Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Thinking about purchasing rollers

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well, first ride with my college club wasn't too bad, but i really want to be up in the front so im going to get serious about training now.

A buddy in th group said rollers will really help my technique (i just started this past summer, but i've been a marathon runner, varsity soccer, cross country, and tennis player, so i have the athleticism down). I didn't really realize there was so much technique involved in cycling.

Anyways, my main question is, what should i look for when buying rollers? I am in college and have a limited budget, but i don't want anything crappy, just a solid setup.

I was thinking about getting these
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=19548

ps- should i try my first ride without being clipped in? it looks damn hard, i can't even ride without my hands, i dont know if i could fathom riding rollers with no hands, I'll work my way up though

I want to be able to do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wME5NTriTco
but i don't want to look like that... just be able to do that on rollers. I see people playing wii and stuff on their rollers as well, i need to get goin on this whole thing so i can do that too
Old 10-30-07, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your balance obviously needs work. Why don't you learn to ride no-handed on the road before you buy rollers?
Old 10-30-07, 04:00 PM

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it is a good way to get a crash course...

Keep at it if you do decide right now, but I'd wait a while. It is something to definitely do though. If you do, practice in a door frame. I'd say initial sessions of 20 minutes or so. It will help, but you will probably be a little discouraged at first.
Old 10-30-07, 04:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how are the rollers off the link i posted??? anything in particular i should look for in rollers?
Old 10-30-07, 07:10 PM
R900Campagnolo

Bikes: track and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get the aluminium nashbar rollers for 90$.
if you got to much money kreitler rollers are the best but cost 400$+.
do not buy pvc. make sure the cups aren't plastic.
smaller diameter offers little more resistance then bigger.
Old 10-30-07, 07:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Maybe you should start with a used trainer first before the rollers. There are various drills you can do on trainer that you may not be able to do on rollers, e.g., using one leg at at time that will build your technique. Unless you're waay north, you should be able to continue to ride throughout most of the winter, and riding is better than anything else. Good luck, and have fun. Throw up a post from time to time with your experiences.
Old 10-30-07, 07:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Maybe you should start with a used trainer first before the rollers. There are various drills you can do on trainer that you may not be able to do on rollers, e.g., using one leg at at time that will build your technique. Unless you're waay north, you should be able to continue to ride throughout most of the winter, and riding is better than anything else. Good luck, and have fun. Throw up a post from time to time with your experiences.
i've been using my dad's old trainer and it's working well. I've been doing one leg exercises but not as hard as i probably should be to be in racing condition.

thanks for the insight, ill start going a bit harder on the trainer!!! Save the rollers for next winter i geuss.
Old 10-30-07, 08:50 PM

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the performance rollers. they work fine. I would love the kreitlers, but...
Old 10-30-07, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance rollers are fine. And don't listen to these naysayers. I got a set of rollers like a month after my first road bike. My balance sucked (although I can ride no hands). It was frustrating at first to get the hang of them but it didnt take too long.

-D
Old 10-30-07, 10:28 PM
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Although aluminium rollers can be more expensive, they are much harder wearing and are usually better made than those made from plastic. You tend to get what you pay for, so the more expensive rollers are likely to have better bearings and better quality (more rigid, and more hard-wearing) frames.

You will notice that even the slightest tread on the tyres will make riding the rollers very noisy, so slicks inflated to the max will not only provide a nice low rolling-resistance, but also ensure a nice quiet comfortable experience when on the rollers.

I hope this helps -

- Wil
Old 10-31-07, 12:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm, now im considering getting them again!!! I'm going to see if i can borrow a buddies first and see how i like it.
Old 10-31-07, 06:14 AM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Borrow some if you can, or look at your local craigslist or post on your local craigslist. Used rollers are everywhere. I bought mine for 50 dollars and had probably 5 responses on the first day alone and I had to drive 45 miles to get them, but I live in a small town and had to go to a city to get them.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 10-31-07, 10:13 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Buy the rollers. I've had a set of the PVC Performance rollers for, what is it now, 12 years? I have many thousands of miles on them. I also purchased a Performance fluid resistance unit that bolts onto them. That has also been great, but I don't know if Performance still sells anything like that. You might have to call their tech support. There's nothing like rollers. There are many threads here describing how to get used to them.
Old 10-31-07, 04:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've decided to go with the aluminum rollers i posted, going to try to call them tomorrow and check it out.

I'll keep everyone posted on how the training goes, thanks again!