Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Galaxy Bikes ???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Galaxy Bikes ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 02:14 PM
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Galaxy Bikes ???

Anyone ever heard of Galaxy bicycles. I spotted one at a thrift store and can't find out anything on them. This looks to be late 70's or early 80's. It is a 10 spd. with Sunrace deraulliers. I think they wanted 15 bucks for it. Did'nt look like anything special, but I've never seen one..
Old 11-28-07, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
bike

it might be a Huffy or a Dawes, what does the headbadge (if it has one) look like?
Old 11-28-07, 02:42 PM
WV is not flat..

Originally Posted by terrors
it might be a Huffy or a Dawes, what does the headbadge (if it has one) look like?
I did'nt take a real good look at it,but it was gold with Galaxy Par Excellence on it. It was a separate badge and not a sticker. It also had a "Made in Taiwan" sticker on the seatpost.
Old 11-28-07, 03:03 PM

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by terrors
I think it is a Dawes.
Old 11-28-07, 03:13 PM

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it look like this?
https://velospace.org/node/6499

If so it was probably a Dawes Galaxy

Mine is an '89 model AFAIK

[any chance to share pictures of my bike]
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 11-28-07, 04:21 PM
WV is not flat..

04jtb, It did'nt look like that, it had stem shifters and had Galaxy written on the downtube. I think Chuck is right. It is more than likely a lower end bike. I think I'll let it go. I might just have to use it for a blanket if the wife see's me bringing another fixer-upper home. It is in pretty great shape, someone kept it clean. What is the quality of the Sunrace components? I've never used them.
Old 11-28-07, 04:38 PM
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
04jtb, It did'nt look like that, it had stem shifters and had Galaxy written on the downtube. I think Chuck is right. It is more than likely a lower end bike. I think I'll let it go. I might just have to use it for a blanket if the wife see's me bringing another fixer-upper home. It is in pretty great shape, someone kept it clean. What is the quality of the Sunrace components? I've never used them.
I would stay clear of anything resembling the L.A Galaxy or being in any way sounding like it. They suck! As for the bike; I have no idea. Yeah, yeah, they have Beckham but so what.
Old 11-28-07, 04:44 PM
WV is not flat..

Originally Posted by gr23932
I would stay clear of anything resembling the L.A Galaxy or being in any way sounding like it. They suck! As for the bike; I have no idea. Yeah, yeah, they have Beckham but so what.

That's great and being a soccer coach it's even more fitting....Go DC United !!!
Old 11-29-07, 06:30 AM
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
That's great and being a soccer coach it's even more fitting....Go DC United !!!

What you really meant to say was that you are a Football coach and that you are a Manchester United FC fan. The MLS still doesn't warrant acknowledgement of its existence.
Old 11-30-07, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I've seen dozens of these around Houston. They're made to look like a nice bike, as long as you're 30-40 feet away. Most of them are red with gold graphics, cheesy braze ons, and steel raleigh sports looking stem. Stamped drops of course. I would let it sit there.,,,,BD
Old 11-30-07, 07:08 AM
WV is not flat..

Originally Posted by Bikedued
I've seen dozens of these around Houston. They're made to look like a nice bike, as long as you're 30-40 feet away. Most of them are red with gold graphics, cheesy braze ons, and steel raleigh sports looking stem. Stamped drops of course. I would let it sit there.,,,,BD
That's exactly what it is. I think it is gone. Hopefully picked up by someone who wants to start into cycling. Yep sometimes it's best to let them sit. If I'm going to struggle to find a place in the basement to put it I'm going to make sure it's worth it.
Old 03-09-09, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey there everyone, I'm new to this and I think I may have gotten ripped off today... I was looking to buy a bike, and I really wanted one. I saw this one on craigslist that looked really nice, it seems to ride pretty good and it's in really good condition. The guy said he rebuilds bikes n all that..but then he was a lil weird about me paying and leaving. anyhow I paid $80 for this galaxy II, which I didn;t see unitl I got home is made in Korea. True there's nothing about them online at all. I wish I had found this posting sooner...I feel kinda sad, but at the same time it is in nearly perfect condition. What do y'all think?

Last edited by Soleiloquy; 03-12-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 04:11 PM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it's in good shape, fits, is your only bike, and you will ride it it's worth the $80.

Granted not that long ago $80 for a low end enty level bike made in Korea would have been way too much, but the market has done strange things. You may have over paid, but it wasn't astronomical.

Ride it and enjoy. There are always other bikes at later times.
Old 03-09-09, 10:03 PM
WV is not flat..

Yep, If it rides nice..Ride the wheels off of it. I haven't had any luck with finding anything under $100 here lately and the thrift stores haven't had anything. Post some pics if you can.
Old 03-09-09, 11:26 PM
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I picked one of those up with that exact description from salvation army a few months ago for $3.50. I wouldnt have likely bothered, even at that price, aside from the fact that it was NOS still with the bubble wrap on the frame and nothing had been hooked up or adjusted made it kind of cool. Otherwise it looked like a total POS, very poorly made. But, I ended up selling it on ebay for a decent return.
Old 03-10-09, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Honestly you'd either have to give me one free, or pay me to take it.,,,,BD
Old 03-12-09, 01:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hahahhaha now that is funny...

well chuck, what are the chances you'd reply to this post?, Are you serious,about taking it back? cuz I'd probably take you up on that... wow what a small world though, that's ironic in a cool way...lol
Old 03-12-09, 01:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and that is the bike in the picture up there...
Old 03-12-09, 02:31 PM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Just a reality check, this being the small world that it is. If you didn't use the internet and hadn't found this site with this 2007 thread in it, would you be happy with the bike at the price you paid for it?

