Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can I leave the Bike out in the Rain If I cover the shifters?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a cruiser that I am using for rehab and to lose weight. I also live in an apartment on the second level and carrying the bike up the stairway is killing my knee.
Anyway, if I put some plastic over the shifter levers so they won't rust can I leave this thing out in the truck. It usually rains about once per week here during the summer.

In other words what do I need to do to keep it rolling and working well?

Thanks
Old 06-08-07, 09:37 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Can you use a tarp/plastic to cover the entire bike?
That would be better. Although humidity can and will induce rust.
Keep the drivechain clean/lubed and other moving parts well lubed to help prevent rust.
Al
Old 06-08-07, 09:46 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
If you want it to keep rolling and working well you are going to need to get some type of plastic cover for the whole bike. I would be the least worried about the shifters and more worried about the drivetrain.
Old 06-08-07, 09:49 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on keeping the drivetrain lubed...

but if it's a beater for getting in shape, you'll eventually want to get rid of it when you do get in shape, and you'll end up with a lightweight piece of bling bike that will be easy to hump up the stairs...

heck, you'll probably end up looking so good, you'll then hook up with a hot-looking millionaire and will subsequently have a three-car garage with a full bike shop and stable of rides...

so my advice is to put a plastic grocery bag over the seat so your a55 doesn't get wet if you want to ride the bike right after it rains - otherwise, don't worry...

:-)

p.s. rust adds character to a well-used bike... (however, i live on a saltwater peninsula, so i use as many stainless components [chain, cable, bolts] as possible)
Old 06-09-07, 05:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a mid range beater I guess, it cost about 350.00, but I am already thinking about buying up once I lose the weight.