Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Charger for AA Batteries, Mixed, old and new

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 04:32 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have two flashlights. One I take on a trip and use for 3 hours. Another light I use for 2hours.

Is there such a charger where I can just put in all the batteries and let the charger charge everything fully, regardless if some batteries are used more than the others?
Old 10-02-07, 05:45 PM

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was searching for a charger to do this exact thing and found this among others:

https://www.greenbatteries.com/unsmbachandc.html

Definitely not the only option. There are many smart charger options from other manufacturers--maha, etc.
Old 10-02-07, 05:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or just use a cheap i.e. timer based charger, and accept the over charging.
Even high capacity AA NiMH batteries are so cheap now, you can afford to throw a set away after a years abuse.
Old 10-02-07, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have had many chargers.. This one I like the best, it has been working strong for 2 years +.. It also charges all sizes of batteries.. aa, aaa, c, d and 9 volt.. It is the same charger as listed above but 20.00 cheaper from amondotech.. Amondo also has the best prices on cr123a batteries at 1.00 each if you need them..

https://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=277

cr123a batteries: https://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=490
Old 10-02-07, 08:25 PM
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I'd recommend if you're doing only AA (and/or AAA) batteries.

Maha MH-C9000 Charger at Thomas Distributing

Here's a partial description from the site:

The MH-C9000 Wizard1 Battery Charger & Analyzer. Suitable for the casual consumer users, enthusiast and professionals, the MH-C9000 is capable of charging, conditioning, analyzing, cycling, forming and discharging one to four AA or AAA batteries, all while digitally displaying the battery capacity and voltage. All four slots can be operated independently in different modes and settings. A total of five modes are available.
Old 10-03-07, 12:48 AM
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also look at the Rayovac PS-3 charger. It can handle up to 4 different types of batteries all at the same time. Does AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V, rechargeable alkaline, NiMH, and NiCD. About $30. I'm hoping to sell mine for $20 to a coworker who is also probably going to buy my old camera... if you are interested and he doesn't decide to get it I'm willing to hold it for you. I simply don't need it because all of my rechargeables are AAA and AA and the charger that came with my Brunton Solarport (bought later) handles those.
Old 10-03-07, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kmcrawford111
Also look at the Rayovac PS-3 charger. It can handle up to 4 different types of batteries all at the same time. Does AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V, rechargeable alkaline, NiMH, and NiCD. About $30. I'm hoping to sell mine for $20 to a coworker who is also probably going to buy my old camera... if you are interested and he doesn't decide to get it I'm willing to hold it for you. I simply don't need it because all of my rechargeables are AAA and AA and the charger that came with my Brunton Solarport (bought later) handles those.
+1. I have been using one for several years that was a gift from a friend. Ray-O-Vac 1800 and 2000 capacity batteries have worked flawlessly. I have seen several recommendations for 2650? Duracells as giving great performance.
Old 10-03-07, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hitchhike here... but I have roughly the same question +1./
I want to get some rechargeable AA also maybe C batteries (what kind? I don't have a clue) and a charger but know zip about the specs and what to look for. Seemed better to ad on here and get the advice of the wise ones rather than start a whole new thread. (thanks, grun)
I don't want to spend a ton, but I am just don't like constantly throwing out the hardware store batteries any more. Does that make sense? I'm kind of put off by the $ for the chargers, though.
Old 10-03-07, 11:34 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mulchie
I want to get some rechargeable AA also maybe C batteries (what kind? I don't have a clue) and a charger but know zip about the specs and what to look for. Seemed better to ad on here and get the advice of the wise ones rather than start a whole new thread. (thanks, grun)
I don't want to spend a ton, but I am just don't like constantly throwing out the hardware store batteries any more. Does that make sense? I'm kind of put off by the $ for the chargers, though.
Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish! Look at these numbers from consumer reports. Plus the new hybrid rechargeable batteries hold their charge 4x longer than older type rechargeable batteries when not in use. Ray-O-Vac has these. I am not certain about other manufacturers.

If you get the Ray-O-Vac PS3 you have 4 compartments that can hold either 2 AA or AAA batteries or 1 C or D per compartment on trickle charge ready to go and you can mix battery sizes as long as you keep the same size battery per compartment. You can also charge the batteries that you are replacing while batteries in the other compartments remain on trickle charge. My neighbor gave me a charger as a gift when our son was born. What a savings in battery costs! We use rechargeables primarily in our digital camera and handheld scanners and toys that get constant use. With the new hybrids, you can use them in anything because they will not lose their charge when not in use.. I have 2 bicycle tail lights that I am going to buy some hybrids to use in.

