Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bob Mitchell Track Frame -- ANYONE HAVE INFO?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I just picked up a Bob Mitchell track frame on ebay and was looking for some insight as to who Bob Mitchell is and what he's all about. I cannot find ANYTHING except for a bike shop called Bob Mitchell cycles in the UK, which is where the frame came from. There are no links, only an international #. If you know of this framebuilder, let me know! Oh, and a pic for good measure.

Old 01-23-08, 05:57 PM
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No offense, but if you don't know anything about it, why are you about to pick it up?

If someone is willing to put their name on a frame, it's generally a sign that it's decent. If it's decent tubing and doesn't look completely destroyed, you should be happy with it.
Old 01-23-08, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uh, how about he liked how it looked but didnt know anything about the maker/rider? no offense, jerkoff.
Old 01-23-08, 07:05 PM

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by singurlifeman
uh, how about he liked how it looked but didnt know anything about the maker/rider? no offense, jerkoff.
it's called wallet tuning
Old 01-23-08, 07:12 PM
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by singurlifeman
Can't polish a turd. I'd rather have an ugly ass bike that rode well than a great looking frame that rode like crap. I realize that kind of goes against everything this forum stands for, but feel free to call me a jerkoff again if it'll make you feel better about yourself.
Old 01-23-08, 09:13 PM
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can tell you that Corby, where Bob Mitchell cycles are based, is a pretty small town and I'm guessing that Bob Mitchell cycles didn't make the bike; they sponsor a small team of racers and I'd guess this frame is just painted in their colours.

If you don't feel like phoning they do have an address and you could write to them:

Bob Mitchell Cycles, 80-82 Rockingham Road, Corby Northamptonshire NN17 1AE

Bet they'd be pretty happy to tell you something about the frame.

The other option would be to pop a post on https://www.londonfgss.com or on https://www.bikeradar.com. The former is the london fixed gear forums but folks are there from all over the UK. The later is a website run by Britains largest bike magazine and will definitely have folks from Corby on it.

Worth a shot.
Old 01-23-08, 10:04 PM
I_luv_hooters

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by crushkilldstroy
No offense, but if you don't know anything about it, why are you about to pick it up?
Well I didnt know much about the last 2 frames i bought either. I certainly didnt ride them first. Sometimes on ebay you just take a chance because the price is unbelievable. On my spicer I found out I didnt like it and I ended up selling it to my LBS. Now MarqueeMoon is building it and talking about it here.

Old 01-23-08, 10:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the "built by someone else (probably an English builder) for the shops team" opinion.
Old 01-24-08, 12:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah man, thanks for all the help guys, I'll definately call bob up soon. Oh, and I paid 300 for it, so like he said, you gotta have faith sometimes. I'm sure it will ride well, I've had keirin frames, bareknuckle, an iro, a gitane, and an old Andre bertin, all track. I didn't just get on ebay and foolishly buy some frame, I've been camping for a deal like this for a long time... Thanks again, I'll post pics when its built. I got some campy atlanta 96's laced to phils waiting for this bike. And I sourced a NOS shimano 600 stem (made by nitto in 83-84, the one with the hidden clamp bolt). period correct and so fresh.
Old 01-24-08, 12:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha I'm on my iPhone and realized everything I wrote was like 6 word sentences. Oh, and "wallet tuning"? Come on.
Old 01-24-08, 01:23 AM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_luv_hooters
Well I didnt know much about the last 2 frames i bought either. I certainly didnt ride them first. Sometimes on ebay you just take a chance because the price is unbelievable. On my spicer I found out I didnt like it and I ended up selling it to my LBS. Now MarqueeMoon is building it and talking about it here.
I hope you wiped your cooties off after you removed the decals.

Meh. I'm not expecting anything great - just something that fits a bit better I can throw my parts on.

I don't suppose you still have a 26.8 seatpost around...?
Old 01-24-08, 01:27 AM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brownevan
I'm on my iPhone
"wallet tuning"? Come on.

It looks like a nice frame. If it is, enjoy it. If it's not I sure some other sucker will take it off your hands.
Old 01-24-08, 03:34 AM
never eaten better listen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well, it is a lugged columbus frame, presumably in his size...
Old 01-24-08, 03:39 AM
never eaten better listen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
edit: nm.

Last edited by jodypolk; 01-24-08 at 03:45 AM. Reason: wrong?
Old 01-24-08, 01:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol i bought my iphone off the street for 130 bucks. So.... who knows where the **** it came from but I don't really care. Being able to monitor your ebay watched items on the go is really nice. Placing bids from the bus or coffee shop is nice also. Haha if you think i'm a wallet tuner, i guess I can live with that. I like lugged columbus steel frames. I also like phones that i can browse the web, listen to music, and talk on. Sorry. As far as me making an uninformed purchase, I have been working in the bicycle industry for years, and am currently working for a certain headset manufacturer you all know. I know my stuff, and any columbus lugged track frame is going to ride better then your moms Iro, pake, pista, etc. I am somewhat of a lurker around these parts (bikeforums) but all the information is great guys, thanks.

Last edited by brownevan; 01-25-08 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bob mitchell track frame

Hey guys, I just picked up a Bob Mitchell track frame on ebay and was looking for some insight as to who Bob Mitchell is and what he's all about. I cannot find ANYTHING except for a bike shop called Bob Mitchell cycles in the UK, which is where the frame came from. There are no links, only an international #. If you know of this framebuilder, let me know! Oh, and a pic for good measure.

hi does your frame have a serial no under the bb asi built frames for bob for a few years