Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picked up a weird one tonight - Roold, anyone?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 11:36 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

As part of a 3 bike deal that included a Schwinn Speedster and a Raliegh Grand Prix, I picked up a strange little French(?) mixte. Marked "Roold" on the downtube and headbadge, the crest appears to be a large rat holding a wheel.

The running gear is low end Simplex, wheels are checkered steel marked "SAMIR SAMINOX", and the frame appears to be ordinary gas-pipe construction. The hubs are high flange alloy and look like Normandy, but are marked "EXCELTOO SUPER COMPETITION". The skewers are straight blade, and marked "BREV STOP".

I took some quick photo's - take a look:

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-30-07, 12:02 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Repeat after me: " I before e except after c, except in the cases of neighbor and weigh. And weird, and Raleigh, and any other words that don't conform to the rule.
Old 05-30-07, 01:36 AM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks Chinese to me, because of the way all the parts look like copies, but have unfamiliar logos. I have a chinese road bike with Shaino components...
Old 05-30-07, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked 6,738 Times in 2,623 Posts
I have some similar components on the St. Etienne I picked up a couple of weeks ago--same Exceltoo hubs, same stem (which I think is a Belleri). Ah, the 70s bike boom produced some pretty varied stuff.

Neal
Old 05-30-07, 05:15 AM
MFA

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Nouvo Record; 1965 Hercules; 1982-83 Schwinn Mystery MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I certainly wouldn't mind having a pair of those CLB brake leves. They are a little bit prettier than the Weinnman design.

Last edited by jjvw; 05-30-07 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-30-07, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Peugeot knockoff? That's what the decals kind of look like? The downtube and headbadge decals anyways?,,,,,BD
Old 05-30-07, 06:04 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 2,202 Times in 965 Posts
Stacey needs this bike if it's truly a Rat on the headbadge. Could it perhaps be a kangaroo? Thus the name RooLD. Perhaps an import to Australia? And is that the official stem of Bike Forums?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-30-07, 06:05 AM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As long as we're on grammar, photo's either means "photo is" or "belonging to the photo".
Old 05-30-07, 06:24 AM

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 106 Posts
I remember Roold. My father was a prof at Texas A&M back in the late '60's and early '70's. There was one in a display case in one of the buildings on campus. It was a top of the line model and had all Campagnolo NR components, and this new type of tubing called "Vitus". Good looking bike. I think it's Dutch.
Old 05-30-07, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mswantak
Repeat after me: " I before e except after c, except in the cases of neighbor and weigh. And weird, and Raleigh, and any other words that don't conform to the rule.
But you can seize this opportunity to make BBM some special Raliegh decals
Old 05-30-07, 07:51 AM
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Strange, but a Kewl squirrely old bike.
Old 05-30-07, 09:04 AM
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cool rat badge
Old 05-30-07, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked 6,738 Times in 2,623 Posts
Originally Posted by vpiuva
But you can seize this opportunity to make BBM some special Raliegh decals
And while you're at it, make some Colango ones, too. And maybe a Peugot.

Neal
Old 05-30-07, 10:15 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Roold is French

from the Vintage Bicycle Geneology and Archive:

RE:VINTAGE LIGHTWEIGHTS: Lejeune 10 speed......... posted by JONathan on 8/28/2004 at 8:28:36 AM
Great find! They were a well respected bike, at least in track and TDF races, which would be top of the line mounts, of course. I would feel lucky to find one, even their modest, consumer-type versions would be cool to round out the collection. My French bikes are; Peugeot (of course); Jeunet; Motobecane; Mercier and Roold. I have not even seen a LeJeune around here, N. Ca..
How does it ride? Compared to a UO-8, forinstance.
Good luck, JONathan
by: 67.118.246.174
https://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

Originally Posted by bigbossman
As part of a 3 bike deal that included a Schwinn Speedster and a Raliegh Grand Prix, I picked up a strange little French(?) mixte. Marked "Roold" on the downtube and headbadge, the crest appears to be a large rat holding a wheel.

The running gear is low end Simplex, wheels are checkered steel marked "SAMIR SAMINOX", and the frame appears to be ordinary gas-pipe construction. The hubs are high flange alloy and look like Normandy, but are marked "EXCELTOO SUPER COMPETITION". The skewers are straight blade, and marked "BREV STOP".

I took some quick photo's - take a look:

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-30-07, 10:19 AM

Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cool find BBM,

I agree w/ Pastor Bob, this mixte should be Stacy's

I think that they were litterally located right down the block from the Motobecane plant in the late 60's and this was an "Aussie" theme. That's not a rat you dirty rat, it's a Kangaroo! (supposed to signify speed, lightness of step, agility...)

We should start a thread listing thoughts and pictures of all of the wildlife/creatures used on vintage bikes ehh??