Sounds like it is a functional bike in road/commuter worthy condition. If you took it in to a local shop to get it worked on after having found it for under $20 you'd probably have well over that $80 into it by now. I don't think you got ripped, but if the seller above is willing to take it back then you've got an easy out and have learned a little more about what you want in a bicycle.

And with this being the small connected community that it is I might suggest editing your original post to remove the rippage and replace it with something along the lines of "... I just bought a bike but think I want something more upscale now ...". Just a thought. I'm sure the seller could find you something else more to your liking.
Old 03-12-09, 03:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate your desire to give me a "reality check", I have considered that ignorance may have been bliss in this case, though if I had learned the "hard" way, as in the middle of riding it, that it's not what I'm looking for in a bike, I would have been much more disappointed.

Hmmm..well, to be clear, not knowing much about bikes, I did my best to research this bicycle before and after I purchased it, which after a lot of looking and dead ends brought me to this 2 yr old thread, quite literally the only thing online about them.

I clearly stated my lack of knowledge and said "may" have gotten ripped off, if someone wants to find a problem where there isn't any, I cannot help that. I could have left out the line "The guy said he rebuilds bikes n all that..but then he was a lil weird about me paying and leaving." because I was disappointed and my statement implies this may have been because he was trying to "scam" me, it could have just as well been because he was busy working on something. Yet considering that the person I was talking about poked fun at this comment above, and seems totally cool about the situation, I don't think that I will edit my posting. Additionally my statement did not disclose the identity of anyone, and if chuck wished to remain anonymous he easily could have done so.

I was disappointed to learn that what I thought was a great bike was considered a "pos" by those who know a heck of a lot more than I do. Though I am grateful for this forum, as I would be a heck of a lot more disappointed if I had like I said, i found out at an inopportune moment. Further more, this has been a great education, and I have learned that I should educate myself a little more before making a purchase, i.e. gone to the local bike shop and asked around, etc.

It is a fine bike for someone who wants a super cool "looking" vintage bike in good condition, that rides to the grocery store and back. I'd like something a little more long term. For my budget I splurged, and spent more than I really should have, only to find this thread, I think anyone could understand that.

Lastly, I just really feel like we should be able to be ourselves online, I'm not some hyper pc person who is going to tip toe around so everyone has warm fuzzy feelings all the time, I was disappointed, I don't feel that was out of line, I'm not going to edit everything I say, I told the truth, it was my truth at the time, it was clearly not malicious. Anyone who reads this will hopefully read the whole thread and not make some ridiculous conclusions about chuck based on one sentence out of context.

-peace and thx for all of the awesome input...

Last edited by Soleiloquy; 03-12-09 at 03:48 PM. Reason: editing
Old 03-12-09, 03:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW TXVintage, thank you so much for your response, it was really helpful and just what I needed to hear at the time and totally true, and to chuck for showing up and saying you'd take it back, just goes to show that you're awesome.
Old 04-20-14, 10:32 PM

Bikes: Galaxy II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this what you're talking about? I Recently bought this without knowing anything about it. I just wanted to get into Road bikes and I thought this one looked pretty good.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0959[1].jpg (98.4 KB, 211 views)
IMG_0974[1].jpg (103.4 KB, 197 views)
Old 04-26-14, 11:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Gents,

First time posting, just found the forum. I'm not a bike expert, but I can fix about anything. I am an aspiring bike enthusiast, I guess. I picked up a mid to late 90's LOOK carbon fiber for my road bike (with some newer components). The frame is about 5 cm too big but good enough to see if I am serious about biking.

Back on topic... I made an impulse craigs list buy last weekend. It is a Galaxy road bike, made in Taiwan. I'm guessing late 80's? If anyone can help with the relative year of manufacture I'd appreciate it. Early 80's?

The only effort I've put in is new bar tape, swapped out the pedals, put in a different saddle, and replaced a crank cotter pin. I paid $60 but am OK with the price since I found the frame size I need for a spinning bike. I might one day replace the bottom bracket and crankset. This frame is heavy.

Why are the cranks so much shorter than on current bikes (~1")?

Cheers,
Jeff
Louisville, CO
Attached Images
IMG_3991.jpg (100.6 KB, 205 views)
Old 04-27-14, 01:07 AM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Hello Jeff, welcome! Those cranks don't look particularly short. How long are they?

Old 04-27-14, 12:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I measured the cranks at 165 mm. My other bikes are 175 mm, and I noticed my wife's mtn bike is 170mm. So about 3/4" difference in overall diameter.

Will have to ride both for a while to compare how I feel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.