Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I'm having a bad month :( (long)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 09:33 AM

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to whine but I need to get this stuff out.

I'm having a bad month! Seems like every where I turn there are too many challenges to overcome. First on the riding front, I'm supposed to be targeting 200 miles for the month - It an't going to happen at this rate (baring a sudden turn in fortunes). My health sucks - returned from Reno with a chest cold (turned out to be pneumonia), spent the first half of Monday in the hospital due to having picked up a kidney stone to boot (bonus was they accidentally saw the pneumonia in the CAT scan). I've been getting a nose bleeds when I ride (the 2 times this month) and at other random times. I go in for a colonoscopy (I'm only 36 for goodness sakes!) Not fun. Plus it means bailing on a 45 miler on Sunday to do the "prep" for the procedure, Yuck!

Now on a plus side I was down 2 pounds for the month since I've been following the doc's order to be better about what I eat. But the stress of the last three days got to me last night and I finally gave in to the urge for some high calorie stress relief. This of course driven by my wife having 2 nodules/nodes found on her Thyroid, along with the pain in the a** of getting her some antibiotics to fight off the bug I gave her (remember the aforementioned pneumonia). Seem every doctor she talks would believe her when she tells them the situation, they just want to treat her "allergies" instead. Finally, yesterday I got our GP's office to call in a perscription for her. We find out more info next week (had to cancel attending a work conference to be there for the appointment).

Top it all off, I have to walk away from a bunch of activities I should (wanted to) be doing for a whitewate club I'm supposed to be running, and the event series I am supposed to be coordinating starting next Friday. Why? Because I just can't be on top of that work, taking care of me, and take care of my family. This just sucks! I won't even get into the impact of the increased food/gas/life expenses is having on just getting by financially. It just all getting to me like never before.

Now for some balance to this post, I have one hell of a great 4-year old daughter who is just amazing, wife who is pretty amazing at keeping our household running, and I have a job that I like a lot too. But still this month has just been very hard!

Anyway thanks for reading, I just needed to vent a little (ok, maybe a lot).

Last edited by natbla; 05-15-08 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-08, 09:48 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by natbla
I go in for a colonoscopy (I'm only 36 for goodness sakes!) Not fun. Plus it means bailing on a 45 miler on Sunday to do the "prep" for the procedure, Yuck!.
Don't feel bad, I just had one done on the 5th to diagnose some bad rectal bleeding (and I'm 23). Turns out a cluster of 'roids were getting the best of me. The prep really s_cks the big one but the procedure itself is a breeze.

Just focus on getting well, the bike will be there when your well again.
Old 05-15-08, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm having a bad month! Seems like every where I turn there are too many challenges to overcome. First on the riding front, I'm supposed to be targeting 200 miles for the month - It an't going to happen at this rate (baring a sudden turn in fortunes). My health sucks - returned from Reno with a chest cold (turned out to be pneumonia), spent the first half of Monday in the hospital due to having picked up a kidney stone to boot (bonus was they accidentally saw the pneumonia in the CAT scan). I've been getting a nose bleeds when I ride (the 2 times this month) and at other random times. I go in for a colonoscopy (I'm only 36 for goodness sakes!) Not fun. Plus it means bailing on a 45 miler on Sunday to do the "prep" for the procedure, Yuck!

Now for some balance to this post, I have one hell of a great 4-year old daughter who is just amazing, wife who is pretty amazing at keeping our household running, and I have a job that I like a lot too. But still this month has just been very hard!

Yeah, it's been a real sucky year, first it's anywhere from 5-10 degrees C below normal since early April, when it hasn't been too cold, it's been raining, and when it's warm enough and dry enough, there is high winds so for a month when I wanted to get in almost 600km, right now in the middle of the month I am sitting at 87km, wondering if I will be able to match last years 206km for the month. I've been on vacation this week and managed a paltry 16km for the week, mostly due to the weather. I want to get caught up, but it's not going to be easy. I had 3 projects for this week, and have accomplished one.
Old 05-15-08, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GEEZ man! I know how you feel...been in similar straits before.
It's the hardest thing to do, this letting go of plans and activities long enough to recuperate fully.
I didn't and it wound up costing me a career and extending my recovery a looooong time.
I hate losing momentum in training and life. But better to scale back short term than to be out for years.
Sorry you got dropped into the deep end.
STOP for a while and take care of yourself and your family.