Digital power

To power a digital camera, nothing beats rechargeable nickel-metal hydride batteries. One NiMH rechargeable battery would last at least as long as about 140 disposable lithium cells or 500 disposable alkalines.

Rechargeable NiMH
1.5¢ - cost per 100 photos
$3.50 - cost per battery

Disposable lithium
$1.40 - cost per 100 photos
2.50 - cost per battery

Disposable alkaline
2.20 - cost per 100 photos
1.10 - cost per battery

Rechargeable-battery cost does not include cost of charger.
Old 10-03-07, 11:39 AM
The Fenix Shillboy

Bikes: Raleigh F500 mountain bike and an exceptionally old (mid-60's) Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just don't buy a really cheap charger. For instance, those 4-packs of rechargeable batteries that come with a nearly "free" charger -- when you get home, and take the batteries out of the package and promptly throw the charger in the trash with the packaging. More often than not, they'll charge your batteries and at the same time screw up their potential lifespan with excessive overheating. And rapid chargers...use them sparingly if at all (only when absolutely needed). Just my opinions, though.

In most cases, it's better to buy your charger separate from your batteries, unless of course you buy a good charger that as a perk includes some good batteries. Don't buy batteries that have an "also included" charger.

I think it's better to invest in a better charger that will actually help prolong the life of your batteries, thus saving you money over the long haul. Essentially, this sets you up in a situation where the good quality charger pays for itself by prolonging the battery life that cheap chargers shorten (thus, cheap chargers really cost you more in the long run). But that's another one of those "just my opinion" things... (And with me, it's more than bike lights since I have a lot of camera equipment that uses rechargeable batteries, too -- so, for me a very good charger is as much a business investment as it is useful for my recreational battery needs.)

You really don't have to spend a fortune on a battery charger, but get as good of one as you feel you can afford. (I'm a big fan of the Maha/Powerex stuff.)

Last edited by varuscelli; 10-05-07 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-03-07, 11:57 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can second the good charger recommendation. I have a handheld ham radio that came with a nicad battery and walwart charger. I purchased an independent smart charger and a higher capacity nimh battery. The nimh battery turned out to be defective but the smart charger easily doubled the run time on my stock nicad that came with the radio.

Varuscelli - I have seen some mixed reviews on the older model Maha chargers on eham.net product reviews so I went with a W&W charger that is unique to ham radio. A charger is a charger so the "unique to ham radio" comment is only relevant in that the OP could not consider the W&W for his use. I use the Ray-O-Vac charger for "regular" batteries.
Old 10-03-07, 12:16 PM
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dekindy
Varuscelli - I have seen some mixed reviews on the older model Maha chargers on eham.net product reviews so I went with a W&W charger that is unique to ham radio.
I'm not really familiar with the older Maha models, but the newer ones seem to be pretty solid performers based on reviews, recommendations, and my own use.

I've been using a Maha MH-C801D (8-battery capacity for AA or AAA or mix of the two) for close to two years now and just picked up a Maha MH-C9000 a couple of weeks ago.

The Maha MH-C9000 is much more complex in its functions so it takes a bit of getting accustomed to (and does only 4 batteries at a time), but man does it do a lot -- and seems to do it very well, based on my limited use thus far. It's been amazing at analyzing old batteries so I know where I stand with them (knowing what their true capacity is, especially so I can weed out the poor performers and even try to bring some new life back into them -- something I'm experimenting with using this new charger).
Old 10-03-07, 01:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahem.... could somebody please really spell this out for me?
Maha MH-C9000? w/ what kind of batteries? Available online? Any place you recommend?
This is just greek to me.
Old 10-03-07, 01:25 PM
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahem.... could somebody please really spell this out for me?
Maha MH-C9000? w/ what kind of batteries? Available online? Any place you recommend?
This is just greek to me.
Look back up to post number 5, above. I saw the future, anticipated your question, and answered it yesterday.
Old 10-04-07, 09:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, you're good. Thanks.
Old 10-05-07, 06:19 AM
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody have any experience using the LaCrosse BC-900? Or is the Maha MH-C9000 a better charger? I want to upgrade from my cheapie Energizer charger but don't want to get all techie. I just want the charger to charge my batteries without killing them!
Old 10-05-07, 07:51 AM
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes
Anybody have any experience using the LaCrosse BC-900? Or is the Maha MH-C9000 a better charger? I want to upgrade from my cheapie Energizer charger but don't want to get all techie. I just want the charger to charge my batteries without killing them!
There are lots of people who love the LaCrosse BC-900. It's supposed to be one of the best around and when I was debating over which one to get, I almost got the BC-900 rather than the Maha MH-C9000.

