Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

is there any problem packing c02 cartridges for flying?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 09:41 PM
JuNKie! bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

might be a stupid question but I'm fly in to toronto with my bike and was wondering if there is any issue packing c02 refills with my bike?

cargo is pressurized correct?
they won't blow up and scratch my frame ....most importantly?
customs won't give me any hassel?
stupid question maybe but better safe .......
Old 10-03-07, 09:58 PM
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not allowed on board or in your checked luggage.
the only exception is if they're part of a self-inflating lifejacket.
Old 10-03-07, 10:00 PM
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by baxtefer
It always amazes me when people around here know the answers to completely random questions.
Old 10-03-07, 10:02 PM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was told the opposite(by USAir/United) last may. I packed them with my bike and had no problems.
Old 10-03-07, 10:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The pressure in your carbon dioxide cartidges are in the couple of thousands of pounds per square inch range. Atmospheric pressure is about 15 pounds per square inch, meaning, even if you go from sea level to outer space, you will only see about a 15psi drop in pressure.

So to answer your question, do you think your CO2 cartridge will mind holding in X,000 psi vs. X,015 psi?

Given this knowledge, one can also figure out whether one needs to "bleed off" the tires on a bike prior to loading on an airplane, regardless of whether the cargo compartment is pressurized.

Regardless, with air travel being such a hassle these days, it would be prudent to check with your favourite airline to determine if these are really air-transportable, even if they are technically so.
Old 10-03-07, 10:08 PM
JuNKie! bike junkie!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Fly
The pressure in your carbon dioxide cartidges are in the couple of thousands of pounds per square inch range. Atmospheric pressure is about 15 pounds per square inch, meaning, even if you go from sea level to outer space, you will only see about a 15psi drop in pressure.

So to answer your question, do you think your CO2 cartridge will mind holding in X,000 psi vs. X,015 psi?

Given this knowledge, one can also figure out whether one needs to "bleed off" the tires on a bike prior to loading on an airplane, regardless of whether the cargo compartment is pressurized.

Regardless, with air travel being such a hassle these days, it would be prudent to check with your favourite airline to determine if these are really air-transportable, even if they are technically so.
uuummm so yes its ok and I don't need to let the air out of my tires?

hey man I can lift heavy thing but......
Old 10-03-07, 10:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not allowed, unless you can take off the valves. when i travel with my paintball gun, my co2/n2 tanks had their valves removed before i was allowed on the plane with it.
Old 10-03-07, 10:10 PM
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just check the TSA website
Old 10-04-07, 04:16 AM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just check the TSA website
Friends did that when we went to Scotland recently. Still wouldn't let them take the CO2, they had to dump it at the airport. YMMV.

Also, I never deflate my tires, but then I'm traveling with a mountain bike and they are at 30psi.
Old 10-04-07, 04:50 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rather than deal with the potential hassle, wouldn't it be easier to pick up a couple at the local sporting goods store?
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 10-04-07, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 cartriges may be installed in a PFD, and 2 spares are allowd to be carried onto an airplane. So maybe you could take 2 with you.
Old 10-04-07, 06:19 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
Rather than deal with the potential hassle, wouldn't it be easier to pick up a couple at the local sporting goods store?
+1. Especially with the arbitrary and inconsistent manner the TSA operates nowadays, better to play it safe and not waste time and money.
Old 10-04-07, 07:31 AM
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dobber
I visited a friend in Millington TN, there wasn't a bike shop within 50 miles of her house. Wal-Mart didn't sell the threaded type that I use.

When I asked the people at Wally World bike dept, "where is the closest bike shop" they just shrugged their shoulders.

When I asked "where are the childrens guns" they pointed to the back of the store. Very disturbing.
Old 10-04-07, 07:33 AM
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Fly

That plane that went down in the everglades about a decade back did so because of burst oxygen canisters that one could presumably apply the same logic too.

While in theory the pressure difference shouldn't effect the cartridge, there are other factors like rough handling in baggage, extreme temperature ranges, or manufacturing defects that could compromise the strength. Considering that one of those bursting would be like a little bomb, I can see why the TSA would rather play it safe and not allow them.
Old 10-04-07, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience, fwiw:

- From 1993-1996, I flew with C02 cartridges in my checked luggage (and maybe carry-on, can't recall) numerous times within the U.S. and Europe. No problems.
- In 1996, when moving back to States, I had a layover in Copenhagen. Before boarding, I hear an announcement over the PA system calling my name. I go up to the counter, and two Danish cops say they need to look in my luggage. "Do you have any gas in your suitcase?" I'm utterly confused, then it hits me - the CO2. I rooted around in my bag, handed over 4-5 cartridges, and was on my way. Have not flown with the suckers since then.
Old 10-04-07, 08:58 AM
BFSSFG old timer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
I visited a friend in Millington TN, there wasn't a bike shop within 50 miles of her house. Wal-Mart didn't sell the threaded type that I use.
This is why pumps rule.
Old 10-04-07, 09:01 AM
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Online retailers, such as Performance and Competitive Cyclist will only ship CO2 via ground.
Old 10-04-07, 11:05 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I fly with a bike perhaps 30 round trips a year. CO2 cartridges never make it through security. If they're in a checked bike bag, your bag gets opened and they (and whatever else might disturb a low-wage inspector) get removed. It doesn't matter what your excuse or rationale, or even being able to quote TSA regs if they say otherwise -- every time I've forgotten and had one in a bag or on a bike, it gets confiscated. Just buy a frame pump and use it when you travel if you can't find CO2 cartridges. I have a back-up CO2 unit that will take the non-threaded cartridges for BB guns and there's no part of America more than twenty miles from a WalMart with a nicely stocked gun section at the back. In a pinch, it works. But still I keep the frame pump in my bike case. If nothing else, you do need to pump up tires from time to time.
Old 10-04-07, 11:32 AM
señor member

Bikes: Malvern Path Racer, Schwinn LeTour, Follis, Bridgestone 400 (RIP), concord 2sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
+1. Especially with the arbitrary and inconsistent manner the TSA operates nowadays, better to play it safe and not waste time and money.
Seriously. I think it all depends on the airport. I've had stuff that wasn't up to snuff allowed at some airports and taken away at others. If you have enough time, you could always order some online and have them sent to your hotel or wherever you are staying (keep in mind they ship ground).
Old 10-04-07, 12:24 PM
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 11.4
Just buy a frame pump and use it when you travel if you can't find CO2 cartridges.
This makes entirely too much sense
Old 10-04-07, 04:53 PM
JuNKie! bike junkie!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so I just unpacked my bike they took my c02 refills and my campy pedals clips and toshi straps!
Old 10-04-07, 04:56 PM
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sniks
so I just unpacked my bike they took my c02 refills and my campy pedals clips and toshi straps!
sketch.
Old 10-04-07, 05:05 PM
Wolfman got nards!

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Volpe, '09 Mercier Kilo TT, '08 Jamis Exile 29er

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniks
That's ****ed up. Time to file a complaint. And wait a long time for nothing to happen.

Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. –Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 10-05-07, 12:13 AM
JuNKie! bike junkie!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ****ing around.
all my c02s made it and so did my pedals.
Old 10-05-07, 02:07 AM
Brakeless

Bikes: Brew, Felt TK2, Masi Coltello, and Unknown French Frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know when you bought your ticket how you talked to a lady. You shouldve asked her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.