Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hand Signals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hand Signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 03:31 PM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hand Signals

OK, I'll admit that I'm not terribly diligent about signaling, but listen to this:

I'm out for a "Dawn Patrol" ride this morning. I am approaching a side street where I want to make a left turn and I am about in the middle of the travel lane. I look into my mirror and notice that a car is approaching from behind. I figure that I'd better let the driver know why I am not going to move out of his way and give him the lane. So I stick out my left paw and point at the approaching intersection. Apparently the driver thinks that I am waiving him around so he pulls into the oncoming lane to pass me (It was about 6:15 am so there wasn't any traffic). Good thing that I was watching him 'cause I merely had to slow down and let him by, but...

In this case, signaling did no good whatsoever.

What did I do wrong? Should I not have pointed? Is there some better signal to indicate "Hey I am about to turn right THERE"?

I had a hand signal for him after he started passing but I didn't use it...
Old 05-14-08, 03:33 PM

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, Peugeot PX10E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might have been that 9mm in your hand.
1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer (bought new)
1982 Peugeot PH19 Mixte
1989 Novara Aspen
Old 05-14-08, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
There is no adequate hand signal in that particular situation because there is no cure for stupidity. Sometimes you have to provide all of the intelligence which you did by watching the moron.
Old 05-14-08, 04:36 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The proper hand signal for a left turn is to stick your arm straight out to the left, not pointing ahead to the intersection you're approaching. It sounds like you gave a confusing signal. But then, people are not used to seeing hand signals anymore, and it's possible that the driver would have misinterpreted anything you might have done.
Old 05-14-08, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, Giant FCR2, Surly LHT, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The driver who hits you may get a ticket for improper traffic behavior. You get the hospital bill. I never assume that anybody knows what I'm going to do (although I do use the clearest, most standard signals I know), and always assume that everybody is both deaf and blind. I don't want to be in the right and injured/dead.

Good riding--you avoided a nasty by attending to the lack of attending by the driver.

Cheers!
2007 Giant FCR2W (stoker's commuter)
1980's NOS Legnano (stoker's toy)
1970's Stella rebuilt as fixed-gear (captain's toy)
Old 05-14-08, 04:45 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take this to A&S... we don't need this crap here in 50+...

:-)

p.s. go to West Marine or U.S. Boats and get a large flare gun... one shot 'across the bow' should do it!

Last edited by linux_author; 05-14-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 04:48 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
There was probably nothing else you could have done. In the modern world of digital communication however I doubt that I would have wetheld that last message!
Old 05-14-08, 07:08 PM
VoodooChile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deraltekluge
The proper hand signal for a left turn is to stick your arm straight out to the left, not pointing ahead to the intersection you're approaching. It sounds like you gave a confusing signal. But then, people are not used to seeing hand signals anymore, and it's possible that the driver would have misinterpreted anything you might have done.
Like I said, I'm not very diligent about signaling, but I assume that drivers are not familiar with hand signals. I point to intersections precisely because I'm afraid that a standard flat hand will be interpreted as a wave of "c'mon around".

As an aside, I once had to tow a car on a flatbed trailer that had no lights from Orangeburg South Carolina to Philadelphia, including through Washington DC (absolute WORST traffic east of the Mississippi...far worse than downtown Manhattan). I used standard hand signals the whole way and got some peculiar looks from drivers who obviously had no idea what I doing...but I was wrapped inside two tons of Chevy Suburban so I wasn't too concerned about other drivers' interpretations.
Old 05-14-08, 07:11 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I learned the only hand signal I ever really needed at an early age

No! - that would likely get you shot or worse. But I did think it was a funny picture...
Old 05-15-08, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You seem to be kinder by nature than I. You assume the driver mis-read your hand signal. I would likely have thought that the driver knew just what I meant, but didn't want to wait for me and passed just to get ahead of me. I suspect the only other thing you could have done is moved more toward the left of the lane you were in, but that has it's risks too. In such a case, the driver may then decide to pass you on the right. BTW, this is one of the reasons I wear a helmet mirror.
Old 05-15-08, 06:59 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by zoste
OK, I'll admit that I'm not terribly diligent about signaling, but listen to this:

I'm out for a "Dawn Patrol" ride this morning. I am approaching a side street where I want to make a left turn and I am about in the middle of the travel lane. I look into my mirror and notice that a car is approaching from behind. I figure that I'd better let the driver know why I am not going to move out of his way and give him the lane. So I stick out my left paw and point at the approaching intersection. Apparently the driver thinks that I am waiving him around so he pulls into the oncoming lane to pass me (It was about 6:15 am so there wasn't any traffic). Good thing that I was watching him 'cause I merely had to slow down and let him by, but...

What did I do wrong? Should I not have pointed? Is there some better signal to indicate "Hey I am about to turn right THERE"?

