Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Rush Hour Spokes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 01:36 PM
Singlespeed Outlaw

Bikes: Raleigh Rush Hour '07, daily commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rush Hour Spokes

I've sprung and replaced 3 now in about a month. Spokes keep leaving the hub, not the rim. Is this a known issue on this Raleigh model ('07)? Bike still under full warranty and shop service plan - go for new wheel or ask for total spoke replacement?

thanks
Old 07-17-08, 01:43 PM
kinda useless.

Bikes: Tommaso Augusta, Raleigh Sirocco, Raleigh Sovereign, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh...that sounds weird. Like the spokes are unthreading? Mine never had any problems.

If it's covered, you might as well just get it replaced and take advantage of that LBS love.
Old 07-17-08, 01:45 PM
Singlespeed Outlaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right. But at first the guy said he would talk to Raleigh about a new wheel - which seems...excessive to me. The wheel is fine. Replacing with better spokes should do the trick, eh?

No, not unthreading - breaking off at the hub. Gives off a devastating 'twangg' you really don't want to hear while cranking.
Old 07-17-08, 02:28 PM
kinda useless.

Bikes: Tommaso Augusta, Raleigh Sirocco, Raleigh Sovereign, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, since the wheels are machine-built, they just replace the major components. It may be excessive, but that's how it is. Raleigh will probably give them a new wheel, but not new spokes. Doesn't cost anybody, except for Raleigh, a thing. And they're a huge bike manufacturer so don't feel bad about making them take the hit. They sent you a bad wheel, anyway.
Old 07-25-08, 09:29 AM
Singlespeed Outlaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Follow-Up:

Raleigh has agreed to pay the rebuilding costs for my problem wheel. They are looking into possible production errors for this 57 inch '07 Rush Hour.