However...I was a bit alarmed by some of the reports of problems that I read about with the BC-900 and occasional "meltdowns" that were occurring with the charger. Statistically speaking, I don't know what the overall significance is (frequency of occurrence, etc.), but I couldn't help but have it in the back of my mind when I was ready to make a purchase. From what I understand, the problem has been addressed by the manufacturer, but I don't have any in-depth knowledge about the fix or if the problem is recurring in current models at all (firmware fix?). And there is likely a lot more to the story that I don't know about (perhaps the issue is overrated as a true "issue," I dunno).

Do a Google search on "LaCrosse BC-900 problems" or "LaCrosse BC-900 melt" (or your own logical/creative search) and see what you get. But remember, these could all be past problems that don't apply to the latest release/most current model (again, I don't really know).

Here are some links to where the problem has been discussed:

Steve's Digicams La Crosse BC-900 Charger Warning

DPReview LaCrosse BC-900 hotest charger

Rechargeable Battery Review: LaCrosse Technology BC900 Charger Overheating

Last edited by varuscelli; 10-05-07 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-05-07, 02:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For multiple sizes, try this:
https://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-...297a32270517af

I've ordered several chargers from these guys and they are top notch. Maha chargers are just about the best.

Joe
Old 10-05-07, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sir Bikesalot
I was searching for a charger to do this exact thing and found this among others:

https://www.greenbatteries.com/unsmbachandc.html

Definitely not the only option. There are many smart charger options from other manufacturers--maha, etc.
I use that charger (re-branded as a Varta) and can say it works as advertised. I can charge different sized batteries at the same time and each has it's own smart charger circuit, so when a battery is full it cuts off the juice to that battery. All in all it's a quite good charger.
Old 10-06-07, 04:45 AM

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.imaging-resource.com/ACC1.HTM

Read the reviews here. It's an independent review site and I like their format. The features you want are 'smart' charging, trickle charge, discharge (handy aand optional), and somethign witha ready light at the bare minimum.

Sanyo Enloops can be recharged on any charger and do not need a special charger. They are next generation batteries and hold power long. A fully charged Enloop should have 85% charge left in about 6 or 12 months. To be safe I'll say 6 months as I forgot. Normal NIMH cells will be probably out of charge by then. NIMH can lose as much as 1-3%/day. In my experienceI always charge up all my cells for a rainly day or so they're at the ready then put on the charger again to top up the power then use them that day.

I echo Varus's comments on the good charger. I'm on the budget side right now and can't spring it but if I could I'd get the Lacrosse BC-900 (get the new firmware 3.xx something) which comes with a case, battery adaptors, and a set of AA/AAA batteries or the MAHA 9000. Maha is pretty much king of the field from what I see when it comes to chargers. I've been following thier products from about the 2000. Thier algorithyms (sp) and advances in the chargers are currently (if memory is correct) in the 7th generation of products so I would say they know thier stuff well.

If you want to go cheap then buy the cheap batteries but if you have a cheap charger that always cooks the cells (ie. HOT enough that you can't put on your lap while rolling the cell) you'r wasting your money. Get a good charger first. Everything else is secondary. If you can't afford a better charger now and still using a cheap charger that has smart features in it then keep a fan close by and run it on slow or on to keep the cells cool.
Old 10-06-07, 06:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm closing in. And VERY convinced by the stats above on cost per use. Thanks for all that, guys, and for the great links. But one last question if you'll bear with me....

