Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Richard Simmons

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Richard Simmons

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-01, 11:17 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Richard Simmons

I was watching a Richard Simmons infomercial the other night.

This man is extremely successful, as are the adherents to his weight-loss programs. Although I don't go in for dancing to "Mame" or other Broadway hits, you can't argue with success.

The point is, the core of Richard Simmons' weight-loss strategy is:

1) Exercise aerobically, including a little strength training.

2) Count calorie and nutritional intake (he has a very clever "window" counter that keeps track of your food intake.)

3) Positive thinking (tell yourself something good about yourself today.)

I have a few comments.

1) Keep up the good work, Mr. Simmons!

2) Biking, reading food labels and speaking/thinking good thoughts will also be effective. I believe in Mr. Simmons' program because I followed the same principles (without actually buying his videos.)

3) I support anyone who helps people to know they can win the weight battle without gimmicks or drugs, and who charge next to nothing for a product that works.

4) Buy a bike. It works, too!

Old 08-26-01, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week my wife went on a low carbohydrate diet against my advice.The other day she said"I'm just so tired, I can barely move do you think it's the diet?" DUH!She's grouchy as hell too!Why did she decide on this diet? A woman she works with has lost 50 lbs. on this diet.This woman has been obese before.She has scars on her arms where she had surgery to remove excess skin from being fat and losing weight.The fact she got fat again sends no warning sign to wife, she is only looking at the short term gain(or loss).Personally I could not imagine being on a low carbohydrate diet, I love carbs.You can lead a horse to water.......
Old 08-26-01, 03:50 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The low carb diets are like the low salt diets of the 80s, and the low fat diets of the 90s. Sooner or later people will expose them for the fraud they really are. Heck, I am 61kg, and I love carbs (almost as much as I love hills). The truth of the matter is, if you stopped eating altogether you'll lose weight, but your health will be totally f**ed. I think the low-carb diets are a less extreme example of exactly the same principle. Which is more important to you?

Chris

That is all.
Old 08-27-01, 07:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pete,

I ask myself, "How bored would I have to be before I watch a Richard Simmons infomercial?"

Is the grout clean in the shower?

Have may cats claws been snipped?

Have I flossed today?

When was the last time I checked the oil in my wifes car?

Is that a bug on the wall? I'm going to stare at it until it moves.

The man just plain scares me.

Kind of like a kid being afraid of clowns.
Old 08-27-01, 08:47 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A low-carb diet is probably OK (for short periods, at least) for people who are basically sedentary. Once you really start to exercise, though, you NEED carbohydrates. Those high-carb diets DID work with people who actually EXERCISED!
People have some very strange ideas about dieting. Why else would somebody order a 1/4 pounder with cheese, fries, and a diet coke? And, just what is the point behind low-sodium "sports" drinks? :confused:
Old 08-27-01, 08:50 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Have you ever looked closely at Richard Simmons? He is not thin or fit. He is covered with what my wife calls baby fat. I call it being well padded.

I don't know how anyone could fall for his weight loss schemes when he needs to lose weight himself!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-27-01, 10:44 AM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you seen a before picture of him? He was ~380lbs...
Old 08-27-01, 12:05 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. He actually appeared as a "fat man" in a Fellini film, back in the late 60's. Say what you like to about him, but he is a good example of being healthy, without going overboard (physically, anyway). That's why he's so popular. He wouldn't be nearly as popular if he were concerned only with muscle tone and was popping anabolic steroids like they were candy.