Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Lemond Alpe d'Huez or Trek Pilot 2.1 or 2200 or 2100 or 1500

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 09:19 PM
My Left Wrist

Bikes: Trek 820, Lemond Alp D'Huez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I've asked everyone else I know so I'll ask you too. Which bike do you recommend? Or is this a personal thing and I should make up my own mind? This will be my first roadbike. I've been riding my kid's '99 Trek 820 (19" frame) and I've built up to 25 mile rides, so yea, it's time for a real bike.

I'm 6'4" - 230lbs with long arms and long upper body. I'm a runner with worn out knees so I'm turnin' rider. My goal is the Hotter 'n Hell this August.

I've test ridden several bikes including:
Trek Pilot 2.1 - Nice ride, a bit upright
Trek 2200, 2100, 1500 - nice rides long top tube
Lemond Alpe d"Huez - great ride - long top tube my favorite so far
Candonal CAD 8 - an OK ride.
several Specialized - just OK rides
Giant OC-2 - another OK ride

At our size there seems to be a limit to how many bikes we can test ride. Most bike shops don't display 61 and 63cm frames. They'll order for us, but I hate to ask a small bike shop to order a bike so I can test ride it, and possibly say no.

So what do I do? Grow up and make up my own mind, or listen to u guys?

And check out that Avatar - That's my left wrist getting screwed! I broke it when I fell off that awesome Trek 820.

Thanks

Rick
Old 01-07-07, 09:51 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rickridesslow
Hi,
I've asked everyone else I know so I'll ask you too. Which bike do you recommend? Or is this a personal thing and I should make up my own mind? This will be my first roadbike. I've been riding my kid's '99 Trek 820 (19" frame) and I've built up to 25 mile rides, so yea, it's time for a real bike.

I'm 6'4" - 230lbs with long arms and long upper body. I'm a runner with worn out knees so I'm turnin' rider. My goal is the Hotter 'n Hell this August.

I've test ridden several bikes including:
Trek Pilot 2.1 - Nice ride, a bit upright
Trek 2200, 2100, 1500 - nice rides long top tube
Lemond Alpe d"Huez - great ride - long top tube my favorite so far
Candonal CAD 8 - an OK ride.
several Specialized - just OK rides
Giant OC-2 - another OK ride

At our size there seems to be a limit to how many bikes we can test ride. Most bike shops don't display 61 and 63cm frames. They'll order for us, but I hate to ask a small bike shop to order a bike so I can test ride it, and possibly say no.

So what do I do? Grow up and make up my own mind, or listen to u guys?

And check out that Avatar - That's my left wrist getting screwed! I broke it when I fell off that awesome Trek 820.

Thanks

Rick
Nothing wrong with asking advice! The LeMond is a truly nice bike! I'd go with a strong wheel, personally, not get talked into a low spoke count wheel. I'm 220 and I run a 40 spoke rear and 36 spoke front. A few grams don't make that much of a difference weight wise with a Clyde, but boy do they make a strength difference! I do endurance riding myself and like the reliability of a high spoke count wheel, but that's just me! The decision, of course is up to you, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-07-07, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 63 Trek and 61 Lemond and either can be set up to accomodate the same body geometry. I don't have any personal experience with aluminum combined wtih zertz or CF tubes, so can't help you there.

All of the Lemond names have been changed around, e.g., the Alpe d'Huez used to be one of their top bikes in the Lemond line. Now, however, even the Buenos Aires cost more because it's all CF. Both Trek and Lemond all-CF bike cost more than your choices, so, it looks like that is out. But, Lemond does still offer a steel road bike (so does Trek but its a touring bike and a bit dated).

With your size, you probably do not need a down slopiing tube and in the Trek line that would be a Madone but it's not big enough (or the 520 tour bike). So, I'd suggest a 61c Lemond Sarthe, i.e, a classic steel, flat top tube performance road bike, and the top tube is about 1-1.5c longer than a Trek (that's what I'd get in that price range).

Last edited by wagathon; 01-07-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 11:11 PM
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rickridesslow
Which bike do you recommend? Or is this a personal thing and I should make up my own mind?
Definitely ask. You may receive a few points to consider about certain models that you haven't thought of. And you probably will get conflicting information and/or points of view, which is fine, this is America. But sometimes it may make decisions harder instead of easier! Like this one ... ideally you want to ride the bikes and see which one feels best to you. But then again, I just bought a road bike off of ebay without much information, and it turned out good.

That's all I can contribute, as I'm not familiar with those models. Good luck!
Old 01-07-07, 11:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Rick,

Get your bike and come ride with us!

https://www.ran22.com/pba/

The Tweener ride is 25-30 miles at a pretty easy pace. All the bikes you list are great rides IMO. The one that fits you the best is the one to get. If you like the Trek line with more traditional geometry (all but the Pilot series) the closeout deals in Dallas for the 5000 and 5200 models are hot right now. I would suggest at least riding a carbon frame bike, you might like or you might not. Plano Cycling and Fitness, the Richardson Bike Marts and Wheels in Motion usually have several 61s in stock.

As for wheels, I have had pretty good luck so far with stock wheelsets (knock on wood). I am 260lbs but tend to steer around holes or at least 'unweight' the bike over obstacles. I think it is a lot about how you ride and what you ride on that dictates how hard you will be on wheels. You should be able to work with a LBS for a wheel upgrade if you prefer. I am sure Tom is very informed about his recommendation.

Good luck