I had a hand signal for him after he started passing but I didn't use it...
Hmm, when I am preparing for a left, I pull to the left side of the lane to make my intentions clear. I can signal, but usually road or traffic conditions either don't warrant it or make it dangerous to take hands off the bars. Besides, as others have mentioned, hand signals are often misunderstood or ignored.

Old 05-15-08, 07:00 AM
VoodooChile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
...BTW, this is one of the reasons I wear a helmet mirror.
I always thought helmet mirrors or eyeglass mirrors looked dorky. I just purchased an eyeglasses clip-on mirror about a month ago and guess what:

I don't care how dorky I look wearing it!! I can see behind me! The blasted things just work too well not to wear one. If I had not been wearing the mirror I never would have known that the guy was passing me until it was too late.

Besides, my looking dorky embarrasses the hell out of my teenage sons
Old 05-15-08, 07:12 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool

No! - that would likely get you shot or worse. But I did think it was a funny picture...

I usually give them the pinky...that's for people who don't deserve the best
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pinky.jpg (11.3 KB, 111 views)

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-15-08, 07:20 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool

Animal lovers like this one, too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
catgivingfinger.jpg (47.1 KB, 11 views)

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-15-08, 11:10 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste
"Drivers" don't understand hand signals, or really much else in terms of the rules of the road.

... Brad
Old 05-15-08, 01:11 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
There are definitely exceptions, but I find that in most situations, most drivers respond correctly when I clearly communicate my intentions. Being predictable is the most important factor in riding in car traffic.
Old 05-15-08, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Without knowing the situation or hearing from the driver, my opinion is that you made a confusing signal that the driver didn't understand. I can certainly understand that if any signal departs from the conventional hand turn signals, there's room for misunderstanding.

Just signal properly. And do it all the time. That way, at least you'd know if the driver was being dumb and/or unsafe. This way you don't really know.
Old 05-15-08, 02:48 PM
Burn Rubber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I re-read the OP a couple times, and that's my interpretation...pointing ahead made it look like "go ahead". So on they went.

At that hour, it could have been a lack of coffee on the vehic driver's part too.
Old 05-15-08, 03:29 PM
VoodooChile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BRNRBR
I re-read the OP a couple times, and that's my interpretation...pointing ahead made it look like "go ahead". So on they went.
That was my thought, too, that somehow he thought I was waiving him around.

Originally Posted by BRNRBR
At that hour, it could have been a lack of coffee on the vehic driver's part too.
That is a doubt, the benefit of which I have no intention of giving him.
Old 05-15-08, 03:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you weren't hurt.

I think ot is safest to:

Item 1) Behave strictly according the rules of the road. This will prevent as much thinking as possible on the part of the approaching driver who, of course, knows and recognizes the rules of the road and reacts automatically, quickly, instinctively, predicably and safely to them.

Item 2) Assume you are a hunted animal and that, item one to the contrary, the approaching car could at any moment dispassionately hunt you down and run you over.
Old 05-15-08, 04:38 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Just signal properly.
I have to disagree. 1 out of 1,000 "drivers" understand proper hand signals. That, in itself, is bad. However, they may interpret your proper signal as the WRONG turn signal - that is REALLY bad!

Just point in the direction you are going to turn. Most "drivers" aren't looking anyway.

... Brad
Old 05-15-08, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by bac
I have to disagree. 1 out of 1,000 "drivers" understand proper hand signals. That, in itself, is bad. However, they may interpret your proper signal as the WRONG turn signal - that is REALLY bad!

Just point in the direction you are going to turn. Most "drivers" aren't looking anyway.

... Brad

I don't know why you're disagreeing - we actually agree because pointing the way you're planning to turn is proper hand signaling! You point straight left to turn left, you point straight right to turn right. I know that many might use the "left arm bent at an upward angle" to signal a right hand turn, but for bicyclists, the straight right arm signal is also legal and I believe a better signal. At least it's legal in my state. The left arm used for a right turn was invented for use in a left hand drive car. It makes absolutely no sense for a bicyclist. (IMHO, of course).
Old 05-15-08, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm always a bit fearful when turning left with a car approaching from the rear. I always signal and move at least to the center of the lane, but you never know if the driver approaching is a clueless moron who just sees another annoying bike in the road. It's a bad idea to signal timidly and move in a manner that shows a lack of self-assurance, but I sure don't want to end up in a left hook.
Old 05-15-08, 07:43 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If a cyclist in front of me gave an "arm extended" left turn signal, I'd know what he meant.

If he was pointing ahead at something, I'd have no idea what it is he is trying to convey to me.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-15-08, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VC means going in the proper turn lane and sticking the arm out right or left. We did that hundredths of times on this tour. No issues.
The single problem was that I misjudged the oncoming speed of a truck from behind BEFORE my signal. That almost did me in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.