My Good Thoughts to you and yours.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 05-16-08, 01:29 AM

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hang in there, focus on yours and your families health first and foremost. Sounds like you've been through the mill but theres always next month to make up for it. keep venting, theres plenlty of people listening
Old 05-16-08, 03:31 AM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now on a plus side I was down 2 pounds for the month...

I have one hell of a great 4-year old daughter who is just amazing, wife who is pretty amazing at keeping our household running, and I have a job that I like a lot too.
Life sucks at times, but look at your positives and the big picture (see above). Most people would love to have what you've got. In the big picture of life this is a minor setback. Summer is not even here yet. You'll have time to ride. Take care of your health and family first.
Old 05-16-08, 07:18 AM

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all th encouragement, I really appreciate it. Thing's are looking a little better today (despite the rain), seems the radiologist report has the good word "benign" on it. This makes me more hopeful though I am skeptical since there hasn't been any real testing other than an ultrasound. Still I'll take that over the alternative until we hear differently next Wednesday.
Old 05-16-08, 07:40 AM

Bikes: giant ATX 760, Falcon Road Bike (ss) custom marinoni tourismo (full dresser) ,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On to each life some mondays must fall.

weve all had a bad run of things and for some reason the bad stuff goes away.

some zen insight fall down 7 times stand up 8

be like a wild flower in the meadow they just sit giving whats theirs to give, the bend when there is wind they dont bend when there is no wind. they dont fear the ever comming frosts of winter as they Know spring is shortly there behind.

2 years ago I had a real bad week

1) bought a new (Used boat) the previous owner trailered it I had a seasonal dock any way the boat was delivered and put in water , but had a dried out outdrive seal and almost sunk , couldnt find anyone to repair it for 3 weeks.

2) lost my wallet

3) developed a gum infection when I was up to camp for the week hours from home

4) gashed my Knee with a chain saw (it wasnt running) I fell and landed on blade

5) a bird flew into one of the long window at the camp and shattered it, speacial order glass 2weeks

6) when I arrived at the camp one of my relatives left the kitchen faucet on the week before just a trickle but had the faucet over the counter rather than the sink so the kitchen floor was soaked and 2 tiles had to be replaced

7) I couldnt even trout fish cuz we had so much rain the local rivers were washed out

yep it was a bad week I never wanted to take a week off again

It will get better!

"John"
Old 05-16-08, 07:50 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Take it easy. Pneumonia takes a while to get over. Had it twice then TB.

Old 05-16-08, 08:22 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Now on a plus side I was down 2 pounds for the month since I've been following the doc's order to be better about what I eat. But the stress of the last three days got to me last night and I finally gave in to the urge for some high calorie stress relief. This of course driven by my wife having 2 nodules/nodes found on her Thyroid, along with the pain in the a** of getting her some antibiotics to fight off the bug I gave her (remember the aforementioned pneumonia). Seem every doctor she talks would believe her when she tells them the situation, they just want to treat her "allergies" instead. Finally, yesterday I got our GP's office to call in a perscription for her. We find out more info next week (had to cancel attending a work conference to be there for the appointment).

Top it all off, I have to walk away from a bunch of activities I should (wanted to) be doing for a whitewate club I'm supposed to be running, and the event series I am supposed to be coordinating starting next Friday. Why? Because I just can't be on top of that work, taking care of me, and take care of my family. This just sucks! I won't even get into the impact of the increased food/gas/life expenses is having on just getting by financially. It just all getting to me like never before.

Please do so. We've all had to overcome varying problems and frustrations. And often we've shared them on this forum.

And, as you know, Neils on Wheels members vent all the time - usually at each other.

Old 05-16-08, 07:53 PM
the6abds

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only a passing thought. Before you start the prep, buy some Charmin.
Old 05-17-08, 06:33 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Good luck and good thoughts out to you - the rough patches pass but they seem like an eternity.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-17-08, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feel free to get it off your chest here, Natbla, You are so not alone.
For those of us who are or have gone through similar, we can empathize with you. Keep on keeping on. Pneumonia seemed to last forever last time I had it, but after a few months I was back enjoying riding, then later riding hard, again.