing rain combined with snow), and it's foggy too.

Damn.

I knew the weather was too good to be true- I knew because we were having such good weather to expect at least one more snow, but I've been spoiled. I was so through with riding in the winter, and now I'm getting ready to layer up and ride one more time in this mess. I was so depressed, I didn't even go downstairs to work out this morning. I laid in bed for a full hour staring at this entire mess going on outside.

Damn again.

There's no way I can get out of going to work today. All I can do is get out there and grin and bear it. I would think after riding all winter in cold weather, I should be used to this, right? How did I become such a wimp in the space of 3 weeks? How did I let my guard down so quickly? How did I allow myself to slip into this false sense of summer happiness?

Glad I got one more ride in yesterday before all this hit. I guess it helps lessen the impact of this new snow.

Ok, rant over. I've got to get ready to go to work now.

</sigh>

Koffee

Old 04-07-03, 09:55 AM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KB I guess I'm luckier than you, we've only had about 2 or 3 days of half decent weather this spring, therefore I don't miss it as much!

Actually, I so enjoyed the perilous ride home on slicks during Friday's freezing rain/ice pellets/snow/wind storm, that I am actually looking forward (**********) to next winter when I will have a fully prepared winter bike (with studded tires) ready to go for crappy weather. Maybe then we won't have the crappy weather.
Old 04-07-03, 01:50 PM

That's what I think every year- next year won't be so crappy, but then when the next year comes, it's crappy- it's just crappy in a different way.

I remember the last winter we had (2000- 2001). I remember clearly- we had great weather until about Christmas, and then it started becoming a little cooler for Christmas. No big deal. Then right after Jan 1, 2001, we had like 15 inches of snow. The downward spiral began, and it didn't get warm until after June 1st, either.

This year is just different crap- lots of bone chilling cold days, not very many snow days, but the snow days were crap too. Mostly, it was just bone-chilling cold. Then it finally gets warm, and just when you think it's safe, bam! Winter's back, and it's in full force.

<sigh>

Koffee

Old 04-07-03, 03:05 PM
Ride Nekkid!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Koffee Brown
Winter's back, and it's in full force.

<sigh>

Koffee
Gee, it is 75 degrees and all bright and sunshiney here, girlfriend. Time for a ride!

(You should live in Trollsville, Koffee!)
Old 04-07-03, 03:17 PM

If you're referring to Texas, dunno.... been there, done that, moved on.

Thanks for the thought.

Koffee

Old 04-07-03, 03:27 PM
Ride Nekkid!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Koffee Brown
If you're referring to Texas, dunno.... been there, done that, moved on.

Thanks for the thought.

Koffee
TEXAS??

No, no, no, Koffee, not Texas! Trollsville is a magical place of enchantment where happy creatures dwell. You get there by wishing.

Texas is a state of the union....Trollsville is a state of mind!
Old 04-07-03, 09:27 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Having just survived seven months of summer (that's right, SEVEN), you'll get absolutely no sympathy from me whatsoever. Now that it's over, my dilemma is do I ride, or do I try to catch up on all that sleep I couldn't get during those seven months of terror.

That is all.
Old 04-08-03, 06:27 AM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris L - Likewise, I'm sure ( no sympathy - It feels like we've had 7 months of winter here!)

A.Troll: - Does everyone ride nekkid there or just you????
Old 04-08-03, 07:27 AM
Spawn of Satan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We had a major ice storm this weekend. I lost power from Saturday morning till Monday afternoon. The highs Sat and Sun were like 33°F (1° C). I was sitting on my couch watching my breath!

There are still about 14,000 people still w/o power so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

I still got on the rollers Saturday afternoon, took a shower, then froze.

It just pisses me off to know how dependant I am on the weather and the utility companies.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger I guess!
Old 04-08-03, 11:59 AM
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just hope the summer is not a cold one and full of big never ending rain Strom's.That would suck.
Old 04-09-03, 09:29 AM

Well, today is supposed to be warmer, so I'm going for a long ride, no matter what. Since I'm going by the lakefront, they said that it would be a bit colder than the rest of the city and suburbs, so I'll probably head north along the lakefront and jump on Devon, then go to the North Shore trail that goes to Wisconsin and get my jollies that way. It'll still be cold, but at least there will be less idiot pedestrians to deal with and I can ride as much and as long as I want.

ChrisL, I bet if you ever came to Chicago in the winter, you wouldn't make it, even on a warm winter day... too acclimitized to your pansy Australian weather patterns!

Koffee