Unlike a couple of you pros out there, I don't require the Star Wars version recharger (only use mars 3.0 and need a a small hand-held flashlight for dog walking) and so I'm thinking of one of the maha 204ws or (cheaper!) going to amondtech (which is having a significant sale )for a charger and a 3 watt LED flashlight. At amondteck I can get a charger, batteries and light for less than one top-o-de-line fenix which is probably overkill for my needs anyway.
I care about saving money here but I don't want to go *cheap* and pay in the long term. So.... When it gets right down to it is the maha worth the extra bucks? I presume if I bundle up with amondtech I can save on shipping, too.
HELP>?..
https://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-powerex-mh-c204w
https://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=277
THANKS

Last edited by mulchie; 10-06-07 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-06-07, 08:08 AM
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet I'm lost re what is the best type of battery. Nimh? Sanyo or Maha? Maybe I'm totally over thinking this but I just want to get set up right and then forget about it. This is my last expenditure.
On socalrider's advice, I picked up some of the Duracell 2650mAh rechargeable batteries maybe a month ago. I got them at a Target store on sale at maybe around $9 for four of them. I like them as probably just about the best readily available, consumer off-the-shelf rechargeable batteries out there (that is, easy to find anywhere). BUT -- "easy to find anywhere" has much less meaning with good rechargeable batteries because you won't need to replace them regularly. To me, the source is not a big deal since you don't usually need rechargeables "RIGHT NOW." If you find a set of rechargeables is no longer performing up to par, you can re-order your favorites (if you have to get them off the internet) and wait a handful of days for them to arrive (still using your available rechargeables or alkalines in their place, if need be).

I also bought a set of eight Powerex 2700mAh batteries from Thomas Distributing for about $25. I'm loving them, too. Here's link to those (mulchie, I know you already likely know where this page is):

Powerex Batteries at Thomas Distributing

For use with one flashlight that runs on two AA batteries, a four-pack would be perfect. Mulchie, my guess is that you use alkalines in your Mars 3.0 and rechargeables only in your Fenix, so a four-pack of really good rechargeables might be all you'd really need (again, just guessing).

Another thought is this (on purchasing rechargeable batteries after your first set is more or less used up). You might never purchase the same set of batteries twice, unless you're needs are like mine and you have LOTS of devices that run on rechargeables. If you use them in only one or two devices, by the time those batteries are no longer functioning at the high level they once were, the next generation of batteries will likely be available -- and your choice might not even be to go with the same brand that thrilled you with its high capacity a couple of years earlier. (Case in point, a couple of years ago, my choice was for Energizer 2500mAh rechargeable batteries. Now, even though those are still available, there are better batteries out there like the Duracells and Powerex. So, it's doubtful that for my uses I'd ever buy the Energizers again -- at least not the 2500mAh versions).
Old 10-06-07, 12:18 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by varuscelli
On socalrider's advice, I picked up some of the Duracell 2650mAh rechargeable batteries maybe a month ago.

snip
Gonna be going Maha, but combining the Eneloops from Sanyo.

How's riding with your daughter? Safe? Bright enough lights?
Old 10-06-07, 12:33 PM
The Fenix Shillboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grun
Gonna be going Maha, but combining the Eneloops from Sanyo.
Now that sounds like a pretty smart combination. I like the sound of those Eneloops from the little I've read. That ability to retain a charge sounds great, if I'm understanding correctly. I've never actually done the research on them but I think I need to take a closer look.

Originally Posted by Grun
How's riding with your daughter? Safe? Bright enough lights?
Although I don't ride much with her after dark except occasionally on sidewalk "trails" in our neighborhood, I fixed her up with a temporary helmet light the other night (one of the Fenix lights) and a handlebar light. She made for one lean, mean, 5-year-old night-ridin' machine.
Old 10-07-07, 02:05 AM

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by varuscelli
Now that sounds like a pretty smart combination. I like the sound of those Eneloops from the little I've read. That ability to retain a charge sounds great, if I'm understanding correctly. I've never actually done the research on them but I think I need to take a closer look.

Although I don't ride much with her after dark except occasionally on sidewalk "trails" in our neighborhood, I fixed her up with a temporary helmet light the other night (one of the Fenix lights) and a handlebar light. She made for one lean, mean, 5-year-old night-ridin' machine.
Varus,

You should get some pics of you and your daughter riding. I want to check out her 'pimped' out ride. LOL. Sorry for using that word. It's so over used now a days. See if she'll let you wrap the LED rope around the bike and then clamp a battery onto her bike. Try and convince her with something like it'll help TinkerBell find her so she'll keep it on and give you more peace of mind that people will see her while riding seeing how she is a smaller size on the road.

This is probably what you want to checkout. https://www.eneloop.info/218.html

Quick info for those that don't want to click the link basically in 6 months you get ~90% life left. 1yr you get ~85% life left.

This batter can be charged in any charger. Personally I'd charge it in a Maha charger. Sold as 2/4/8 sets. The AA's are 2000mA and the AAA are 800mA.

More info here to check thier specs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.