Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

My hand & foot recumbent trike.

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 06:04 PM

Bikes: CUSTOM BIKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I first collected the data to create my own hand and foot powered bicycle, I realized the followings:
As we can notice that human beings who walk erect are slower in walking than animals which walk with four legs, I found that a bicycle which is powered by hands and feet is much faster than a bicycle which is powered by only feet. So, I noticed that I need to create a bicycle which people can exercise their whole bodies with.

https://blog.naver.com/cjm6394/70029571364
Old 05-06-08, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
While you're right about humans not being the fastest animals on the planet, adding power from the upper body does not increase the power available. The muscles in the legs and glutes are our largest, strongest muscles. An athlete can max out his aerobic capacity using only his legs; so using additional muscle groups to generate power will decrease the wattage available to the legs by an equal amount.

Interestingly, a trained human runner can run a horse to death. The horse is faster, but must rest between sprints while the human draws closer and closer. The race doesn't always go to the swift.
Old 05-10-08, 06:49 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have an inventive machine. I think you are on the right track in suggesting it for exercise rather than transportation. It might, though, be useful to a person with limited leg strength who still wants to get around under his/her own power.
Old 01-18-12, 09:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What has your research turned up?

Can't help but feel that some innovative trike manufacturer has produces a similar trike commercially. An encounter with a steep hill should make the dual propulsion shine especially when the steep hills are numerous.
Old 01-18-12, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

I'm not aware of any commercially-produced trikes which use both arm and leg drives. But I'm pretty sure it's been done in a custom situation, and probably often. It wouldn't be hard at all to add the second drive to a standard trike; it would just involve welding an additional tube or two for the hand cranks, then adding the appropriate tandem-derived hardware to meld the two transmissions.
Old 01-18-12, 10:59 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm not aware of any commercially-produced trikes which use both arm and leg drives. But I'm pretty sure it's been done in a custom situation, and probably often. It wouldn't be hard at all to add the second drive to a standard trike; it would just involve welding an additional tube or two for the hand cranks, then adding the appropriate tandem-derived hardware to meld the two transmissions.
Lightfoot does this: https://lightfootcycles.com/products-...-crank-module/ modification for any of their trikes.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-19-12, 06:48 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Innovative design for sure. Reminds me of the StreetStrider. Now that's a workout!
Old 01-19-12, 07:12 PM

Good catch Jeff.