Last edited by bigwoo; 05-30-07 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-30-07, 10:25 AM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks for all the help, guys. (excepting Tom and bigwoo )

I found a fixie conversion with the same head badge here:
https://velospace.org/node/2362

And a poster here:
https://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--...cles_Roold.htm

Actually, the poster art seems quite common, judging from all the Google hits. Roold must have been a fairly prolific manufacturer at one time, and does appear to be French - at least it says "Made in France" on the bike

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 05-30-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-30-07, 11:47 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by bigbossman
Thanks for all the help, guys. (excepting Tom and bigwoo )

I found a fixie conversion with the same head badge here:
https://velospace.org/node/2362

And a poster here:
https://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/pd--...cles_Roold.htm

Actually, the poster art seems quite common, judging from all the Google hits. Roold must have been a fairly prolific manufacturer at one time, and does appear to be French - at least it says "Made in France" on the bike
Not a problem.....how often do I get to dig up obscure info for "The Man"!

Old 05-30-07, 11:55 AM

Hey Bossman, check out the July 15 entry, the only other mention of Roold I could find on the net! The Blue bike in the picture is the Roold mentioned in the journal entry.

Old 05-17-16, 08:07 AM

Bikes: 1973 Roold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is a little late for this thread, but I have a Roold bike. I bought it new in 1973 and it was top of the line then. The bike was manufactured in France with mostly French components. I paid $400.00 for the bike then. It was light weight for a steel bike, handled very well, and went very fast. I rode the bike thousands of miles over a period of 15 years, and then garaged it until 2015. I puled it out of storage last year 2015, cleaned it up, had new tires, brakes, cables, and handle bar tape installed. I also had all the bearings lubed, the gears cleaned and the derailleurs disassembled cleaned and lubed and the wheels trued. The bike is back on the road and is just as fast as I remember it. Although I'm a bit older now, I can still keep up with some of the guys with new carbon bikes! I do get some funny looks though. So that's a little bit about a Roold bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Roold Picture.jpg (46.7 KB, 838 views)
Old 05-17-16, 08:41 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothoney
I know this is a little late for this thread, but I have a Roold bike. I bought it new in 1973 and it was top of the line then. The bike was manufactured in France with mostly French components. I paid $400.00 for the bike then. It was light weight for a steel bike, handled very well, and went very fast. I rode the bike thousands of miles over a period of 15 years, and then garaged it until 2015. I puled it out of storage last year 2015, cleaned it up, had new tires, brakes, cables, and handle bar tape installed. I also had all the bearings lubed, the gears cleaned and the derailleurs disassembled cleaned and lubed and the wheels trued. The bike is back on the road and is just as fast as I remember it. Although I'm a bit older now, I can still keep up with some of the guys with new carbon bikes! I do get some funny looks though. So that's a little bit about a Roold bike.
Nice to see a thread and new post about a Roold squirrel bike, thanks for sharing!

If it is not too much trouble, would like to see more pics, some closeups maybe?

Thanks,
gbi

Last edited by gbi; 05-17-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 09:09 AM

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothoney
Vitus frame?

I remember seeing a white one in a display case, top of the line model. I think it was '71 or '72. One of the first bikes I ever heard of with this new Vitus tubing.

Hard to remember all the details but at the time it looked like a well made bike. Certainly not a bike you run into very often.
Old 05-17-16, 12:32 PM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked 4,642 Times in 1,779 Posts
Welcome to C&V, @Scothoney! Thanks for sharing that Roold. Given the relative obscurity of the brand we really welcome this entry. I'll join @gbi in asking for more and bigger pics, if it isn't too much trouble.

From the picture you posted it looks to be a touring bike in great condition. More of a civilian bike than a true racer, though, and $400 seems a trifle high for a bike with what looks like steel cranks and rims in '73. But I may be wrong, and even if I'm right and you like the bike, it means that with aluminum cranks and (especially) rims it will be even nicer.

I'm sure you get funny looks keeping up with the carbon fiber boys. They're the good kind of funny looks though, from our C&V perspective anyway. Keep that up!

Old 05-17-16, 02:10 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Strange, Roold, French?? Sounds like Dutch..... but I guess the Vitus tubing mostly confirms that it is French........
Old 05-17-16, 02:20 PM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Strange, Roold, French?? Sounds like Dutch..... but I guess the Vitus tubing mostly confirms that it is French........
Chombi, I think Roold bicycles came from Quimper, France.
Old 05-17-16, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3822 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 2,197 Posts

Roold

V46 Roold
Attached Images
Roold headplate b) .jpg (11.0 KB, 413 views)
Roold headplate .jpg (33.7 KB, 409 views)
Roold poster.jpg (31.4 KB, 406 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.