Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Holiday back slide!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holiday back slide!!

Hello, I started April 4 2006 at 286lb. On November 24 2006 I WAS down to 222lb. Then the holidays hit and now I just weighed and I gained back 16lb. Anyone else have this kind of trouble? I know a big part of my gain was not riding or walking enough in the colder weather. ( and could not say no to holiday goodies).Does anyone here have this problem in the winter months? And how do you counter the lack of outdoor exercise. ( I live in a rural small town, no indoor exercise facility close ). I love this forum it is what motivated me in the first place. Iam retired and 59 years old.
Old 01-10-07, 09:45 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont sweat it! Just try to get back on track. I go through periods of weightloss and gain too as does probably everyone on this site. It is very frustrating but definately dont give up. It is especially harder in the winter. My main goal for the winter is to maintain weight or slightly lose.

Just get right back on track and those 16 will come off fairly fast! You already made a huge improvement so dont let this stop you!
Old 01-10-07, 10:18 AM
Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot

Bikes: 09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It may not be as fun but what i do for when i don't make the gym is a DIY workout at home.

crunches
push-ups
lunges

just do plently of sets/reps and use your own body weight as resistance.
Old 01-10-07, 10:48 AM
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
64 pounds in 7-1/2 months is incredible. Nice job!

As for the holidays, well, that only comes once a year. The past is the past, put it behind you. It is a new year ... focus on what you can loose in the next 10 months. You could be down to your target weight by then and graduate from this Clydesdale club! Work it, baby, work it.
Old 01-10-07, 11:09 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
grumble, grumble...

Not too bad but slightly slid. This is from someone who can't lose more than 2 pounds a month eating right...but eating crap and I can lose a lot more.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 01-10-07, 11:14 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Indoor trainer and crunches etc.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-10-07, 12:27 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Indoor trainer of some sorts.

I've got both an old Nashbar C-Force if I want to ride my regular bike, and my stationary recumbent when I want to pedal for a couple hours and play Xbox at the same time.
Old 01-10-07, 03:27 PM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by scotsman
Hello, I started April 4 2006 at 286lb. On November 24 2006 I WAS down to 222lb. Then the holidays hit and now I just weighed and I gained back 16lb. Anyone else have this kind of trouble? I know a big part of my gain was not riding or walking enough in the colder weather. ( and could not say no to holiday goodies).Does anyone here have this problem in the winter months? And how do you counter the lack of outdoor exercise. ( I live in a rural small town, no indoor exercise facility close ). I love this forum it is what motivated me in the first place. Iam retired and 59 years old.
First off, congrats on the weight you HAVE taken off between April 2006 and today; by my accounting that's nearly 50lbs, which is fantastic!!

Now, I hate cold weather too, so I can sympathize with you. It's 53F outside right now, which might be warm for you guys up north, but we're walking around in mucklucks and parkas here in Florida..

One thing you can do to get that "workout" indoors is to invest in a good quality trainer. Personally, I have a cyclops fluid2 and am happy as can be; others recommend the Kurt Kinetic. A trainer will set you back about $250-300, but it allows you to ride your bike in the comfort of your own house.

When I do "trainer night," I set it up in front of the TV and pop in a movie I hadn't seen yet (Monday night I watched "A History of Violence"). The movie helps keep your mind off the exercise.

A few other suggestions for using the trainer:

1. Put a yoga mat on the floor, with a full size towel on top of the mat. This will absorb the sweat and keep it from getting into the rug/flooring underneath.
2. You can use a phone book instead of a riser block.
3. Use a smaller hand towel over the top tube to absorb sweat as it pours off of you.
4. Setup a fan to help cool you down.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-07, 05:04 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't even want to weigh myself. I have been off for a month now, as I wait for my new seatpost to arrive (for the third time). I may wait until March to weigh myself.
Old 01-10-07, 06:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for your words. Iam just mad at myself for backing off over the holidays. BUT iam on track again and will be working to get to my goal 200 lb by summer.
Old 01-10-07, 06:51 PM
Tires- 2 skinny, one fat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drink Way Too Much water. It will help you lose the weight and keep you busy.
Old 01-11-07, 12:01 AM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guilty of the same

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx