Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squeak in the drive train. What to check?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About three days ago I started noticing a squeak (definitely hadn’t been there the previous day) that seems to be somewhere in the drive train (only seems to squeak while the pedals and gears are in rotation maybe every 5-6 strokes..) I’ve lubed the chain, checked the derailleur, and even took it in to the local store. They weren’t able to find anything while it was on the stand. I also thought about my shoe cleats since I’ve heard Look cleats are notorious for causing squeaks. However, it sounds more like a metal on metal type of squeak. I haven’t been able to isolate the location of the noise (front or back). Any other ideas on what to check before finding a way to live with it?
Old 09-27-03, 01:58 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easiest way to eliminate your cleats/pedals woudl be to put on normal shoes and ride around the neighberhood and see if it still there. Atleast then that would be eliminated it.
Old 09-27-03, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried that and i couldn't really hear anything. Then I came back and put on my cleats, but still didn't notice anything. I'll try the other set of cleats I have I suppose.
Old 09-27-03, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked for a tight link before but couldn't find one. I'm pretty new at this, what's the pulley wheel? Is it that little "cog" underneath the rear derailleur?

edit: I went for a total cleaning tonight. Everything was rinsed off and throughly cleaned, then lubed. Hopefully tomorrow the ride will be squeakless

Last edited by BigFloppyLlama; 09-27-03 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 06:55 AM
Village Idiot

Bikes: '02 Giant OCR3 and an '02 Giant Rincon - yeah, I know!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar problem with an enexplainable squeek, and it turned out to be what resident suggested - dry pulley wheels (the little cogs under the derailler). I just dropped some lube where the wheel spins around the "axle" (if anybody knows a better way to word this, please!) Anyway, that cleared it all up. Good luck!
Old 09-29-03, 06:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after a thorough cleaning and re oiling everything the squeak went away. For maybe 10 minutes that is. Whatever it's coming from, it's getting more frequent. I’ll probably get another tune up sometime soon, so I’ll just have the store look at it then. Thanks for your help anyways.
Old 10-06-03, 07:18 PM
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

Bikes: Surly 1x1 Xtracycle, '01 Haro Flair Dave Mirra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a squeek...it really bugged me.
one shop i brought it to, after taking everything related to the driveline apart, said it happens sometimes (squeeking). i did NOT like that answer. i brought the bike to another shop (One on One in Minneapolis), and the great folks there found and fixed the problem in less than 5 min. i had one loose chainring bolt.
Old 10-06-03, 08:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by new_dharma
i had a squeek...it really bugged me.
one shop i brought it to, after taking everything related to the driveline apart, said it happens sometimes (squeeking). i did NOT like that answer. i brought the bike to another shop (One on One in Minneapolis), and the great folks there found and fixed the problem in less than 5 min. i had one loose chainring bolt.
Well, it turned out to be an ungreased chain. No idea how it got to that point since I regrease every week. All fixed up and riding smooth now though Thanks for your help though, I'll be sure to check the things you mentioned if I ever experience another squeak.
Old 10-06-03, 09:24 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell me that you mistyped when you said that you grease your chain. Grease is not chain lube
Old 10-06-03, 09:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Please tell me that you mistyped when you said that you grease your chain. Grease is not chain lube
Ah, I did. I use chain lube, not grease. I couldn't think of the correct word at the time. But I'm definitely not lathering it with grease, just pro link
Old 10-08-03, 10:12 AM
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so did you or did you not actually lube your chain before all of this? Maybe you should change lubes.