Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wind/mag/liquid trainers

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wind/mag/liquid trainers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 08:56 PM
Rail Trailer

Bikes: Trek 7500, Trek 1000c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Wind/mag/liquid trainers

OK, I am sorry if there's been a long thread on this in the past. I did a search and found nothing. I also hope this is the right place to post this. Admins, feel free to move if it's not.

I am looking into Wind/mag/liquid trainer... I am training up for my first Century, and think getting a trainer will help when I only have time late at night... and to be more accurate with interval training. So....

Any suggestions? Wind, Magnetic, Liquid, what's the difference? Brands you like? I want to keep it in the $100-$300 range as it'll be a present (hopefully! ) and I don't want to break the bank.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-12-07, 11:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Search "Kurt Kinetic" or "1UP" on these forums. "Kurt Kinetic" hits 142 threads in last year with over 12 relevant threads by the second page when I stopped counting.
Old 11-16-07, 10:09 AM
Rail Trailer

Bikes: Trek 7500, Trek 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks Giro, will do!
Old 11-16-07, 10:20 AM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I did not ride a wind trainer when I was shopping. Rode Fluid and Mag units by Cyclops. Ended up with a Cyclops Mag + to save a bit of money and wish I would have gone with a Fluid now. Probably going to send the resistance unit in to exchange. The magnetic lets you set a level of resistance, but is not as realistic feeling as the fluid trainers.

Also, see if they have a trainer you can take home and ride at your place to make sure that it is not too noisy. What sounded quiet in the LBS sounds loud in my den when the kids are sleeping. I have to make sure not to ride too hard on the trainer as the harder you ride, the louder it gets.

Hope this helps some.