Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front rack on Novara Safari with disc brakes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to determine which front racks might work for a Novara Safari with disc brakes: IIRC I've read about problems making one fit because of the brake's bulge and unfortunately I can't find anything on it now.

It'll be for 'light' touring use - trips of a few days.

Any thoughts appreciated - TIA.
Old 04-08-07, 10:41 AM

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read about how annoying it is to mount fenders and front rack here (keep reading the forum posts):

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum...nested=1#29035

As you can see, it IS possible, according to this picture:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p...=AE&size=large
Old 04-08-07, 11:18 AM

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wayne at thetouringstore.com can recommend a rack that will work. He may ask that you send him a picture of your front wheel setup. I would bet that a Tubus Tara installed with spacers would be fine with disc brakes. They work fine for my Americano.
Old 04-08-07, 11:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had they joy of tackling this myself a week ago! Brand new Safari... Technically only the Tubas Tarus will fit the bizzare offset of 8" from braze-on to the mid fork braze-on... But I was able to fit the Transit front rack/pannier package from performance bike with few modifications... If you end up with that rack, lemme know, and I can save you some time for the install...
Ryan
Old 04-08-07, 02:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inthe10ring
But I was able to fit the Transit front rack/pannier package from performance bike with few modifications... If you end up with that rack, lemme know, and I can save you some time for the install...
That's definitely in my price range! How is it working out?
Old 04-08-07, 03:27 PM
Prairie Path Commuter

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a new Safari too. I emailed Wayne at The Touring Store before hand and this is what he had to say.

"I have sent about 6 Tubus Tara front racks to Novara Safari owners. They appear to just clear the disk brake mechanism.
Thanks!
Wayne Boroughs "

I need to get an order in too but I should also ask him if the Tara works why wouldn't the Duo?

Last edited by robmcl; 04-08-07 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-08-07, 07:54 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you want a front rack with a shelf Old Man Mountain has racks that will mount via the front QR. I have two of them and they work well, but the panniers would be higher than a low rider setup.
Old 04-09-07, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Transit rack from Performance has been great! I don't have the money for nicer equip like the tubas tara, even though it's lighter and sexier for sure... I loaded up my transit panniers with about 30 lbs of dirty laundry, and ran some errands around town without any problems at all... Rack never budged a bit, including many trips off of curbs and potholes... Highly recommended, though a little heavier than would be ideal... Only two very small mods need to be done to get the rack to fit. #1, is the diciest. you have to bend out the stay that threads into your lower braze-on. by out I mean actually torwards the wheel if it were mounted. it only needs a tiny bit, just enough to get the rack to clear the disc brake. #2, is I had to cut my spacers for the lower brazeons down by about 1/3 to be able to thread the supplied allen bolt into said braze-on... Took me and a buddy about half an hour. Good to go! Here's a few pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0294.JPG (82.1 KB, 148 views)
DSCN0293.JPG (97.5 KB, 114 views)
DSCN0276.JPG (80.1 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Inthe10ring; 04-09-07 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-03-10, 04:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Axiom Journey Suspension & Disc Lowrider, introduced in summer 2010, is a new option. The lower mount clamps to the dropouts with an extra-long quick-release skewer (supplied), like the Old Man Mountain Sherpa and Cold Springs. The upper mount falls below the 2006/2007/2008 Safari's unusually high low-rider bosses, so you have to use the supplied U-bolts. (For those who don't like U-bolts, the flat sliding plates for Surly Nice front racks could very likely be pressed into service as adapters, and motivated do-it-yourselfers could fabricate their own.)

Additional features:

(1) It rides a bit higher than most low-riders, so you have some extra ground clearance.

(2) It's more centered on the fork's axis of rotation than many other front racks, so it doesn't contribute as much to wheel flop.

(3) The pannier-mounting plane of the rack stands clear of the disc brake mechanism, so the backing on the left pannier shouldn't get a hole worn in it from rubbing against the brake.

(4) It's relatively inexpensive, at around $36 -- plus, optionally, around $8 or $9 for a pair of Surly flat sliding plates.
Old 10-30-10, 06:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PCMartin, any links for real world experience with the Axiom Journey Suspension Front rack? Nice (looking) alternative to Tubus Duo, without needing the through-bolt center brazeon that many forks dont have. Axiom's weight ratings seem a bit theoretical for their other racks / especially given the tubing diameters in aluminum, and comparing same to Tubus designs in steel.